Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Saint's Row 2

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Haha. I was playing this at a friend's place. I was playing an early mission called Septic Avenger. It has like 6 stages, and in all of them you man the turret of a septic truck and you spray everyone and everything with shit. Probably the best mission in a game I've ever played. An AI drives the truck and you can tell him to stop if you need more time to hose down some buildings for points.

I bought Saints Row 2 last week and it's pretty fun. Septic Avenger is p. easy, but still fun. I think the fight club activity is the best though. Visceral.

DefJam101

Arcane
One could say...

...this is the new shit.
emo-emot-smug.gif

Phelot

Arcane
ITS SO COOL TO USE POOP HOSE ON ENEMIES N THEN I GOT A GRANDMA TOO LOL SHE WAS IN THE POOP TOO I LOVE IT

Slobbergoat

Novice
phelot said:
ITS SO COOL TO USE POOP HOSE ON ENEMIES N THEN I GOT A GRANDMA TOO LOL SHE WAS IN THE POOP TOO I LOVE IT

ya rly brohan... games leik this are too immatture for our refinde tastes... i prefre games wif well dveloped storys... and cgaracters... leik bolivian and final fantasy 7...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey, it *is* a fun game.
My favourite mission was the one where you had to inflict a certain amount of property damage.
Oh, and insurance fraud. Especially insurance fraud.

Slobbergoat

Novice
That's what makes SR2 so great, in my opinion - it rejects any idea of having any pretense of class or maturity in exchange for simply allowing the player to indulge in the psychotic, antisocial and puerile sort of behavior that everyone - regardless of how thick a neckbeard/sweatervest combo they've buried themseles in - secretly yearns for.

That and the cutscenes are fantastically well done and finally match the way players actually play the game rather than being in a different world like the GTA ones.

Gerrard

Arcane
Coop is mad fun.
Also, Volition basically said "Fuck off" to people who bought the PC version, so yeah.

Multi-headed Cow

I got this on PC since it was cheap and it runs like a complete turd. Anyone got any tips on how to make the PC version more playable? Namely, remove the stuttering from driving?

Slobbergoat

Novice
Install the patch and turn textures down, supposedly. Not sure what else would help since I've only heard about those ideas from the goons on SA.

Nedrah

Erudite
The game ran bad to the point of being unplayable when I tried it. Does the patch really change performance dramatically?

Multi-headed Cow said:
I got this on PC since it was cheap and it runs like a complete turd. Anyone got any tips on how to make the PC version more playable? Namely, remove the stuttering from driving?

Apparently there is no fix for that and there may never be. It's a shame too cause I'd really like to play this game but driving stutters make it unplayable. It runs good otherwise once you turn off the fancy lighting.
If someone found a way to eliminate driving stutter problem though, I'd love to hear it.

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
Gerrard said:
Coop is mad fun.
Also, Volition basically said "Fuck off" to people who bought the PC version, so yeah.

Yeah, played it well over 80 hours in co-op, I don't bother with single player though. They've shown how to do a co-op sandbox game, my only complaint is that if the other player gets a star, then you do to, even if you're at the other side of the city.

It's a nice touch when you start killing each other that the game gives you the choice to do a deathmatch minigame.

Even if the game has crap shooting, regen health and really stupid driving mechanics, I played it a way more than GTA4.

Hory

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
Haha. I was playing this at a friend's place. I was playing an early mission called Septic Avenger. It has like 6 stages, and in all of them you man the turret of a septic truck and you spray everyone and everything with shit. Probably the best mission in a game I've ever played. An AI drives the truck and you can tell him to stop if you need more time to hose down some buildings for points.
Sounds like shit.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Multidirectional said:
Multi-headed Cow said:

Apparently there is no fix for that and there may never be. It's a shame too cause I'd really like to play this game but driving stutters make it unplayable. It runs good otherwise once you turn off the fancy lighting.
If someone found a way to eliminate driving stutter problem though, I'd love to hear it.
You just have shitty rigs :P I'm playin' it @1280x1024 with everything ('cept AA) turned on and it runs very smooth. There are some half-second pauses when driving, but they're very rare. The graphics are rather simple (character models), but all those special effects like lighting, fire, hot air etc. are quite high-end.

P. fun game - I'll be legalizing it soon.

Yeah, doesn't matter that GTA 4 manages to run and look much better than Saints Row 2 on my rig. It's my shitty PC at fault, obviously..

Beat it twice on the consoles, definitely beat out GTAIV in my opinion. Way more fun, and the story (if you paid attention to it) had plenty of nods to the original. One of my favorite parts deals with riding shotgun in a helicopter with one of your old drug dealer friends from the first game, blowing up farms. Bantering back and forth about what to get his wife for their anniversary. Incidentally, she was the other drug dealer from the original...a soccer mom who did it out of boredom, and ended up apparently becoming addicted to the lifestyle.

Silellak

Cipher
Multidirectional said:
Multi-headed Cow said:

Man, PCs are so much better than consoles. Fucking consoletards.

/derail

Silellak said:

/derail

I fail to see your point. Lazy ass developers that can't be bothered with making a decent PC port have nothing to do with superiority or inferiority of consoles over PC. Also, I never used a term "consoletard" in my life, at least I think not..

Silellak

Cipher
Multidirectional said:
Silellak said:

/derail

I fail to see your point. Lazy ass developers that can't be bothered with making a decent PC port have nothing to do with superiority or inferiority of consoles over PC. Also, I never used a term "consoletard" in my life, at least I think not..

Oh, it wasn't directed specifically at you, just at the general mentality some at the Codex have that anyone who would own a console for any reason is retarded, and that playing games on the PC is the only real way to do it.

And lazy developers who write shitty ports for the PC definitely contribute to the downfall of PC gaming. I used to be a PC-only gamer, until I decided I like to have a near-guarantee that any game I bought would actually be playable on the platform I bought it for. For PC games, that seems to be less and less of a certainty.

Frustratingly, as consoles evolve to take on more PC-like qualities, it's also becoming less and less of a certainty on consoles. For instance, the PS3 recently released a firmware update that caused games that previously ran fine (most notably Uncharted) to randomly lock up the entire system. Evolution indeed.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Multidirectional said:
Yeah, doesn't matter that GTA 4 manages to run and look much better than Saints Row 2 on my rig. It's my shitty PC at fault, obviously..
EDIT: the first version of my post had "but seriously" in it, but I chose ":P" in the end.

Cool, so GTA4 should run flawlessly! (just finished torrenting)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For me SR2 actually ran a lot better than GTA4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom