Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking So, I just played Metal Gear Boredom

1eyedking

Erudite
(or Metaru Gia Boriddom for wapaneses)

It's one of those "best game ever" (BGE for short) you read about everywhere.

It was also the most snortastic experience I've ever had.

When not listening to the 40-minute half-assed cutscenes, I was either playing Pacman, getting at least 100 radio calls about pulp philosophy, experiencing over 9000 plot-"twists", or struggliing to find some glimpse of intelligence in those damned cutscenes' writing.

Seriously.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I played the demo MGS 1 a very long time ago. It was ugly, clunky and boring.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
blah blah blah methods of insertion blah blah swim to surface. blah blah white guy take elevator blahblahblah omg it's liquid blah blah metal gear metal gear blah blah. Can i play now?
ok take a few step. BWEEP BWEEP. SNAKE WALK CAREFULLY DUDE!

*power off*

It's funny how you guys hate a popular game simply for the sake of hating a popular game.
MGS is the only action/sneaking game I can stand. Seriously, you can disguise your self as a fucking statue, what more do you need?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I hate MGS because it's boring and has huge-ass cutscenes. We all here like Doom and it's super-popular, I don't get your comment.

I'd so much rather play Thief. But not Splinter Cell. SC was a huge disappointment; how people can stand that game is beyond me.

Herbert West

Arbiter
40 minutes cutscenes? I find it ridiculous that Konami doesn't know that games aren't movies.

WalterKinde

Scholar
I heard about the cutscenes they are taking advantage of the blu-ray tech. :D
Ever since the PS1 version the 40 min cutscenes are what drives the game series in fact just edit those cutscenes from any past games and they don't need to make a live action Metal Gear movie half the work is already done for a straight to dvd/blu-ray version movie.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I guess the 40 minutes cutscenes make it an RPG, that's why it's in general RPG discussion.

Also I guess 1eyed is talking about the ps1 game. It was very good sneaking game. It had some tedious moments , but it also had some great ideas.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The first one had it, I heard the very last one has a one hour cutscene but to be honest I did not investigate much, I only played the first two of the Solid serie and while I enjoyed the first for the novelty, I disliked the second one.

Then I discovered Metal Gear 2 on MSX emulator and knew what I had been missing all this time.

Kendar

Novice
Each of the first three games does have severall cutscenes that can last more than one hour, not to mention that sometimes, 2 or 3 of them are separated by a very short gameplay interval. And you also have to take into account the numerous radio conversations that can last the same length. I do not remember if they were skippable since I read, listened and watched every second of them (I am a scenario whore, when there are tons of text and plot I am happy). I did not play the fourth so I cannot comment, but I really liked the first three.

That said, the gameplay is objectively very clunky and easily boring, sabotaging its interesting depth. The game being popular does not change that. I enjoyed the games onlybecause I subjectively liked the scenario. While stupid beyond imagination and needlessly confusing, at least it is well presented and narrated. If you cannot stand a cinematic games about people babbleing about some nuke-equipped bipedal tank and world domination conspiracies revolving around genetic soldiers, save your money.

Vagiel

Augur
I agree that the actual game may be boring to some (me included) but let's not bash it for having dialog and reading! I mean thats what most people here want i think more story and reading right?

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Shota Shernokavich said:
It's funny how you guys hate a popular game simply for the sake of hating a popular game.
MGS is the only action/sneaking game I can stand. Seriously, you can disguise your self as a fucking statue, what more do you need?

You can only do that once and it's the only creative use of OctoCamo in the entire game, though D:

Anyway, nothing beats blasting dudes with a massive M82 sniper rifle using the Resident Evil 4 style over-the-shoulder camera.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
fastpunk said:
Wait. This game actually has 40 minute cutscenes? :|
90 minute mega cutscene at one point from what I have heard.

That's Japanese games for you, and that's why I hate them. It's their terrible camera angles, and their attempts to be movies more than games.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Wyrmlord said:
fastpunk said:

That's Japanese games for you, and that's why I hate them. It's their terrible camera angles, and their attempts to be movies more than games.

Yes, all Japanese games are exactly like that. :roll:

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Wyrmlord said:
That's Hideo Kojima games for you, and that's why I hate them. It's their terrible camera angles, and their attempts to be movies more than games.
Fixed.

You know, the guy did want to become a film director originally.

RainSong

Scholar
So, I just played Boredom: Torment

It's one of those "best game ever" (BGE for short) you read about everywhere...

And you know what? You have to read in this game, sometimes even for few minutes non stop !!!!!1111!!11oneoneone. Who reads this days? And could you believe there were no elves or dwarves? What's wrong with this dumb setting anyway?

It was the most snortastic experience I've ever had.

Seriously.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Wyrmlord said:
fastpunk said:

Herbert West said:
40 minutes cutscenes? I find it ridiculous that Konami doesn't know that games aren't movies.
You people have problems. No, seriously.

Nightjed

Liturgist
90 freaking minutes ? i heard you can pause them but for that long they should let you rewind, fast forward and save during it, jeez, if a game ever forces you to put down the gamepad during play something is seriously wrong

obediah

Erudite
Metal Gear was pure pwnage - one of the greats of console mythology.

I didn't play any after that, so I'll shut up now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom