Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stalker - The Good, The Bad, & The Ukranian

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
...it... would?
Dear Sarvis-
You know you're a dumbfuck when even the furries call you dumb, man.

Sarvis

Erudite
It's open ended, you have different choices for solving quests and you can affect the plot (or at least get multiple endings.) It's more of a CodexRPG than pretty much any actual RPG you guys have discussed recently.

Balor

Arcane
Hah! Alpha of Transport Mod (self-explanatory) is out:
http://stalker-portal.ru/page.php?al=alias9672
(just click the link with 'transport mod' on it)

You need a patched game to run it.
Cars have physics, you can drive them, shoot out from them, but explode even after being spitted at - hence 'alpha'.
To start engine, you need to bind a key for it:
bind turn_engine KB
(binds B key to 'start engine'.

There is a 'dream mod' out there already, that uses already present 'nightmare sequences' from the game (fun stuff!) - but it's activated from dialogue (again, alpha) and will not work on english version of the game, I'm sure.

And latest Realism mod seem to do all the things that annoyed me in the game... looks like it's time to finallly pick it up and play.

Inziladun

Magister
Here's an english page of the same mod, for those that don't speak Vodkanese.

http://stalker.filefront.com/files/Stal ... hicle;3791

Just scroll down a bit until you see transport mod and the transport mod patch.

And while i'm at it, that site also has a ton of other mods for the game. I'm genuinely suprised at how much stuff there is so soon after release. I would of thought this game would be a bit of a ghost town in the modding community.

Atrokkus

Erudite
The transport mod is pretty lame. They basically exposed the transport system that was supposed to be included in the release but got laid off because of the problems with the non-seamless world. So the mod only grants you access to transport only in the first area of the game, and that's not much. Now, if the modders actually succeed in getting around the non-seamlessness issues, then i guess this mod would complement the game by a long shot. Because, why bother with transport if you can just as well walk between two entry points.

Really? Geiger counter ticks on items inside your inventory? You SURE about that? You maybe want to check in game so you don't sound like a retard who's never played the damn game?
You've got the point here, sure. But at the same time, WHY woulnd't you just read the manual and PDA help on the artifacts? Why does it always have to be the in-your-face warning. Isn't it more challenging and fun to discover something by yourself, or wonder at things like artifacts?

Sarvis

Erudite
Atrokkus said:
You've got the point here, sure. But at the same time, WHY woulnd't you just read the manual and PDA help on the artifacts? Why does it always have to be the in-your-face warning. <b>Isn't it more challenging and fun to discover something by yourself, or wonder at things like artifacts?</b>

Reread the bolded part, then get back to me on how reading a boring manual/PDA entry gets you that fun.

I also didn't ask for any warning, I asked for an available solution so that you could discover what was going on without dying. Honestly, I'd have been just as happy if low levels of radiation wore off before killing you like bleeding does.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Nah, I'lll just quote YOU and laugh at your dumbfuckery:
Sarvis said:
1) That's great. I don't generally want to spend my first half hour or so of playing a game by reading loads of text on a menu screen.

oh by the way, that "hedgehog" artifact (spiky) makes your bleedings much mroe severe (without causing them itself) -- but then again, the radiation blockade it's providing is completely worth the trouble.

Sarvis

Erudite
*blank stare*

So you suggest that playing for the fun of discovery is a good thing, then say I'm a dumbfuck because I didn't read the manual/PDA encyclopedia so that I could have that fun of discovery?

Yeah. Ok then.

Atrokkus

Erudite
So you suggest that playing for the fun of discovery is a good thing, then say I'm a dumbfuck because I didn't read the manual/PDA encyclopedia so that I could have that fun of discovery?
Reading PDA or manual I consider part of that fun, as well. I, for one, never read the manual (didn't need to), but I always read the PDA entries when they appear. like, upon my first encounter with those stealthy mutants, almost the first thing i did was load up my PDA and look up their description.

Sirbolt

Liturgist
Yeah, i usually play with my eyes closed and my ears properly plugged, just for the sake of discovery. (The manual i have my manservants burn before it gets within a kilometer of my house) Every five minutes i, for but one second, open my right eye (left, if i'm feeling particularly adventurous) and that second of pure blissful discovery is worth more to me than an hour of playing with my senses intact. However, sometimes i also get great pleasure from roleplaying a simpering idiot who is, in turn, playing a game. Then i do stuff like run into walls for half an hour while gingerly equipping everything in my inventory without considering the consequence. Great fun!

Sarvis

Erudite
You know guys, it's really very cute. You see the dumbfuck tag and gang up, arguing against WHATEVER the dumbfuck tag says no matter what. Especially without considering if the point is valid or not!

Here, have fun with this one: The sky is blue.

That should be a much more interesting discussion than whether or not a plkayer should start with a bottle of vodka or not.

Hey I know! Maybe in STALKER 2 they can avoid giving you any weapons at the start, then send you into a combat mission right away!

Sarvis

Erudite
<b>sportforredneck</b>

No, it's just dark blue.

<b>Jasede</b>

Nope, sky is always blue. The horizon can get red, but the sky is blue.

taxacaria

Scholar
Sarvis said:
<b>sportforredneck</b>

No, it's just dark blue.

<b>Jasede</b>

Nope, sky is always blue. The horizon can get red, but the sky is blue.
You're wrong. The sky has no color.
The blue color that you see is just the result of sun light refraction.
Blue light has shorter waves than red, that's the reason for your 'blue' sky -
it's just the blue spectrum of sunlight.

Sarvis

Erudite
sportforredneck said:
Sarvis said:
No, it's just dark blue.
Then how come at night it's so easy to run over black cats?

Because there's not much contrast between dark blue and blank. Would you design a web page with black text on dark blue backgrounds?

I hope not...

Sirbolt

Liturgist
No, because black text on black background would do so much more for that elusive feeling of discovery, eh Sarvis?

Sarvis

Erudite
So, did the Bandits find a Zerg somewhere and set up a forced breeding program or something? It's not so much just respawning enemies, it's that they _constantly_ respawn, and attack again right on the heels of the last fight.

So ere's my trip through the Garbage:

"Hrm... three guys surrounding another guy. Oh shit they're bandits!"
*reaches Garbage*
"Oh, you guys want me to help ambush some bandits? OK!"
*kills bandits*
"Let's loot some corpses. Loot, loot loot... huh? Why are bullets flying past my head? Oh shit, more bandits!"
"Ok, that's over now let's head towards agroprom."
"Gee, what a surprise they are under bandit attack at that train depot."
*kills bandits*
"Ok, let's head out... shit, MORE bandits! Ok, I can't get through so let's explore."
"Damn Duty soldiers not lettin a guy through... wait, train depot under attack again? "
*kills MORE bandits"
"Ok, should be safe to head towards agroprom now... no wait, there's STILL bandits outside, thought they were the ones attacking. "
*Discovers overlook in depot, kills bandits with ease."
"Ah, more corpse loo... is that more bandits over thtere? Fuckin' A!"

So yeah, I feel like I've killed half the population of Russia now... but they still keep coming. :(

Balor

Arcane
Congrats, you've just reached the Garbage! Welcome to the 'WTF?!' club, heh.
I suggest looking for a Realism mod (0.9+ version)- the overabundant respawn issues were fixed there.

Ladonna

Arcane
The bandits behind the railshed are part of a bandit camp. The bandits that attack the railshed are an 'attack force' not attached to the bandit camp.

I agree that the spawning rate can be a little annoying, though I think people have had a beat up on this issue. Its not THAT bad.

Starwars

Arcane
The whole respawn bit seems to be a bit hit and miss. Most of the time it stays in check, but occasionally it will go completely haywire.

Yesterday I was gonna go back to Cordon to finish some missions so I was fighting my way through the garbage. If you enter the Garbage from Cordon, there's a small bandit camp to the right of you a bit ahead. I was coming from the bar, and I saw that there were bandits at the camp so I figured I'd clear them out.
Cleared them out, was looting the bodies... 1 bandit spawn right beside me. Shoot him in the face, continue looting. 2 new bandits spawn and I saw screw this and just run away.

So I've almost reached Cordon, but there are a few bandits running around near the 'level change'. Take them out, loot bodies, and again bandits continue spawning. Finally they seem to stop, but now a small army of bandit immigrants come in from the Cordon area (despite that the checkpoint in Cordon is controlled by STALKERs).
These fuckers stay near the gate behind the point where you change levels, so you can't even get there to loot the bodies because the game prompts you to 'continue on to the next level'.

Most of the time it doesn't annoy me to much, but yeah, sometimes (like the example above) it can feel so frustrating to play the game. Supposedly the respawns will be fixed if they ever release the second patch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom