Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim "mage's guild" quest is shitty ass

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Stabwound said:
I also thought that the mage college quest line was rather disappointing. Maybe it's just me, but I felt that the ending was rather abrupt, and it almost felt like it was lopped off there artificially.

How naive...

DLC bro. DLC...

attackfighter

Magister
Admiral jimbob said:
The guild questlines have easily been the worst part of the game so far. Mages were particularly bad, the whole thing just made no fucking sense and was bland as hell. Labyrinthian was... was the name a joke? It was a linear corridor, and was shorter than most of the dungeons I've been through so far. The lich at the end was easier than any other lich I've fought thus far, though given that I'm playing a battlemage, I tend to take the "use force push then rush them with dual swords" approach to fighting tough wizards. Did I miss a section or something? Was it meant to have a maze?

There's a secret optional "maze" nearby the official labrynthian dungeon. It's linear too though, so you didn't miss anything...

Admiral jimbob said:
The guild questlines have easily been the worst part of the game so far. Mages were particularly bad, the whole thing just made no fucking sense and was bland as hell. Labyrinthian was... was the name a joke? It was a linear corridor, and was shorter than most of the dungeons I've been through so far. The lich at the end was easier than any other lich I've fought thus far, though given that I'm playing a battlemage, I tend to take the "use force push then rush them with dual swords" approach to fighting tough wizards. Did I miss a section or something? Was it meant to have a maze?

Shaldior's Maze (or whatever the hell his name is spelled) is in another part of that place.

The "maze" makes use of some interesting puzzles, but in the end it's a very small "maze" which is linear as fuck. The only thing which can possibly qualify it as a psudo-maze is the fact that you have to solve a spell-related puzzle to get out, in where a specific spell has to be used at a specific time...

... but sadly Bethesduh ruins that by providing you with four staffs as you enter the place with the exact spells you need on them. I guess they didn't want to confuse the console kiddies.

attackfighter

Magister
Stereotypical Villain said:
Admiral jimbob said:

Shaldior's Maze (or whatever the hell his name is spelled) is in another part of that place.

The "maze" makes use of some interesting puzzles, but in the end it's a very small "maze" which is linear as fuck. The only thing which can possibly qualify it as a psudo-maze is the fact that you have to solve a spell-related puzzle to get out, in where a specific spell has to be used at a specific time...

... but sadly Bethesduh ruins that by providing you with four staffs as you enter the place with the exact spells you need on them. I guess they didn't want to confuse the console kiddies.

Ya, Shalidors maze is like 1 minute long and entirely linear. And by entirely I mean COMPLETELY linear with only a single, narrow hallway. You can't even move left or right it's so narrow. The puzzles, like Villain said, are simply "use destruction spells on the stone of destruction to open door!" type deals, with one stone for each type of magic. The reward item is shitty as well, and in fact the reward doesn't even tell you it's exact effects, you have to google that.

baronjohn

Cipher
I've been doing the main quest for the thieves guild and it is even more retarded than the mage quests. And the armor... dear god...

The Wizard

Educated
Black Cat said:
Pure Mages are perfectly viable
but a pain in the ass. in dungeons things are constantly in your face because they have corridos that are barely bigger than a squirrels asshole, in the big outdoors spell projectiles vanish at a stupidly short distance. so no casting frenzy and watching the show, you need to run up to them and risk "drawing aggro". the first few summon spells are a joke(except for the necromancy ones). the familiar is barely able to kill a wolf, and my flame atronarch misses constantly. the "melee" frost atronarch at frist glance looks pretty good, but then you realize that the fucking thing is too big and doesn't fit into most squirrel assholes. at later levels those annoyances maybe vanish because you get invisiblity and summon dremora, but i'm not putting up with that shit.

necromancy can be p. bitching, though the animation for that is a little too long.

Stabwound

Arcane
Yeah, pure mage isn't that fun. I made a post about it elsewhere here, but I feel like it gets very mind numbing quickly, mainly because you rarely upgrade equipment and damage spells don't do much.

I decided to branch my mage out into spells + melee and it's a bit more fun, if only because it gives you an excuse to collect equipment other than "+ magicka regen" or the game-breaking " minus spell cost" shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom