Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terminal Conflict - The Geopolitical Strategy Game

Stumbled across this, apparently it goes into early access a few days into December.

Command the most authentic Cold War strategy simulator
• Turn-based single-player strategy and head-to-head multiplayer
• MIRVIN, your retro computer, purpose built, AI guide, brilliantly voice acted by James Spence.
• Nuclear warfare systems and authentic Doomsday Clock tension mechanism, the countdown to midnight has started … 3 …2 …1
• All aspect strategic warfare – economic, intelligence, diplomacy and military combat.
• Era immersive, historically plausible events and decisions covering the period between 1946-1991
• Recruit 30+ unique historical leaders like Mao Zedong, Margaret Thatcher, or Ernesto ”Che” Guevara brandishing their own special abilities.
• The Space Race is on! Will you claim technological superiority?
• Create and tell your own history through modding and customization with a powerful integrated in game editor

TerminalConflictIntel-1024x576.jpg

TerminalConflictResearch-1024x576.jpg

Heres some long gameplay of it that I found.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
It's an exact carbon copy, yes. I guess it is, in fact, thematically appropriate.

I don't have time and never will for a 4 hour video, but this seems to put a fair bit of focus on actual military deployments and action? I would really hope for more of a Twilight Struggle deluxe.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It's an exact carbon copy, yes. I guess it is, in fact, thematically appropriate.

I don't have time and never will for a 4 hour video, but this seems to put a fair bit of focus on actual military deployments and action? I would really hope for more of a Twilight Struggle deluxe.
The font I think could use more pixelation to make it look older and more primitive. Similarly, having the map underlying the overlay be a lower resolution satellite image would add to old computer aesthetics.

Apparently this game is being made by the team behind the canceled cold war paradox game East vs West which I didn't know.

http://strategy-mill.com/games.html

Terminal Conflict - "Power Brokers" Dev Diary 29

Hello, Frithjof Nikolai Wilborn reporting from a dusty Middle East! These last few weeks, we've been busy improving on the terminal systems for that epic clash between Israel and the Arab states. Put on your khakis and join us in this first part of a three part development diary.

The topic at hand today is the Leaders in the Levantian Zone, the eternal focal point of strife and discontent from ancient times and throughout the Cold War. The question for all power brokers of importance and naturally also for you, has always been whom to support. Something you will grapple with in a series historical plausible events, where you make the decisions.

History in the making

The historical position for the USA in the conflict was one of wait and see but they can spring into action at once, should they deem it necessary. The USSR on their side face no less of a challenge. «A Masterful Proposal» will present itself for you, hero of the union, opening the opportunity to secure Egypt and thus the strait of the Suez Canal. Locking the Americans out of an easy logistical route between Asia and Europe will surely bring good things for the spread of Communism especially if the US chooses to support Israel. This is indeed a masterful plan, however, in case the Americans remain neutral or support the Arabs, you, the mighty General Secretary of the Soviet Union might choose to instead support Israel.

A battle of leadership, abilities and power

In the case of Ben Gurion, the benefit of Soviet action is that you can aim to dismantle one of America's strategic allies, by removing his many leader abilities. The leader abilities of both USA's and the USSR's allies are essential for their power projection and reach. By removing one of Ben Gurion's leader abilities (SUPPLY: Spend 1 POWER per Unit to restore combat Status of adjacent friendly units), you weaken the potential of the American stranglehold on the Middle East. For Ben Gurion it is beneficial to gain support from both superpowers, increasing his ability to hold onto power longer. Him being longer in power means he will be able to use his remaining abilities to the benefit of the USA for a longer time. Ben Gurion is more than willing to trade away his ability to strike at the USSR in exchange for strengthening his power and that of his nation. This is as such a risk/reward decision you need to take. Ben Gurion might stay in power, but he will not contribute to the expansion of US influence. At the same time, having a powerful leader occupying a strategic region will also prevent the US from recruiting additional leaders into the same region.

This all comes to head, at «The Plan of Partition». Both superpowers have the option to support either the Israeli State, Pan-Arabism or to remain neutral. Historically, the USSR supported the Israelis first but switched to the Arabs in the end but it doesn't have to be so in this timeline! We do not decide the outcome of history - you do! Choices have consequences and there is no better example then Ben-Gurion. Nominally America's man, but he would welcome USSR support, creating interesting outcomes.

Thus, you will face a battle of allegiance - a battle of leadership. Will you have the strategy for providing that? Do not worry! I will naturally help you out with providing you one in the second part of this three part series. We will explore in detail the strategies and policies that you can enact to shape the Middle East of tomorrow!

Would you like to know more or would you like to drop us a message? We receive a lot of fanmail, but we'll notice a fun, well written post anytime on our Twitter , Facebook , or on Reddit.

Would you like to have news delivered about our game straight to you? Sign up at terminalconflict.com

Regards,

Nik and the team

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Apparently this game is being made by the team behind the canceled cold war paradox game East vs West which I didn't know.

Yep, and they made Arsenal of Democracy for HOI 2

Hellraiser

Arcane
Don't remind me of East vs West. Cancelling it is one of the biggest crimes Paradox committed. The time period is such a goldmine for interesting conflict and alt-history, which we were denied by those damn DLC-milking swedes. Also we missed out on playing as batshit post-colonial despots!

:decline:

Vaarna_Aarne

I'm not entirely sure it can be called a crime or just their fault alone, considering that the thing that led to East vs West's cancellation was how horribly mismanaged the project was. The gang just bit more than they could chew off (multiplayer in particular ate resources like crazy), and after numerous delays and running over budget, Pdox eventually pulled the plug.

But yes, I would have let myself be milked the shit out of by His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular The DLC.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Cold War is a horrible setting for Paradox games. No major wars, only limited conflicts with internal struggle. Exactly the opposit eof what they are doing - simplifying domestic matters to concentrate on warfare and war-related economy

Vaarna_Aarne

It really depends on how you want to focus the game. If you actually had real restrictions to how much manpower and arms can be tied to a (proxy) war, you can effectively tie down the superpowers and instead shift focus to the bottom of the global ladder. Rather than build the game around US and USSR, you build it around Idi Amin, Viet Cong, Israel, Angola, Congo, Korea, things like that. There's a lot of fertile ground to work with there in lowering the focus downwards, and perhaps in allowing the superpowers to self-nuke and see what happens when big chunk of global industry and resources are wiped out if you intend to build an empire on the ashes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom