Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stalker - The Good, The Bad, & The Ukranian

Fez

Erudite
If you are loaded with pistols, maybe you could sell them and buy some vodka and anti radiation meds then?

Sarvis

Erudite
You're kind of missing the point, which is that I got irradiated withing the first 15 minutes of playing and had no way to combat it. This lead to starting completely over, which is slightly annoying.

I'm just saying that at the start of the game, you should give the players a chance to ge their bearings before stomping them into the ground.

Also, he doesn't offer much for those pistols.

Now, back to actual bug behavior: I renamed my windows account to something without a space, and rebooted, but the game is still saving with my old account name. I can rename the save files, but it's kind of a hassle to do it every time. I can find where the save directory is set, but not where it's storing my account name... any ideas?

Hrm... I should check the registry...

Fez

Erudite
So you ran into an anomaly despite given visual and audio cues, then died and now you are complaining? Are you one of these people who try to sue because the microwave dinner didn't say "caution may be hot once cooked"?

Bradylama

Arcane
There aren't any high-rad areas in the immediate vicinity, and you aren't immediately pointed in the direction of one. The Geiger Counter probably would've been your first clue that you should stay the fuck away.

Sarvis

Erudite
Fez said:
So you ran into an anomaly despite given visual and audio cues, then died and now you are complaining? Are you one of these people who try to sue because the microwave dinner didn't say "caution may be hot once cooked"?

Actually, smartass, anomolies don't cause radiation poisoning. The quest reward for the first sidequest you are given, however, does. I've never had a quest reward kill me before, so sorry for not expecting that. :roll:

Would you like to try again?

Fez

Erudite
Wait a minute. You used an item that was clearly marked as giving you radiation and then died from it? RETARDED.

Sarvis

Erudite
Yes, + always means bad in video games. Never, ever means you're getting a bonus against something. :roll:

I guess thinking someone will give you a deadly item for helping them out seems natural to you guys... and Ukranians apparently... hrm.

The red may have been a clue, but in any case what the fucks your point? Other than trying to make yourselves feel superior, that is. Though one might wonder how superior you really are if you thought anomolies caused radiation sickness...

Now, do you guys have anything else to tell me that I've already figured out? Perhaps how to fix my quicksave files?

Fez

Erudite
If it was the confusion over the way the artefact was labelled, then why not complain about that instead of complaining about lack of anti-radiation meds? That's just stupid. You'd have died eventually as it would continuously irradiate you while you wore it anyway. You'd run out of meds no matter what. If you had noticed you were being irradiated you could have healed up if you'd stopped it first, instead you ploughed on until death.

You were a moron, you could at least admit to your mistake instead of whining.

There are also patches of radiation dotted around, I'd call it an anomaly like any other hazard in the game. It's all the same to me. At least I didn't blunder into it and cry about the game being broken.

Fez

Erudite
If only the market allowed for more anti radiation meds, he'd still be with us today. :salute:

Sarvis

Erudite
I never said the game was broken, I said starting players off with some essential equipment would have been nice.

Having some medicine would have given me time to figure out what was going on, rather than dying right away without being able to do anything about it, which includes removing the item if you do figure it out since the radiation stays with you.

Basically your reward for that quest is a forced reload, which could have been avoided by starting with a vodka or two.

While YOU may want to call radiation pockets anomalies, the game doesn't so you're outvoted. There are some key differences, not the least of which is the visual indication of anomalies and their ability to produce artifacts.

As for whining, I brought up a single fucking point and you had to drag it out into a 10 post argument. I'm not whining, I'm simply answering your idiotic "points." I'd have dropped it after the first post if not for your sorry ass trying to prove you're better than me because you bought more digital vodka than I did.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Sarvis said:
I brought up a single fucking point and you had to drag it out into a 10 post argument.

Longest argument on the forums of the Codex. You do us all a service, Sarvis. :salute:

Sarvis

Erudite
I know you're being sarcastic... but I can't figure out how there's any actual point to your post...

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
Sarvis you are indeed deserving of your title after this argument.

1) The PDA tells you that certain artifacts give you doses of radiation
2) The manual warns that you should be familiar with the negative and positive attributes of artifacts before equipping them
3) The PDA does tell of anomalies that collect abnormally high amounts of radiation, which is why some spots have both the geiger counter and anomaly warnings going off.
4) You should notice that % goes along with protection, not + or -. You can tell this simply by the armor protection.
5) You could have taken off the fucking artifact, sold it to the merchant and bought your ass some vodka.

Critical thinking FTW.

Atrokkus

Erudite
You're kind of missing the point, which is that I got irradiated withing the first 15 minutes of playing and had no way to combat it. This lead to starting completely over, which is slightly annoying.
You have a geiger counter ticking, ya know? Just listen to it and step back everytime it goes crazy. Same with anomalies (white noise -- by the way, that's a great touch because in real life you DO see white noise when walking through ultra-high radiation zones because some of the eye sensor cells die out quick).
You get shitloads of those anti-radiation shots from the bodies of bandits you kill. Just do some of the primary quest earlier on.

Now, about the artifacts.
They are FUCKING UBER items, man. They are not there just for trade. YOu really ought to wear a lot of em, but in right combinations.
In the "Agroprom" underground complex there is that "hedgehog" artifact -- it suppresses A LOT of radiation from other artifacts, at the cost of increased damage of bleeding (if you do get it). Then i got another artifact which name i forgotten - it grants +% to life. I had 200 life and no radiation whatsoever with the combination of two. Plus some bullet resistance % from three other minor artifacts.

So whenever you see golden shivering gleam in the dark, make sure you get it.

While YOU may want to call radiation pockets anomalies, the game doesn't so you're outvoted. There are some key differences, not the least of which is the visual indication of anomalies and their ability to produce artifacts.
It's ZOne for fuck's sake. High-radiation zones are supposed to be there, especially in the buildings and mechanisms. What's your problem with that? What's the difficulty mode you're playing? I'm playing in the maximum difficulty mode (master iirc) and i have no problems with radiation.

Sarvis

Erudite
My god you are all complete and utter fuckheads.

It's ONE <b>minor</b> complaint about the <b>absolute beginning</b> of the game! Do we need to get every criticism approved or something? Jesus fucking christ this is retarded, and your responses are just as retarded.

<b>Sylvanus</b>

1) That's great. I don't generally want to spend my first half hour or so of playing a game by reading loads of text on a menu screen.
2) Same as 1, but on paper.
3) They must be later in the game then, because all I've seen are the non-radioactive ones.
4) There's a + in front of every stat bonus. I'm sorry if I have trouble with the same symbol having two different meanings in the game.
5) That's exactly what I did, AFTER I died a couple times because of it. What the fuck is your point, and how does it affect what I was talking about? Oh yeah, it DOESN'T.

<b>atrokkus</b>

You have a geiger counter ticking, ya know?

Really? Geiger counter ticks on items inside your inventory? You SURE about that? You maybe want to check in game so you don't sound like a retard who's never played the damn game?

You get shitloads of those anti-radiation shots from the bodies of bandits you kill. Just do some of the primary quest earlier on.

Unfortunately the first primary quest is kind of tough (well, at least if you decline help) so I was doing some sidequests first. That said, the bandits I killed didn't leave me any anti-radiation stuff. Did get some shotguns though!

In the "Agroprom" underground complex there is that "hedgehog" artifact

I wasn't aware that Agroprom was within the first 15 minutes of the game.

It's ZOne for fuck's sake. High-radiation zones are supposed to be there, especially in the buildings and mechanisms. What's your problem with that? What's the difficulty mode you're playing? I'm playing in the maximum difficulty mode (master iirc) and i have no problems with radiation.

I have no problem with there being radiation. It makes complete sense. What I object too is giving the player absolutely NO options to deal with it at the beginning, and then giving him something which will irradiate him. It's basically an insta-kill trap.

Again, it is not a game breaker. It just would be a a nicer start to the game if they gave you a chance against your first radiation poisoning.

Jesus people, is it impossible to be critical of a game around here?

Monolith

Prophet
Sarvis said:
4) There's a + in front of every stat bonus. I'm sorry if I have trouble with the same symbol having two different meanings in the game.
I just hope you are colourblind. Nothing else can excuse such stupidity.

Sarvis

Erudite
Spectacle said:
Sarvis, here's a game that's been designed for people like you. Check it out.

You know, that's actually funny. I remember one of the big whinefests the Codex had was about Oblivion's quest compass showing you where to go for quests. Apparently that mad ethe game too easy or some crap.

No one seems to be mentioning the same exact feature in Stalker.

In any case, you guys are still fucking idiots.

<b>Monolith</b>

You're aware that people will interperet words/symbols before colors right? I barely noticed the color difference in my enthusiasm for trying out my shiney new <i>quest reward</i>, I saw a +Radiation: 5 and figured "great, +5 vs radiation!"

Not my fault I don't think like a Ukranian level designer.

Do you people really expect quest rewards to be deadly on a regular basis?

Micmu

Magister
You know, that's actually funny. I remember one of the big whinefests the Codex had was about Oblivion's quest compass showing you where to go for quests. Apparently that mad ethe game too easy or some crap.

No one seems to be mentioning the same exact feature in Stalker.
Yes, because STALKER is being hyped as the best hardcore CRPG ever made and not as an FPS.

Sarvis

Erudite
Yeah, too bad the general Codex definition of CRPG would include this game...

But hey, let's argue some more about whether or not a character should get a single specific item to start with or not. That's more fun!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom