Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

not a great comparison, even my farts are better dialogues than outer worlds'.

Codex Year of the Donut
there's quite a few race checks in various dialogues
story boss my jedi had to fight was an assassin, he had a line something along the lines of "even a jedi cannot fight what he cannot see"
my character replied with "my eyes ARE the force, you can't hide from me"
my character is a Miraluka(think Visas from kotor 2)
nice touch
:M

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Talked Darth Janus onto surrender, that was unexpected not i do know why his daughter is such f.... up blad' not that me or my agent care she is mix of incompetence and arrogance + brat attitude Empire (and even other Sith) won't stand for. Time to do my pale alien cumdump quest, do bonus missions on Balmora and then go be double agents inside the ISIS.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm sure it probably equals out at higher levels, but my Jedi Sentinel(concentration) does way more damage than any other class I've played so far

Codex Year of the Donut
Uh8dwMj.png
:love:

Codex Year of the Donut
There's a mission in Belsavis that has you sealing away a monster where you can optionally let it loose(doesn't mention this is possible at all, BTW.)
Here's the thing: it's really strong and classified as a world boss which disables your companion.
You guys have any tips for soloing it? Last time I tried I had much worse gear on my commando but it mopped the floor with me. I don't think any DPS class can solo it so that rules quite a few out. Maybe one of the tanks could(the jedi/sith one I think)

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
There's a mission in Belsavis that has you sealing away a monster where you can optionally let it loose(doesn't mention this is possible at all, BTW.)
Here's the thing: it's really strong and classified as a world boss which disables your companion.
You guys have any tips for soloing it? Last time I tried I had much worse gear on my commando but it mopped the floor with me. I don't think any DPS class can solo it so that rules quite a few out. Maybe one of the tanks could(the jedi/sith one I think)

Sorry, no idea which boss is that.

:shredder:

What's this one for?

Codex Year of the Donut
Corellia is the worst designed area in the base game IMO.
I don't dislike the setting, it's a good one, the problem is that it doesn't feel like a city. It's designed like a maze, you're required to follow very specific paths with no way to cut between areas/no alleys. It's annoying going from point A to B.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Out of all the stories, is the JK the most powerful(canonically) at the end of their story?

Difficult to say, to tell the truth. He defeats the Emperor's Voice, but Emperor Vitiate is at that point severely weakened by machinations of Darth Baras. TBH my money would still be on the Inquisitor. Unless you release the spirits serving you. But why would you do that? Horak-Mul does not relish the coldness of Hoth.

Codex Year of the Donut
Out of all the stories, is the JK the most powerful(canonically) at the end of their story?

Difficult to say, to tell the truth. He defeats the Emperor's Voice, but Emperor Vitiate is at that point severely weakened by machinations of Darth Baras. TBH my money would still be on the Inquisitor. Unless you release the spirits serving you. But why would you do that? Horak-Mul does not relish the coldness of Hoth.
After checking the SW wiki, I think I was right(if it's correct)
This Voice would ultimately fall in battle with the Emperor's enemy, the Jedi Knight known as the Hero of Tython, when the Jedi confronted the Sith ruler in the depths of the Dark Temple on Dromund Kaas. Despite all of the Emperor's power, the Knight was still able to strike him down and kill the Voice, grievously wounding the Emperor's essence with the power of the light side.[9] Forced from their host, the Emperor's energies were left without an anchor and fell into a deep slumber at the shock of the blow.[5] The injury also affected his control over his Valkorion body; Valkorion's power faltered, causing the mental blocks he had placed within the mind of his daughter Vaylin to lapse.[18] The Emperor's incorporeal essence took shelter in the dark side energies of the moon Yavin 4, and when the Sith Empire turned on their former ruler upon discovering his plans to destroy the galaxy,[19] the position of Voice was abandoned entirely—now known as Vitiate, the former Emperor did not take a new host and instead ravaged the planet Ziost[11] before consolidating himself entirely in the Valkorion host body. Valkorion was slain shortly afterward, and Vitiate was forced to bond himself to the figure known as the Outlander, though he sought to ally with the Outlander and did not make his new host into a true Voice.[10
JK does so much damage to the emperor that he forced him to consume ziost to recover

Codex Year of the Donut
How long do you guys think this game has before the publisher will pull the plug?

Re-playing KOTOR 1 and 2 plus reading in this thread has kinda made me want to try it out as well. However, it's probably going to take a long time before I'll actually find some time to play it (because of my huge backlog). I would prioritize playing it sooner, of course, if there are any signs it's going to get shut down in a year or two.
A long time.
I'm unsure exactly how EA's star wars contract interacts with SWTOR because it predates(2011 vs 2013) their Disney star wars game contract(which lasts until 2023.) However, Jedi Fallen Order sold extremely well and cemented EA's rights to the IP for SW games for a long time as a sequel for it is already in development.
The fact that Anthem is basically dead means they pretty much have to double down on SWTOR lol, it's their only game right now that's making any money whatsoever with DA4 far off in the distance.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
The fact that Anthem is basically dead means they pretty much have to double down on SWTOR lol, it's their only game right now that's making any money whatsoever with DA4 far off in the distance.

Do we have any concrete numbers regarding the profit it's making? How many subscribed users does it have? Is it barely breaking even or is it raking in gazillions of dollars per month/year (after taxes)?
https://massivelyop.com/2019/11/01/...llion-dollars-and-ea-is-pleased-most-pleased/
“Believe it or not, we are close to $1 billion on Star Wars: The Old Republic revenue from the start of its history,” EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said on the call. “So it’s a business that just keeps on going. We like those types of businesses.”
It's a low cost investment that prints money. It's basically EA's wet dream.

Codex Year of the Donut

Do we have any concrete numbers regarding the profit it's making? How many subscribed users does it have? Is it barely breaking even or is it raking in gazillions of dollars per month/year (after taxes)?
https://massivelyop.com/2019/11/01/...llion-dollars-and-ea-is-pleased-most-pleased/
“Believe it or not, we are close to $1 billion on Star Wars: The Old Republic revenue from the start of its history,” EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said on the call. “So it’s a business that just keeps on going. We like those types of businesses.”
It's a low cost investment that prints money. It's basically EA's wet dream.

Huh, I wasn't aware it was that successful. Or even successful at all, tbh.

I remember reading about the game before and during its release, wondering if I should get it too. But after only a few weeks, there were reports of (hardcore) players complaining, because they had already completed the game - much sooner than the devs or anyone else were expecting. And running out of content is usually code word for "It's dead." for MMORPGs.

I stopped reading articles about the game from that point on, because I really thought it would die. If it wasn't for this thread, I would have never known it was still alive.
Same.
They did a really poor job marketing it. It was marketed as WoW in space, if they marketed it as online KOTOR I probably would have checked it out sooner.

Codex Year of the Donut
So rusty_shackleford, how many hours have you been playing this game? Can you somehow estimate how many hours more you will have to play in order to finish it?
no idea total
iirc, took me about 200 hours to do a single class + expansions, solo content only
there's 8 classes each with their own unique story, expansions have varying stories based on imperial/republic + your alignment + other things

Codex Year of the Donut
So rusty_shackleford, how many hours have you been playing this game? Can you somehow estimate how many hours more you will have to play in order to finish it?
no idea total
iirc, took me about 200 hours to do a single class + expansions, solo content only
there's 8 classes each with their own unique story, expansions have varying stories based on imperial/republic + your alignment + other things

Holy shit, now I know why they are charging 120 bucks a year. :shredder:

They definitely made sure no one would ever complain about a lack of content again.
the base story(all 8 class stories + planet missions + side quests + bunch of other stuff) + first 2 content expansions are available to F2P players

Codex Year of the Donut
the base story(all 8 class stories + planet missions + side quests + bunch of other stuff) + first 2 content expansions are available to F2P players

Wut? Why would they do that? The publisher is EA, after all. What's the catch?
It gets you hooked, I guess.
Even subscribing during those is worth it because it removes a few annoying F2P caps + gives you access to an indoor out of combat movement speed booster

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom