Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Some late Hammer & Sickle reviews

Jinxed

Liturgist
Tags: CDV Software Entertainment AG; Hammer & Sickle

First off: <a href="http://www.worthplaying.com">Worthplaying</a><blockquote> One example is a situation I found myself in early on. I had just finished a mission and was returning back to the safe house when the local crime lord stopped me. We had a brief chat and I was given the option to pay him money to leave me alone or fight. Since I was greatly outnumbered, I was forced to give the money. In another game, as another character class, I had yet another option, which was definitely the most beneficial of the three. Unfortunately, as the original character class I had chosen, I didn’t have that option, which worked against me strongly. This is the type of thing you’ll find happening often in the game. It’s almost as if you don’t follow the set guidelines that the development team thought you should follow, the game works against you, making things far more difficult.</blockquote> It's called roleplaying. Yeah, when developers make stat dependant multiple paths some idiot complains that he cannot do a talkie path with a moron character. Final score <b>7.5/10</b>
<br>
Read the review <a href="http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=30784">here</a><br><br><a href="http://www.houstonvehicles.com">Houston Vehicles Online</a><blockquote>Something very interesting about this game which I do not believe I have seen done before are Artificial Intelligent allies that will help you and your squad in the game. This , I thought would be a very cool addition to the genre and I thought quite ingenious, unfortunately the AI had a tendency to take bizarre paths to get to their goal, and occasionally would cap out their own guys so I learned to not rely upon them too heavily. Considering most of the time in game you are outnumbered I found it best to just let the lame A.I. allies do what they will and play clean up instead.</blockquote> It's pretty obvious that this guy doesn't play a lot of games. Final score <b>3.5</b><br>Read the review <a href="http://www.houstonvehicles.com/content/view/395/38/">here</a><br><br><a href="http://pc.gamerfeed.com">GamerFeed</a><Blockquote>
<br>
There are many, many places this game succeeds. The visuals, the tone, the concept... these are all so great they could be the cornerstones for game-of-the-year material. Sadly, the rest of the game has so many problems that these amazing features end up being just enough to hold the game together. Turn-based, hard-core strategy nuts could find a great deal to love here, if they are patient enough to dig for it. </blockquote>While there are other parts of the review to quote, I pretty much agree with the closing statement. While the story is quite interesting it takes a lot of effort to dig it out. There are many multiple paths and to actually play the game in 100% it will take a very, very long time. Given how tedious the difficulty can be, I doubt it's something everyone will do.<br> Read the review <a href="http://pc.gamerfeed.com/gf/reviews/1013/">here</a><br>There is one more review on eToychest, but the site's down at the moment so I'll pass.

bryce777

Erudite
"Unfortunately, as the original character class I had chosen, I didn’t have that option, which worked against me strongly. This is the type of thing you’ll find happening often in the game. It’s almost as if you don’t follow the set guidelines that the development team thought you should follow, the game works against you, making things far more difficult."

God damn. Where do these gow these fucking morons. It is funny, yet if people are buying shit based off of these clowns we're all doomed.

I had hoped they had speeded up the cicilian and allied AI, but I guess not :(

Balor

Arcane
Well, you DO have a animation speed slider. You can speed their movement by like 2x time.
And 'invisible' enemy movements are calculated instantly anyway.
And better play Brigade E5, if you want detailed tactics, but don't want to wait for next turn, he-he-he.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Hopefully they'll actually support this game with patches. Of course that's not something Nival is very good about.

Balor

Arcane
I guess it's mostly have to do with the game already 'beta-tested' on Russians, so it already comes as patched as it gets to international audience.
Bugs from translation is an other thing, though.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Balor said:
I guess it's mostly have to do with the game already 'beta-tested' on Russians, so it already comes as patched as it gets to international audience.

I'd never thought of it like that before. Talk about some cheap QA! I wonder the reaction if a US or Euro based company released a game first in smaller market for that purpose. It seems to be the case with "The Fall" as that game has been heavily patched before it's US release already.

bryce777

Erudite
Balor said:
Well, you DO have a animation speed slider. You can speed their movement by like 2x time.
And 'invisible' enemy movements are calculated instantly anyway.
And better play Brigade E5, if you want detailed tactics, but don't want to wait for next turn, he-he-he.

The invisible ones aren't done instantly; you can tell because it takes the exact same time whether they are visible or not.

JA was the same way. But there the civillians just lay on the ground for the most part and you would never have all enemies dead and yet remain in combat like in silent storm as sometimes happens, and is very annoying. Also, setting a trap makes you go into combat, which is also annoying.

What gets me is that when you throw a throwing knife, for example, the cursor goes inactive even after it hits or misses...and you have to wait for the whole animation to finish, which can be very long if it slides down a hill or something.

It would also be nice if it were like in xcom in the sense if you move a character and they are offscreen, the movement is instant. Especially since some of the squatting and such have extremely slow animations.

It is good to know I can speed them up, though, so thanks.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Late reviews? Haha. None later than mine as I just bought this game. I shall see if it's another overhyped Codex Specicial like that stupid horsie game likely is or is genuinely a good game like it seems.

We shall see...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
It takes more than good mounted combat to enjoy a RPG. I learned that from Sacred. I ain't making the same mistake again so now I have no intention of playing it sicne not one person I have seen mentions *anything* but the mounted combat.

At least with H&S people actually discuss the role-playing part of the role-playing game.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I've been holding back on M&B till the game is complete with story and what not, but you could give the demo a try Volourn if you're a bit cautious about buying. It does sound more like a great FP Action game with RPG elements than pure RPG though.

Jora

Arcane
I recommend trying the demo even if it doesn't sound like something that would hold your interest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom