Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommended Morrowind mods?

Stabwound

Arcane
After reading through the "Morrowind As Above So Below" thread I got the urge to go on the biennial week long adventure of installing/modding Morrowind so I can play it for a few days and not touch it again. Yes, I know there have been threads about this before, but the last one I can find is 8 months old and I'm sure is outdated by now.

So far I have the "must have" mods; the unofficial patches, better bodies/heads/beasts/clothes, the "morrowind visual pack" texture pack (still trying to decide if I like it or Darker Morrowind better), and high-res readable signs. I'm also using the Morrowind Graphics Extender, and the distant land view is nice although to me the game sort of loses atmosphere when the fog is completely gone. Shaders for the most part gimp my framerate, and for some reason the animated grass option assrapes it to about 10fps. Not really sure why.

Anyway, what are the recommended mods these days? I've seen Morrowind Advanced and Galsiah's Character Development mentioned in a few places which I will likely use, as the original Morrowind levelling system is pretty shitty. Are there any good mods that change up the combat system? I remember a few years ago there was one that did a bunch of stuff, adding "bullet time", decapitations, different moves and stuff, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called and I haven't seen anyone mention it. I haven't really looked for it yet, though. Then again, It was probably a lot worse than I'm remembering it to be.

Soo, yeah. Suggestions would be awesome.

Stabwound

Arcane
Yeah, I know. It's been like 6 years since I've used that mod, and it's probably terrible, but the stock Morrowind combat is one of the weakest parts of the game and anything to improve it is welcome.

Mangoose said:
Am at a loss as to how Bullet-Time would enhance any sort of combat.

Works better than VATS on FO3. Spends your action points + no cheap defense + you aim manually

For Morrowind iirc these combat mods don't change the npcs combat skills, so they may get on the cheap side.

Pliskin

Arbiter
Morrowind has been unplayable for me for some time now, thanks to the poor coding used by Bethesduh. Evidently the game processes rely heavily on the computer CPU --- to the point that even graphics bypass video card and drag down CPU cycles all to hell. It's especially noticable with AMD processors, resulting in a very jerky stuttering to animations, and a freeze whenever a new cell is loaded.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Actually, I'm curious now. Does the mod enhance the combat moves other NPCs also deal? Would be nice so it's not a whack-a-mole affair.

Stabwound

Arcane
Thanks, except that's the exact 8 month old one I mentioned in the first post. Okay, it's actually 6 months old, but some of this stuff is still updated often, especially the MGE stuff, even though this is an 8 year old game. I figured it would be better to have a new thread rather than perform thread necromancy.

catfood

AGAIN
I have been replaying this game for some time now (including the expansions) and the only 2 mods I have are the unofficial patch thing plus Galsiah's Character development mod because it makes the leveling system so much better, plus magicka regeneration over time based on willpower and various magical skills so I don't have to rest after every firebite I cast.

Helton

Arcane
Lot of cool Telvanni mods I've been playing this go around. Uvirith's Legacy, Building Up Uvirith's Legacy, Rise of House Telvanni for starters probably quintuples Telvanni quests and awesomeness, which was considerable to begin with. Pax Redoran is cool in a similiar vane but very buggy.

And you already mentioned it but Galsiah's Character Development is pretty much only Must Have mod for me.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Stabwound said:
Thanks, except that's the exact 8 month old one I mentioned in the first post. Okay, it's actually 6 months old, but some of this stuff is still updated often, especially the MGE stuff, even though this is an 8 year old game. I figured it would be better to have a new thread rather than perform thread necromancy.
I didn't mean it like that, a new thread is fine by me (did this myself). I'm lazy so I just posted the link as reference.

Dulsya Isle: A new island in the Vvardenfell region, where two relatively small settlements are squabbling for resources and rights. Choose which one to help, and expansions will spring up connected to each quest and task you perform. The community itself will grow, but don't expect the rival group to take it too well.

http://dulsyaisle.nickj.net/

The LGNPC (Less Generic Non-Player Character) series of mods: Tired of every community in Vvardenfell basically having the same topics and responses, seemingly cookie-cutter copies of one another? No longer. Hundreds of new and unique topics specific to certain regions or towns, and corresponding quests.

http://www.lgnpc.org/

These next three are all for atmosphere, as they add hundreds of new creatures to the world. Farm animals, many types of fish and birds, NPCs who fish on occasion, sunken ships and buried treature, etc, etc.

Wilderness Mod

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... ail&id=917

Water Life

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... ail&id=258

Where Are All the Birds Going?

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... il&id=2786

Vvaderdenfell Druglord: Develop your own drug lab, claw your way into power in the seedy underworld. Deal with battles both physical, financial, and political.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... il&id=3548

The last two mods of this post (I'll do more after I get some sleep) are New Suran Extended and Suran Underworld. New Suran Extended is a combination of two previous mods, and dramatically expands the town, providing new customized shops, people, and quests.

Suran Underworld adds a criminal organization that controls the underbelly of the town (adding some pretty decent real estate through trap doors placed around), it's sort of like a version of the Camonna Tong that doesn't hate you on sight. Rise in stature, wrestle power for yourself, blah blah.

New Suran Extended

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... il&id=5244

Suran Underworld

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... il&id=1777

Helton said:
Building Up Uvirith's Legacy, Rise of House Telvanni

These two, right here. Building Up Uvirith's Grave, and Rise of House Telvanni cannot be recommended enough.

Really, most Telvanni stuff can't be recommended enough.

You also can't forget Grow Your Own Telvanni Towers.

I'll throw up their links when I wake up, if no one else has. Night.

Multi-headed Cow

Shit some of those sound like some neat quest mods. Particularly druglord and underworld, if they're as good as they sound.

Might give Morrowind another go with some of these.

Project: Eternity
Fuck, for some reason some meshes got screwed up somehow. Amethysts, daedroth claws and something else seems to be missing and I'm staring at a massive yellow FILE NOT FOUND replacement marker in the Balmora mage guild and some other places. Also some things don't have icons and show some dummy icon. Anyone know what the hell happened? I don't feel like reinstalling this.

Luzur

Good Sir
the kids mod, those bigger cities mods, the new monster mods, that mod with new beast bodies, better bodies, better clothes, banks of Morrowind mod, that anti-slavery mod, Tamriel Rebuilt Morrowind part (if they ever finish the damn thing.)

cant remember their names, just look on TESNexus.

DraQ

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:
Fuck, for some reason some meshes got screwed up somehow. Amethysts, daedroth claws and something else seems to be missing and I'm staring at a massive yellow FILE NOT FOUND replacement marker in the Balmora mage guild and some other places. Also some things don't have icons and show some dummy icon. Anyone know what the hell happened? I don't feel like reinstalling this.
Register the .bsa archive in your morrowind.ini given how susceptible bsareg.exe is to all kinds of non-standard situations I recommend that you do it by hand, given that this is the Codex, which is a site for Elite individuals (just like me, see Black Willow's signature) I expect you to find out how on your own.

Also, if MCP hasn't been recommended ITT, it now has.

Project: Eternity
Had a look at my short list of mods and removed some alchemy one that added some new ingredients, which fixed it. Guess I screwed up the installation of that one, but I can live without it.

Mogar

Scholar
I'll post some that the others have not mentioned.

You should also get the FPSOptimizer, which not only allows you to force the view distance up to twice as far or twice as close as vanilla, it also allows you to set Morrowind's priority (I like to set it at Above Normal, High is to buggy for me and Above Normal gives just the right amount of stability and FPS gain).

If you want more loot to the leveled list, theres the HELLUVA series of mods, even if some of the weapons / armor are overpowered / overpriced.

Be sure you have MGE's latest build (3.8.0-SVN_rev-118) and not the one off of Elder Scrolls Planet or the Nexus.

If you can get it, Timeslip also has the the excellent EXE patcher that fixes much of Morrowind's buggines, but failing that (his site's down right now, I believe) there's the Morrowind Code Patcher combined with the Unofficial Morrowind Patcher.

If you want to feel more immersed you can get Darknut's 1st Person Enhanced, which makes you feel less like a pair of floating hands carrying a sword and shield and more like you actually have a body (imagine something like Thief's 1st person).

Darknut also has the excellent Greater Dwermer Ruins, which greatly expands the main quest dungeons and makes the final dungeon into something that actually looks like a final dungeon. However, these conflict with Great House Dagoth and 6th House (unless you have the CS skills), both of which gives you the ability to join House Dagoth and carry out Dagoth Ur's will. Of the two, GHD is the superior of the two, as it is more ambiguous vs 6th House, which has you doing a bunch of lolevulz crap.

Horatio's NPCs Enhanced makes the NPC's flee when severely hurt, allowing you pacifistfags to complete the game with a minimal amount of murder.

ToggleSneak is pretty much a must have for stealthy characters.

starwarsguy9875 has the best sky textures. Also, if you have the know how, you can change the sky's color into something especially fantastic / psychedelic. Purple and green skies somehow suit Morrowind, if you think about it.

If you want better vanilla armor, Hedgehog12's sets are probably the best. Here's a pic:

1249850819_fullres.jpg

1250097559_fullres.jpg

Giants and Wilderness adds tons of creatures to Morrowind. Giants is the more fantastic of the pair, while the Wilderness has more creatures you'd see in the real world.

If you want better heads, there's World of Faces, leeloo's Changing Faces Replacer and its addon, and as ever, the classical (and light) Rhedd's Heads. That is, if you aren't happy with your current choice.

Finally, get an animation mod. Vanilla Morrowind has some of the worst animations I've seen in a game, so you'll want to get the AnimKit off of LizTails and get Dirnae's animations from Bethesda's Forum. There's a couple of others out there, but I haven't really looked that hard. Oh, and avoid Oshiel's animations like the plague.

I'll post more if I can think of any, but I think I got most of them. Also, Mythic Mods (http://mwmythicmods.com/) has a comprehensive list of just about every notable mod you'll need.

Nickless

Educated
I'm sorry but that last picture is just awful. It's something that would not look out of place at some Mardi Gras gay pride parade.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom