Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview RPG Codex Preview: A peek at Legends of Eisenwald

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I didn't understand from the preview - can you equip items just on the hero, or on the troops as well?

On every single dude! I didn't know either, but it looks HAWT. Really, really HAWT. Their model changes pretty drastically too it looks like.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Yes, each unit including the hero can be equipped with different items according to their skills - a peasant won't be able to handle a two-handed sword for example...

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Yeah, dat troop inventory was what really made this stand out.

Aterdux , :salute:
Well, many things are good in our game :) I think that next thing again like during Kickstarter would be to do a combat video, this time more fun and sophisticated. Our combat system raises a lot of questions (which is a good thing) and now they can be answered more in depth. I wish those guys from Pixabyte would make one :), they are good...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Well, many things are good in our game :)
No doubt, but that's what really showed me how complex this will be. I always knew it would be a nice mix of Mount & Blade and King's Bounty, but you guys even added more, things that everyone wanted in those games. I mean, ffs, TWELVE inventory slots for EACH troop! We hardly get that on single player RPGs for the main character anymore! And they level up and have a upgrade tree! ITZ HEAVENZ!

I hope those lazy bastards that do M&B and KB see this and decide to actually improve their games, instead of releasing the same stuff over and over again...

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
The monster variety will be a bit more but not much - having too many will go against our low fantasy setting.

Backstabbing is one of the skills, there are other skills, some of the skills units have by default, other are based by weapons. Two-handed sword can attack more than one unit, for example, I think that is a placement attack.

And we don't have cannons (yet), but we are thinking of adding them at a later point.

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
No doubt, but that's what really showed me how complex this will be. I always knew it would be a nice mix of Mount & Blade and King's Bounty, but you guys even added more, things that everyone wanted in those games. I mean, ffs, TWELVE inventory slots for EACH troop! We hardly get that on single player RPGs for the main character anymore! And they level up and have a upgrade tree! ITZ HEAVENZ!

I hope those lazy bastards that do M&B and KB see this and decide to actually improve their games, instead of releasing the same stuff over and over again...

QFT

I poured many hours into M&B + Warband and enjoyed it alot, but there's so much wasted potential that they never really fixed in the newer releases. It makes me sad just to think about the stats & skill system and how it could have been much better with some more work put in to it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I mean, ffs, TWELVE inventory slots for EACH troop!

This is the absolute high-note for me. I hope it will be assisted by a good variety of items to equip in those slots. If those two combine to make a really deep customization here, then man. This could get really sweet.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Always in mood for questions :)

Heroes grow each level on stats and you can select one of the special abilities. So each hero would be pretty exclusive unit, and usually more powerful than units that grow with carreer paths.

Mystic has his unique spell system, so his spells will be unique or sometimes similar to other schools spells.

And no, there won't be friendly fire.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Yes, battle log will be there. We kind of regret we didn't prioritize it higher because it would have been useful now to test beta. But we are still learning :) And planning isn't our strong side anyway, as it turned out.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
We have types of weapons that ignore certain percentage of armour. Otherwise, I am not sure if I got your question right. There is no "missing" target in our game.

Challenge will be tough at higher level of difficulty. And "puzzle solving" will be there too, since now we know way better how to do it interesting. Or wait, at least we think we know :)

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
I would love to share some of the new things but some are not final yet - and I am afraid to promise things we won't do. We had to remove some of the things because they were either strange or over powerful. At this point I'd rather keep quiet about it and when I am sure we will share it :) But mounted units will be much more fun in LoE compared to DT.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Game looks fantastic for an Indy. I backed this quite a while back, looking forward to it.

Questions;

The interview mentions there are tactics in combat. Does this mean formations are important? So keeping your characters back to back is a good idea? IS there any shieldwall like tactics or is it more indivual per turn combat?

Also, Is the game more of a game where you explore around and find stuff and level up, or more of a game where you defeat enemy territories to expand your land lik grand strategy games? Are there any dungeons to explore?

Very glad its low fantasy, I love medieval themed stuff and always wanted more low fantasy more medieval themed rpgs.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Formations are already important, and they will be more important as we finish programming more things. Right now it's mostly individual per turn combat, but there will be some things similar to shieldwall tactics.

And it's more the game to explore around and level up, not so much of a strategy. No dungeons. I think our game is best described by saying it's RPG with elements of strategy.

We are planning out long campaign and several short ones, in a way similar to DT where we had one long campaign and other smaller ones. I personally like more long campaigns. For example, when I first played Disciples 2, I played short scenarios and I didn't like it much. It all changed when I started the saga.

As for low-fantasy, we like medieval world where superstitions and beliefs of people at that time become alive. Magic is there, but there is healing, curses, alchemy etc. There are undead and vampires...

You are absolutely right about monsters and their mechanic, it adds quite a bit to our work. But for an expansion we will come up with more stuff, including monsters.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
I think the most frequent question is whether or not our game is similar to some other. And also the same thing about the combat - is it similar to HOMM, is it a clone of something etc. I keep repeating - LoE is not a clone, no love for clones in our studio :)

Another popular question that we get is - why no multi-player? I often say that it's not that easy to do, and we don't know an interesting way to do it yet other than just a map where your ran around without any story and fight each other. Anyway, we focus on single player, this is harder to do than a simple multi-player, in our opinion.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Sounds better and better the more I hear. Its ok there are no dungeons as they don't really make alot of sense in a medieval setting other than a place to throw prisoners.

Will we be able to take castles or upgrade our own?

Have you thought about an achievement system like pirates! Or crusader kings 2 have? Always thought it was fun to see where you rank at the end....maybe something like 'peasant' for low level characters and 'knight errant' for higher levels on retirement.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Yes, castles can be taken but upgrades will be only later, in an expansion pack. Castle upgrades was one of our stretch goals and we didn't get enough funds for that. The feature I am looking forward to do the most is two-stage castle assault! First you attack the castle from outside, use a ram, and then you are in the inner yard :) That will be in the game at some point too!

There will be some achievment system, we have a draft document for how it's going to look like, but we haven't started working on it yet - other things are more important at the moment.

Saxon1974

Prophet
I posted these on your kickstart page but ill also post here for more exposure.

A few questions and feedback;
1) How big is the world map? From the video when its shows the journal with the map around the 16 minute point I can see about 5 or 6 castles near the starting area. How much of the world map would you say that is?
2) Do you have relations that are tracked with a neighboring barony? Say If I stole some land or attacked a tax collector would that make my neighbor an enemy and would he attack my castle?
3) It appears most locations your only option is to hire more troops. Are there any interiors in the game?

The castles all seem fairly close to each other which seems a bit odd. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense having 5 castles all within a 2 minute walk of each other. I realize this is an indy game though so maybe its a resource issue. Maybe it was decided big empty areas would be boring?

I saw some dailog errors but I realize this is an early beta. Some of the English translaction seemed a bit weird too.

I love the look of the game, maybe the best looking indy game I have ever seen. Really nice work on the character models, the landscape with hills and trees and the buildings.

Looking great so far really looking forward to playing this.

Syl

Cipher
After reading this thread, there's no more doubt. AE really is the opposite of EA.
:brodex:

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Saxon1974, here is cut and paste from what we posted at Kickstarter:
1. The maps in the games are showing a part of the world, and they are different sizes. This map is a small one, we didn't give much thought to scale but it's about 10-15 km in length and width. This scenario has 4 castles.
2. Yes, relations are tracked and certain actions can worsen your relations.
3. Locations have more functions: hiring troops, buying/selling equipment, receiving quests, and yes, we don't have interiors.

Castles are close to each other within minutes of real time, that might be true, but they are within hours of game time. And yes, big empty spaces seem boring, this is not so much a resource issue, we have bigger maps and they will be in the game.

As for errors in dialogs, I think that is something that we will need to discuss further. Some say translation is good, others say it seems weird (if we overlook some obvious mistakes and typos). We are trying to understand what exactly needs to be adjusted, it's not that clear at the moment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom