Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Conception (Working Title)

What programming language should I use to make a text-based game?

• Java

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • C++

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Python

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • C#

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • C

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Code it from the ground up!

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Random

Arcane
Patron
Current order of business:

I want to iron out some of my concepts for the game, and find a way to balance realism with fun that doesn't compromise on either (HAH).

In the meantime, I'm trying to work on a side project using Inform 7. This will be my big test to see if I have what it takes to make a real deal vidya gaem.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I don't know shit about programming languages, but I wanted to give a big gigantic

:yeah:

for your project.

curry

Arcane
gtfo and don't come back until you have something to show

I've had it with these motherfucking vapourwares on this motherfucking RPG forum

Random

Arcane
Patron
Nigguh I want to do a good job of this. So either offer helpful advice, helpful criticisms, or GTFO and take your pessimism with you. That's the last damn thing I need right now. Pessimism doesn't make games.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I only have experience with pascal and a bit of C++ so I dunno.

Just want to show support.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Re: Untitled Project: The Conception

Random said:
Okay, I mentioned my desire in another topic to create a sort of text-based RPG/interactive fiction game. Seeing that there was a strong positive response to the idea, I decided that this project could be promising and perhaps even lucrative if I complete it.

Current order of business:

I need to decide on a programming language to use. I'm fluent in Java, and learned Python (though that was a long time ago). I can learn pretty much any language I need to, though, since I'm a Computer Science major and it's in the job description.

Any suggestions, fellow hopefuls?

Languages are indeed irrelevant. So is your computer science degree. If you never made a game before, start small. Don't bother starting with an RPG.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
curry said:

I've had it with these motherfucking vapourwares on this motherfucking RPG forum
the workshop is just as much about growing ideas and planning projects as it is about showing off waporware project progression an shit.

when you say text-based, you mean no graphics at all, just black screen with text?
or graphic with text commands?

Random

Arcane
Patron
shihonage said:
Languages are indeed irrelevant. So is your computer science degree. If you never made a game before, start small. Don't bother starting with an RPG.

Thanks for the advice, but if you ask me a turn-based RPG is starting small.

Zed said:
when you say text-based, you mean no graphics at all, just black screen with text?
or graphic with text commands?

The former. Think of it as a story and character-driven Zork with choices and consequences. And a turn-based RPG fighting system. I have no stomach or talent for graphics creation (except 3d modelling, but that doesn't count). My solution is to replace whatever shitty graphic design I would be able to output with flowery text descriptions.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Hey, you don't really need any programming knowledge to do this. There are a number of engines out there specifically for text games. Inform 7 is the one I'm most familiar with and, from my understanding, is the most robust and customizable, but there are others like SUDSLORE and JACL that might work better for you. Consider your options and needs before you dedicate yourself to building an engine from scratch.

Wunderpurps

Educated
If it's text only why do you care what language is used? Use what you know or has good general OO features. Fonts are something to think about, though. If you want to do more than text some day you might go with C++.

curry said:

It only becomes comical and/or annoying when the release date is "any day now" for several years oryou rant about assholes wasting your time with press requests and make yourself look super important and professional then turn around with a make me a game ad where you try to get someone to do 5 years of work for free.

shihonage said:
Languages are indeed irrelevant.

:roll:

Random

Arcane
Patron
Talk about a lack of consensus.

The problem with using any of those special languages is that I plan to implement more than just text sooner or later. Java happens to be what I know, and it's portable and easy to make web-based, so I've decided to go with it. Thanks for the input, at least.

I've decided on a theme. I don't suppose any of you want it spoiled on the off chance that you actually get to play this, so I'll keep it to myself. Beginning the pseudocode now.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
choices and consequences

turn-based RPG fighting system

I plan to implement more than just text sooner or later

Beginning the pseudocode now

if you ask me a turn-based RPG is starting small

Z66UJ.gif

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Personally I'd say having a listed well-defined set of commands and a fairly clear sense of direction is important. You know, to avoid obscurantism the way the Codex text adventure had.

Similarly, try not to involve dead ends that aren't clear dead ends. Nothing is worse than playing for an hour and then realizing you have to restart because of some mistake you made earlier on. Also, not too much trial n error is also a good thing. Again going to the Codex adventure, I had eventually memorized and automatically put in the key presses until the point where you walk on the road out of Retardo without even thinking about it (read = checkpoints are a good idea to try and make).

And of course, don't try to get overly ambitious. Thursday never comes.

Wunderpurps

Educated
Random said:
Talk about a lack of consensus.

The problem with using any of those special languages is that I plan to implement more than just text sooner or later. Java happens to be what I know, and it's portable and easy to make web-based, so I've decided to go with it. Thanks for the input, at least.

I've decided on a theme. I don't suppose any of you want it spoiled on the off chance that you actually get to play this, so I'll keep it to myself. Beginning the pseudocode now.

Java is good but only for 2D so if you can't into art really well 2D is not for you and you'll never be able to get someone to do a million high quality 2D tiles and sprites for you, and therefore Java isn't either. Since you are programmer 3D makes more sense, which means C++ is the way to go.

I kinda agree with shihonage it's not a tiny task to make a combat system and dialog system, but it's much smaller task than going full derp ahead and making a 3D or 2D game. But making tiny games like centipede just to learn is a complete waste of time, and will end up taking longer than you'd expect.

If all you want is a text output to a console then pretty much every (sane) language is going to be functionally the same. In the end 90% of what you are working with is going to be a bunch of print statements with a bunch of basic logic in between them, thats computer programming 101 stuff.

Don't use Java though because then everyone will laugh at you for being a faggot.

Random

Arcane
Patron
Duly noted, Aarne. I didn't like those parts any more in the Zork series than in the Codex Adventure.

Well, C++ isn't too fundamentally different from Java, so I shouldn't have much trouble with it. I'll compare the two of them and see which one I think will be more convenient, then get back to you guys.

The pseudocode can be done at any point, regardless of the language I end up using, so I'll keep doing it.

If the going gets too rough, I'll just have to nix the RPG elements and go for full interactive fiction.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Random said:
If the going gets too rough, I'll just have to nix the RPG elements and go for full interactive fiction.
But then it would be just yet another text adventure lost in the internet.

Random

Arcane
Patron
Well it wouldn't happen unless I truly thought the situation was dire. As it is, I think it'd be rather simple, really. Just make a text adventure, make it do the fusion dance with an RPG. Pour in some C&C for flavour along with the freedom to do whatever the fuck you want (within the limits of your power), and the game should turn out meaty. (lol gamey meat)

Wunderpurps

Educated
I think it sounds like a reasonable project and you should do ok. I like the name, too.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, well, better start testing from the start dude.

Have you thought about your structure for turns? Initiative? Interrupts? Delaying?

What about AI - is it going to be thinking about how to organize the orders? For instance a enemy with free action waiting for their team mage to cast web is all kinds of awesome.

Situational tactics? (think KoTC burning braziers).

Or what about making the delayed blast fireball really delayed? As in when the next opponent moves?

AI pathing taking AC and designated tanks into consideration? Establishing walls of flesh?

The question:
http://digestingduck.blogspot.com/2011/ ... crowd.html
Then his solution:
http://digestingduck.blogspot.com/2011/ ... nning.html

Nasty. But awesome.

My suggestion would be to hit that domain hard, refactor and start with tests for EVERYTHING

AI is a hellish topic, good luck.

Z66UJ.gif

Random

Arcane
Patron
Since I'm trying to create characters that mean something rather than blank slates, yeah, I think I will focus on the AI quite a bit in fights. It's hella jarring when you find out that despite your awesome power, a bunch of humans with tactics end up killing you like a bitch. Of course, this means that it will be important to develop your own party so you can fight tactics with tactics.

I also plan to implement situational and environmental tactics for added variety and depth.

But yeah, thanks for the advice, bros. I'll probably be busy on the pseudocode for a while, but I'll get back to you when I'm done with that. I might even work on some of the writing, too... If I feel up to it.

Teepo

Scholar
Music is ez pz. I can show you how to make what you like with Reason 5.0. Very easy to make .wav files of original music. I can show you the kind of music I've made with it and how to make your own. Just pm me if you want to do this.

As for the rest of the game... how's it going?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom