Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Risen 2 interview at PCR-online

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I have no idea from what the site takes its name, but they have just published a new interview with Daniel Oberlerchner from Deep Silver. Since he's not from Piranha Bytes, it's understandable that the inerview contains little new info about the game. But there are a few puzzling comments on PC vs. console gamers (emphasis mine):

(...) what do you think the differences are between PC and console players – and how do you cater to those differences with the same game?

The difference between the PC and consoles is that the PC serves as a device for work, entertainment and communication, whereas the consoles are more or less focusing on entertainment, though communication features are being slowly introduced.

The media consumption habits of console players differ from those of PC gamers in the way that the majority of console gamers don’t have many hours in the day to dedicate to games. That doesn’t mean that they don’t spend a lot of time playing a game once they know how to play it, it’s just that the attention span is lower, the need for early incentives is higher, so that the content has to be prepared for folks who come home from work in the evening and want to enjoy their game in chunks.

The way we tackle this challenge without diluting the experience for the dedicated hardcore gamer is that we don’t force the help we are offering to beginners down the throat of every player.

We made sure that the learning curve is not as steep as in Risen 1 and also restricted the actions one can take in the first minutes of the game. Genre veterans however will be able to get through the prologue in a few minutes, while beginners will enjoy not only proper guidance on what to do but also information about the story of the hero character in case the player hasn't played Risen 1 at all.​

Weird. I'd have though the situation would be opposite time-wise. Anyone has any sources?

You said recently that there is a technology gap between platforms – between Xbox 360 and PC, for example, but that it was important to create the optimum experience for each one. That must be a challenge.

Although the technology on PC is constantly evolving, the question you have to ask yourself is whether that means that you have to move at the same pace.

In the case of Risen 2 we are very fortunate that we don't have to lead in the technology race. Risen 2 already looks stunning in DirectX 9 because better technology doesn't necessarily allow for a better RPG experience.

Although Risen 2 features fluid animations, advanced lighting, particle effects, 3D soundscapes and very cool water shaders with real time caustics and refractions and all those bells and whistles, it’s the living and breathing world that is the star. In the end, it’s not about the brush that paints the picture, but the artist.​

:salute:

Spotted at: Game Banshee

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The media consumption habits of console players differ from those of PC gamers in the way that the majority of console gamers don’t have many hours in the day to dedicate to games. That doesn’t mean that they don’t spend a lot of time playing a game once they know how to play it, it’s just that the attention span is lower, the need for early incentives is higher, so that the content has to be prepared for folks who come home from work in the evening and want to enjoy their game in chunks.
Weird. I'd have though the situation would be opposite time-wise. Anyone has any sources?
Well, if you rule out kids & teenagers I think it's spot on. An older & working BRO that's not that into gaming will just buy an console, it's way easier than keeping a gaming PC up to date.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, I'm working and wouldn't ever buy a console. I have a device for work which I can also use for gaming. This is effective. Also, I don't have a TV and don't want to have one.

I'd expect kids and teenagers to have consoles bought for them by their parents, and grown-ups to have PCs...

In the last years you really didn't need to keep up your PC up to date; all good games are DX9 games and since many of them have to run on consoles they'll run on PCs quite mediocre by today's PC standard.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Well, I'm working and wouldn't ever buy a console. I have a device for work which I can also use for gaming. This is effective. Also, I don't have a TV and don't want to have one.

I'd expect kids and teenagers to have consoles bought for them by their parents, and grown-ups to have PCs...
Here at work I'm the only "serious" gamer, and the only one to have a PC able for gaming. People only use weak Laptops & Macbooks for work, and some of the guys have a XBox 360 or PS3 to play casually a soccer or FPS game.

Shannow

Waster of Time

In the last years you really didn't need to keep up your PC up to date; all good games are DX9 games and since many of them have to run on consoles they'll run on PCs quite mediocre by today's PC standard.
I don't see why there should be a significant difference. Certainly not one big enough to specifically point out.
Console games take longer to load = less time to play?
No, seriously, whether you have time to play a lot or not is not dependant on platform. He probably just looked for a polite way to descibe the average consoler's ADD *shrug*

Redlands

Arcane
I don't see why there should be a significant difference. Certainly not one big enough to specifically point out.
Console games take longer to load = less time to play?
No, seriously, whether you have time to play a lot or not is not dependant on platform. He probably just looked for a polite way to descibe the average consoler's ADD *shrug*

I think it may be more the fact that it's either more expensive or more of a hassle to get a PC set up for playing games, and if most games are going to be released on a console anyway. If you don't have a lot of time to game, all other things being equal, are you going to lean towards a platform that requires less fiddling AND is the intended platform AND you can return the games you don't enjoy or towards on where these are issues? And that's putting things into a rather simplistic viewpoint when you've also got other people you want to play games with who may have these platforms, the marketing, what is currently appearing mostly in walk-in game stores, etc.

Also, Elwro is I think making the mistake where he conflates what he does with standard practice of everyone. A well-educated (from what I recall of him) PC gaming enthusiast from Europe is going to be rather far away from the average person who might want to play a few titles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom