Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suprises in Boxes

Ruprekt

Scholar
When games were real games and came in real (card) boxes, did you ever find anything unintended within?

Back in '98 I was gratified on opening xwing vs tiefighter to discover as a bonus the two cds of grim fandango.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
In "new", unopened boxes? No, nothing like that.

The only example I can think of was when I was 9 years old and bought a copy of the Mickey Mouse game on the Amstrad CPC (This one). Upon examining the disk, I saw that the sticker was covering another sticker, and underneath I could make out "Strangeloop Plus".

A quick examination of the disc revealed that the Strangeloop game was on Side 2 of the disc, meaning I got a free game with my purchase! And Strangeloop+ was by far the better game of the two.

EDIT: Typo. Also, had a look at the Mouse game on YouTube. By gods, it was shit.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I don't think they were ever unintended, but I did very much enjoy every bit of paper and plastic within. Fawn over the manual, check out the assorted game previews / advertisement and even that crap about AOL that came with 70% of games.

Satan

Educated
heh, opening boxes was something really exciting back in the day when I knew I'll find not only CDs, but also long manual/other kind of book, maps and a lot of additional stuff (I remember that when I was opening Baldur's Gate I was excited as hell, especially due to an awesome manual. The same was with ie. Diablo II, but BG was my first RPG, so it is far more memorable than anything else). Today it's like... 'oh, the box arrived *torns the DVD out of the box, then throws the box away and puts DVD in, forgetting about the box for the rest of the day*'

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Modern example: Getting preorder DLC in non-preorder box. :thumbsup:

Renegen

Arcane
I always loved getting free games with my graphic card purchases.

Luzur

Good Sir
my brother trapped his balls once in a game box.

dunno why really, still dont, after all these years.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Infinitron said:
Modern example: Getting preorder DLC in non-preorder box. :thumbsup:

I did that with BF3, found the limited edition preorder box amongst the regular games.

Beyond that I think I had like 3 copies of disc 2 in my Psychonauts box or something equally annoying.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Which game was it? Did he actually tell you that? why?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom