Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Silent Storm Virgin

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Started to play. Its X-Com lite.
Desperately need something to fix the awful long enemy turns!
Maybe another mod suggestions?
I have the english 1.2 version.
Pls Thx.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Just wait until you will get to the mission with 50 civilians and 1 enemy which hides far enough for you to wish to throw the game out of your window. And you must not even harm a single civilian. I wonder how those mods will stand against that.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Don't know why so many people here rave about it. I thought it was nothing special. It's got turn based combat, yeah but badly designed and just boring. Go replay JA2/X-Com instead.

Crichton

Prophet
I don't remember an "ignore enemy moves" option, but I wouldn't have enabled it anyway since sometimes you might miss an enemy moving through your line of vision. I found that I could read a novel and keep enough of an eye on the screen to stay current so I just read during the really interminable stuff. (I got used to it while playing Thief and waiting for guards to calm down)

Silent Storm has two things that make it a lot more fun than JA2 (for me)

1) Destructible terrain

2) Classes

The 2nd point is probably the more important because it really adds to any tactical game when there's a reason to have more than one type of unit.

The two things that Silent Storm does really badly are

1) stealth (at high levels, scouts are invisible)

2) allows targeting of enemies that the shooter cannot see but another character can with pretty much identical efficiency to targeting enemies that he can see. This is really sad because the game does have a mechanism for targeting enemies that can only be heard, but it doesn't use if anyone at all can see the target.

To counteract these two, I recommend not using scouts or snipers. There's plenty of fun to be had with SMGs, MGs, non-sniper riflemen, grenades, mines and the like.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
No skip enemy option - it would be godlike...

Got bored with SS after 20 hours. Mainly because of the slow turn speed. Strangly enough, I managed to beat the game because I followed the most logical/"pressing issue" path of progression when confronted with different mission choises. So I was pretty fast at the enemy base without having done some tutorial missions with those extra infos like how to use mines and shit. It would be a fucking great game if only you could turn up the speed... I just cant imagine why the devs would give you the speed option... and why the mod only give you a *2...

BAD
--sometimes the line of sight is strange, not working
--turn speed - almost game killer! you need something to do while in enemy turn like eating hot food or reading
--enemy starts the turn if you see him first. wtf
--engine horribly slow
--a.i sucks. enemies freeze, dont search for you and so on. even xcom was better -.-

GOOD
--xcom style turnbased squad tactics
--fucking awesome destructable enviro!!! gigantic plus! just try the heavy grenades ^^
--chara face creation while crappy still gives a "this is you" feeling or "your character"
--lot of choices to make... ala what weapons to use =P
--classes with specific abilities
--rare random encounters
-- rpg elements for the soldiers
--soldiers with character and background
--lets you play in realtime

Nao on to SS Sentinels!

I found it quite enjoyable when I played it. Couldn't play it again though.

The combat model is what killed it for me. Often you can shoot an enemy in the head standing right next to them and they are still ok. I only really noticed this once I had played Hammer and Sickle. Say what you want about it, the combat model is a LOT better than the SS games and much more realistic. It might be harder, sure, but it is a lot better.

Lightknight

Liturgist
GOOD
--xcom style turnbased squad tactics
--fucking awesome destructable enviro!!! gigantic plus! just try the heavy grenades ^^
Its also the ONLY commercial squad-tactical game after X-Com:Apoc with multiple floor architecture.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Multiple floors are great.
I have a nice memory of this feature. I am in the Swiss factory and dont have any Panzerkleins. Just dicking around, luring the enemy out in small groups since the A.I. is retarded and there is no timelimit. BAM! 3 PK's walk out of the building and I got shit against them. Luckely the dead soldiers had heavy grenades. So, scout sneeks into the building. Shoots the PK's and hides. They come after me. Me, in a corner across a room on the third floor. They come in. Boom. Whole fucking building goes down. Huge hole in the structure. Roof gone. As if a bunker buster just went of.

Screens:
http://stashbox.org/317948/ScrnShot1.jpg
http://stashbox.org/317952/ScrnShot2.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom