Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rape. (new image at official FO3 site)

obediah

Erudite
Jasede said:
Yo dawg, call me crazy, niggah, but I assume the survivors got rid of the rubble and debris blocking the streets, ain't that reasonable?

Well not just the streets, any given piece of property seems to be either half of a 15+ story building or clear land. That means a lot of missing buildings and the other half of all the buildings pictured there.

I would expect some half-standing buildings and a bunch of completely collapsed ones.

Again, for emphasis, I don't hold a degree in nuclear destruction, and painting every twisted beam would be like painting every single hair in a portrait. I was just curious.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The picture reminds me of the carrier level from Far Cry.
And while it looks awesome, I wonder how the carrier ended up there. Was there an enormous flood that since receeded?

As for the lack of rubble between the still standing ruins, my guess is that the artist looked at pictures of Hiroshima for inspiration on how a nuked city looks. However, most buildings in pre-war hiroshima were made of wood, and were completely blown away by the bomb, while the few brick buildings were left as skeletons.

Modern american cities of course use mostly concrete construction, so the ruins in an area should look similar. If one building is still halfway standing, then the neighbouring building should be somewhat intact to, or at least have left a sizeable pile of concrete rubble.

denizsi

Arcane
Either the artist took some ridiculous liberties, as the carrier is just way too overblown out of realistic proportions compared to the buildings, or it's Bethesda's idiocy at work.

Excrément

Arbiter
the arts of Oblivion were shitty as hell, these one look good. that's the only good news we have for now.

Lumpy

Arcane
Jasede said:
Callaxes said:
Come on guys! Do you realy want to lose 40 bucks again? Get off the hype train, artworks don't mean shit for the actual game.

Just look at Morrowind

That artwork has nice, alien architecture and a strange and foreign world.
Morrowind had nice, alien architecture and a strange and foreign world.

What the is your point?
It could have been better.

Section8

Cipher
By my estimates, that carrier is about 40-50 metres tall, and that's a whole lot shorter than a 15-20 storey building. Not that I really care, since it's a good, evokative bit of concept, and far and away the best Fallout 3 related content we've seen thus far, despite having no retro-futurism stamped on it. Again.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Here's a related picture I found on the Internets a while back:
58284_1120382988.jpg

That's pretty cool, huh.

taxacaria

Scholar
Section8 said:
... despite having no retro-futurism stamped on it. Again.

And that's a fact I'm worried about.
Those pics aren't so bad, but they don't provide a Fallout feeling at all.
They have as much Fallout atmosphere as S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has.

denizsi

Arcane
Check this, it explains the proportions

That only explains what the original source material most likely is and the location. However it does give a sense of proportions and after looking at the real photographs, the concept art starts looking really bad due to overblown proportions of the carrier.

Araanor

Liturgist
Section8 said:
There's a new image, and it looks fantastic. Still no signs of Fallout though.
Yeah, exactly my impression. It's fine work, but this makes it three teaser concept art paintings where none have a distinct Fallout feel.

Fallout 3 visual style prediction: uninspiring generic post-apocalypse. A handful of Fallout retro-future references in the form of Fallout boy, a few token vacuum tubes and maybe a big computer.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I know. Like, wtf does fallout 3 concept art have to do with fallout?. Like, omg.
You're just too smart for me man. You know, yesterday I was eating beer bread. My mom told me there was no alcohol in it. No alcohol in beer bread?. Wtf that's retarded, like omg.

golgotha

Liturgist
Araanor said:
Section8 said:
There's a new image, and it looks fantastic. Still no signs of Fallout though.
Yeah, exactly my impression. It's fine work, but this makes it three teaser concept art paintings where none have a distinct Fallout feel.

Fallout 3 visual style prediction: uninspiring generic post-apocalypse. A handful of Fallout retro-future references in the form of Fallout boy, a few token vacuum tubes and maybe a big computer.
Really, that should be the least of our worries. I think it looks awesome, though admittedly not in Fallout's style. If the visual styles were the only things butchered, I'd be happy.

xedoc gpr

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
I know. Like, wtf does fallout 3 concept art have to do with fallout?. Like, omg.
You're just too smart for me man. You know, yesterday I was eating beer bread. My mom told me there was no alcohol in it. No alcohol in beer bread?. Wtf that's retarded, like omg.

...is that it!? I want more!

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Although it has been pointed out already, I'd like to say again that this isn't even concept art, but "set the mood" art which has even less to do with the game.

I'm pretty sure the artists worked very independently on them, the only order from Todd being "paint us some postapoc and stuff", so the connection of those pictures to the game is lose at best.

The guy did the similiar work for Age of Empires 3. The pictures were great, but almost nothing in the game nor the actual concept art resemble any of them.

While we can discuss the quality of the images (the last one is really great but now that I think of it that carrier is really way too big) I think its not really possible to draw any conclusions, be it positive or negative from them on the actual game.

Well, maybe the fact that Todd either forgot or didn't care to tell the artists about the retrofuture aspect of Fallout. I guess that already tells us a little about Bethesdas approach towards the scenario.

xedoc gpr

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
Sorry, you have to work for it. Better trolls than you have gotten less.

yea thats true maybe that guy who keeps posting (ignored) unrelated one liners about global warming in every thread can give me advice kingcooties or something i forget

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Alright, whatever your bullshit is, the implication of my post was that the artwork isn't related to Fallout because Fallout 3 is not related to Fallout. Do you need help with the super subtle message here? I can help if you need it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom