Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex Top 10, take 2

NI knight

Novice
Favorites
------
Planescape Torment
Fallout

Good
------
Fallout 2
Knights of the Old Republic ( first CRPG placed in Star Wars universe, and on top of that a good CRPG )
Baldur's Gate 2 ( with Throne of Bhaal you had 200 hours of enjoyable game. Freaking Behemot !!!
Might and Magic VI

Honorable Mentions
-------

System Shock 2 ( It's a hybrid, but SS 2 have more Role-Playing than half of the new titles that hit the market lately )
Neverwinter Nights 2
Knights of the Old Republic 2 ( KOTOR 2 would be higher, but Lucasarts butcher it with hasty release)
Arcanum ( nice combination of technology and magic )

Raugnar

Novice
Favourites:
1.Goldenland 2 ("Zlatogorye 2").
2.Planescape: Torment ("What is the nature of the man?" and so on)

Good ones:
3.TES Morrowind (it's just....HUGE)
4.Knights of the Old Republic (Tough mercenary with "People die in war!" and other military shit); Lying Jedi-order counts too)
5.Might&Magic 4 (Just like to make a Rambo-match with army of 7 heroes of level 40)

Honourable mentions
6.Space Rangers 2
7.The Witcher
8.Bards' Tale
9.Silent Storm - Sentinels
10.Erasers (That is Russian release "Sanitary Podzemeliy")
11.The Guild - If it could be fully called RPG.

---------------------------------------
No Fallout - I don't like the whole lot of "post-apocaliptic"...hm,things)
About Erasers - I'm not so sure that it's known here,because of it's unbroken bonds to post-Soviet culture.But,yet,it's very grim,dark,rassist,sexist and so on game.Probably,it won't be anjoyed by many of presents.
Goldenland 2 - not released in West(as I remember) damn good RPG,based on Slav's old mythology.My favorite game,if it counts.Best choise for Christmas and New Year's vocations playing.For a couple of years already)

Raugnar

Novice
In what?Turn-based,whell-known mosters and history,normal plot(not brilliant,but playable),and absoluetly normal stat and combat system - so,why?
At least one critical reason.

Or else your verdict could be told about...you know)

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Uh... The story is retarded. It really is. It's not even "An ancient evil awakes...", it's "Remember the ancient evil you fought in the original game? Well, it awakes again!"

Quests and dialogues are retarded as well. I have never seen such awful writing.

Combat system is horribly unbalanced. Mages die in seconds, and you will be spending fucking hours completing idiotic FedEx quests until you are powerful enough to have even a slightest chance of surviving a random encounter.

The game doesn't have any redeeming qualities. I can't believe that some people actually like it.

Or else your verdict could be told about...you know)
Be my guest.

LittleJoe

Arbiter
Yay! A topic for the lurkers!

Favourites:
BG2.
BG1.

Good:
Gothic 2.
Gothic 1.
Arx Fatalis.

Honourblade:
FO2.
FO1.
PS:T.
Wizardry 8. (Only 1/3 through but it already makes the list.)
Morrowind.

I've just played Gothic 3, and although it starts off well, it becomes more like Oblivion than a true gothic game.

Kizmiaz

Novice
Fav's:
Fallout
Planescape: Torment

------------------------------------

Good:
Fallout 2
Arcanum
Baldurs Gate 2

-----------------------------------

Honourable:
Baldurs Gate
Alternate Reality: The City
Sundog
Ultima IV
BattleTech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
OracleX said:
Oh Fallout in your Top pick... how suprising... :P

Second top pick, though. I consider Realms of Arkania 2 superior to Fallout (when considered in the context of the trilogy, I never really consider the NLT games as separate games), though I think a lot of that fondness is just my love for DSA in general.

I hate directly comparing games from clearly different eras, though, as Fallout and RoA are, or Fallout and Gothic 2.

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
Fav's:

Arcanum
System Shock 2

Good (great?) ones:

Fallout
Fallout 2

Honorable Mention:

Wasteland
Deus Ex
Neverwinter Nights
Temple of Elemental Evil
BG 2

Binary

Liturgist
Amasius said:
Binary said:
My stomach twists every time I read someone calling PS:T a RPG
Than you must have horrible stomach ache every time you visit the Codex. Masochist, eh? But why do you consider for example Betrayal at Krondor a RPG and PS:T not? I'm really curious now.

Nitpicking ftw ;) Betrayal on Krondor has many RPG-related features that I do not recall on PS:T. Free exploration away from the main story, character statistics having an influence on the game, proper combat system, etc.

As I said, PS:T is a very good game. A very good adventure game. They could and should have avoided the small "forced" RPG elements in it (starting with the imho boring fedex quests).

But I understand most of the Codex readers are from a generation that was "born" to RPGs with Fallout and PS:T and BG, and not with Wasteland or Goldbox or Questron, so the results of this poll are normal.

aboyd

Liturgist
Huh? I'm 36 -- not "born to RPGs with Fallout" and I still think that era was great (Fallout/F2/PS:T/BG/Arcanum/BG2). And I recall multiple places where character statistics had an influence on the game (PS:T). In fact, that was a HUGE part of the game. There are entire blocks of dialogue and activity that are closed to you unless you have the stats for it. I almost don't even understand your point. It seems like complaining that "the sky is never blue" when in fact we've all seen it blue quite often.

RuySan

Augur
Favorites:
Albion
Fallout

Good Ones:
Fallout 2
Baldur's Gate 2

Mentions:
Gothic 2
Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines
KoTor 2
Icewind Dale
Phantasy Star

Binary

Liturgist
Elwro said:
Binary said:
Nitpicking ftw ;) Betrayal on Krondor .
at

Humor is a lost art. Let me try again.

Betrayal above Krondor :roll:

aboyd said:
Huh? I'm 36 -- not "born to RPGs with Fallout" and I still think that era was great (Fallout/F2/PS:T/BG/Arcanum/BG2). And I recall multiple places where character statistics had an influence on the game (PS:T). In fact, that was a HUGE part of the game. There are entire blocks of dialogue and activity that are closed to you unless you have the stats for it. I almost don't even understand your point. It seems like complaining that "the sky is never blue" when in fact we've all seen it blue quite often.

There's nothing really great an innovative about that era. I've often seen the sky blue with RPGs from the late 80s and early 90s, so there's nothing that strikes me as groundbreaking from that period - except Faery Tale Adventures 2.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
:Free exploration away from the main story, character statistics having an influence on the game, proper combat system, etc."

L0L You funny.

sabishii

Arbiter
Favorites
Fallout
PS:T

Good Ones
BG2
The Witcher
NWN Community Modules

Honorable Mentions
MotB
Jade Empire/KotOR/Mass Effect
Gothic 3
Fallout 2
Pokemon Red

Binary

Liturgist
Claw said:
Binary said:
Humor is a lost art. Let me try again.

Betrayal above Krondor :roll:
You're right. It's clearly lost, at least you don't have it. :roll:

More likely you're not smart enough to get it ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom