Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fuck this shit when in year we'll have Wasteland 2. :smug:

Never thought I'd agree with a commie :p but this thread has done nothing to convince me that this is anything other than what I thought it was initially... a button-smashing, console action game, twitch-fest... no thanks. Think I'd rather go nerdrage in the W2 vigilance forum than talk about this game anymore.

wow... and you're not even a newfag. codex sinks to new lows every day...

... because you like a console game and I don't. I smell fanboyism on you my friend. (I'm just pocking at you, no offense :D)

Not buying game is one thing, just bashing game for hell no reason at all is another

You do realize this is the Codex, right? Oh... Joined:Today... never-mind :roll:

It's probably been mentioned here already, because it's mentioned in every thread I've ever seen concerning DeS and DaS anywhere, but if you try to play it as a straight up HnS you are going to get butt paddled quite hard. There's just no winning if you try it that way, even if you over grind and get the cheesy armor buffing spells. You are still going to get slapped around if you don't take it seriously. You have to have some kind of co-ordination in combat. Even with magic that is the most over powered of all the combat styles you still have to orient yourself; dodge, block, parry and constantly move around because it takes time to cast the stronger spells and you don't want to be squished while you're getting off a spell. I'm not saying that it's super hard and that you have to fight tooth and nail every time, but you do have to be cautious or you'll get killed. You can't click clickidy click your way to victory. Even the beginner enemies can block with shields, and believe me, they can ruin your day pretty fast if you go full retard even for a second.

I've seen my friends try to play it like Diablo. They didn't get very far. Most of them didn't even get to Taurus, which is the first proper boss fight, not counting the tutorial demon.

This is why that is not the game for me. I'm just getting too old for those style of games. That is the main reason I got so excited about the Wasteland 2 project when it was announced and have been looking forward to AoD for so long... is it Thursday yet?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I clenched my teeth together and rushed Taurus head on with only a very limited amount of Soul Arrows the first few times I faced off with him. I didn't use the stabbing method to kill him. Shit was hard but fun. I wish I could replay DeS for the first time again, although I wouldn't mind having meta knowledge about the bullshit that is trying to cut off Seath's tail off.
Yeah, the first playthough is insanely exciting and fun, the best gaming experience I had in almost 10 years. But New Game+ just isn't that good, I prefer to create new characters and play with weird weapons and "reverse-powergaming". My first was a mage too, then I finished with a endurance + shield guy (easiest of all easy), then tried pyromancer + axes, cleric + swords, and finally a very stupid & challenging and fun Rogue with no shield, that is making me rage a lot on the 2 dragonslayer bros.

praetor

Arcane

Never thought I'd agree with a commie :p but this thread has done nothing to convince me that this is anything other than what I thought it was initially... a button-smashing, console action game, twitch-fest... no thanks. Think I'd rather go nerdrage in the W2 vigilance forum than talk about this game anymore.

wow... and you're not even a newfag. codex sinks to new lows every day...

... because you like a console game and I don't. I smell fanboyism on you my friend. (I'm just pocking at you, no offense :D)

liking it has absolutely no relevance with you talking 100% bullshit about it. i like the game a lot, but i'm no fanboy and blatant lies and misinformation irks me regardless of my preferences. as has been said multiple times, this is not a "typical" action game where button mashing and twitching are the name of the game (i.e. like KoA), but you seem unable to grasp that difference. are you sure you're not a newfag in oldfag clothing? because you sure as hell sound like it...

Hobo Elf

Arcane
This is why that is not the game for me. I'm just getting too old for those style of games. That is the main reason I got so excited about the Wasteland 2 project when it was announced and have been looking forward to AoD for so long... is it Thursday yet?

It's ok to not like this kind of game, it's not for everyone. Just don't be a queer like Skyway and make fantastic statements based on misinformation or bullshit opinions that you made up on the spot.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
What I really love about this game is that it doesn't need good twitch reflexes at all. It's not like DMC which is insanely hard unless you have incredible reaction time and coordination. This game really lets you make up for lack of dexterity with planning, foresight and caution. You can be pretty bad at twitching and still struggle through by blocking and dodging properly and using a weapon that fits your style.

Since I'm horrible with my twitch reflexes I'm using the 2-handed Asylum Hammer, awful as it might be. I just love the way it feels and how terribly slow it is, rewarding planning and caution a thousand times more than fast reflexes. You really have to plan every hit and every dodge with a weapon like that and it's very rewarding.

If you don't like twitch-reflexes like in Ninja Gaiden or DMC, but love intelligent encounter design and a great combat/control system like in God Hand or Castlevania (the NES one) this is a really great game for you. Nevermind that it has an atmosphere and mood that blows everything I have played in the last ten years out of the water. I know what I said.

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I surrender! :D You both win as I certainly don't want to be associated with Skyway!!!! :eek: I guess I've been so jaded about any game lately, especially a self proclaimed AAA title that my gut reaction is to scream CONSOLE TRASH!!! I still stick by my assessment that this "style" of game is not for me. I base this on what you all have said as well as the video gameplay I've seen. I also think you guys didn't understand my "I can't use a controller" statement... I meant I physically cannot use them... look ma, no hands! :( Thus my love for turn-based games!!!

betamin

Learned
You literally have no hands or what? I understand your dislike of the game if that's so...

mindx2

Patron
You literally have no hands or what? I understand your dislike of the game if that's so...

Correct, I was born that way (maybe I should rephrase that as I don't want to sound like Lady Gaga :oops:) . I have my trusty Microsoft Trackball mouse that helps me greatly and I do quite well with FPS like Serious Sam, Hexen, Duke, etc. but my love has always been cRPGs especially turn-based ones :thumbsup:!!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture

Correct, I was born that way (maybe I should rephrase that as I don't want to sound like Lady Gaga :oops:) . I have my trusty Microsoft Trackball mouse that helps me greatly and I do quite well with FPS like Serious Sam, Hexen, Duke, etc. but my love has always been cRPGs especially turn-based ones :thumbsup:!!

Umm... so how do you.. you know... uhm...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I guess either he uses the trackball with his arms, or perhaps his feet. I constantly lost in Mortal Kombat II to a kid in my biulding that had no arms whatsoever and played Super Nintendo with only his feets...gotta say it was more due insane skills on his part than lack on mine.

Grimlorn

Arcane

I surrender! :D You both win as I certainly don't want to be associated with Skyway!!!! :eek: I guess I've been so jaded about any game lately, especially a self proclaimed AAA title that my gut reaction is to scream CONSOLE TRASH!!! I still stick by my assessment that this "style" of game is not for me. I base this on what you all have said as well as the video gameplay I've seen. I also think you guys didn't understand my "I can't use a controller" statement... I meant I physically cannot use them... look ma, no hands! :( Thus my love for turn-based games!!!
I understand this may not be your style of game, but if it goes to PC, and you have a friend that has it, you should give it a shot just to see what it's like. It's worth trying at least if it's free. Sometimes the videos don't make the game look challenging or look like a twitch game because the person playing it is an expert and knows all the attacks the enemies do and how to respond and counter them.

mindx2

Patron
I guess I should have expected the questions :roll:. I have the upper part of my arms to the elbow. I actually only have an elbow joint on one arm and I have what I call my "thumbs" at the ends. I took a picture to help:
vo3e2.jpg

Now, now Jasede... don't want to get to personal do we? :oops:

I've gamed most of my life and continue to enjoy PC gaming and discover the old gems I missed in the past. These tend to NOT be twitch-fest style games. I hope you now understand why I tend to shy away from those style games and dislike them so much. Think about it... many here have complained about the trend in gaming toward button-smashing, console style games but at least you could play them, my suffering goes even deeper! However, I carry on like a good Codex soldier should and fight the good fight to bring back our classic style cRPGs!:salute:

Condiments

Educated
I guess these kind of threads prove that the codex can be as retarded as any other vidya game forum out there. Dark Souls is an amazing game in an age of shit, and the fact it is coming to the PC should be regarded as a good thing. Its difficulty gets way over-hyped like its predecessor, but it certainly doesn't hold your hand, and is often diabolical in terms of encounter design.

Deitti

Augur
Finally to be able to play Dark Souls on PC with keyboard and mouse naturally. Looking forward to it, as the game is the best consoles have put out in years.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I guess I should have expected the questions :roll:. I have the upper part of my arms to the elbow. I actually only have an elbow joint on one arm and I have what I call my "thumbs" at the ends. I took a picture to help:
vo3e2.jpg

Now, now Jasede... don't want to get to personal do we? :oops:

I've gamed most of my life and continue to enjoy PC gaming and discover the old gems I missed in the past. These tend to NOT be twitch-fest style games. I hope you now understand why I tend to shy away from those style games and dislike them so much. Think about it... many here have complained about the trend in gaming toward button-smashing, console style games but at least you could play them, my suffering goes even deeper! However, I carry on like a good Codex soldier should and fight the good fight to bring back our classic style cRPGs!:salute:

I phrased it that way so people can have a chuckle! You're a true bro and deserve some great TB games and adventures! Here's to hoping Double Fine and inXile deliver! :salute:

Stabwound

Arcane
I hope I'm not the only one that found it kind of awkwardly funny that so many people are "brofisting" mindx2.

:troll:

Nah, that's some true bro stuff. It's always cool to hear about people with disabilities being able to play and enjoy games. The great thing about most of the good CRPGs is that, being turn-based, they're perfect for those that can't play "twitchy" games due to whatever reason, be it a disability or just loss of hand-eye coordination for whatever reason.

And hey, you're not missing out much by not being able to play the latest popamole shooters passing as "RPGs" anyway. :smug:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

As much as I'm looking forward to W2 (and I'm unbelievably excited!!), I'd be really suprised if it manages to be at least on par with Dark Souls. I mean, I hope it will, but still I'm gonna be surprised; that'd be one hell of a feat to pull of.

Yay, let's all get excited about yet another single character console action game with stats and a large budget! It's not like we don't get 5-10 of them per year!

Sorry, but whatever W2 becomes, even if it's graphically in the 90's with a clunky interface; the very fact that it will be a PROPER party based RPG with TB combat and liberal use of non-combat skills to solve quests rather being just another button mashing, jump around while trying everything in order to see what works boss fight laden action game; means that it wins by default.

No self respecting PC RPG gamer would ever rate this shit higher.

Besides, I saw the videos of some creature taking 5 seconds to swing and miss and the player character casually walking around the back to hack the enemy. Shit was pathetic. Then there was the 'jump back to avoid the swing, jump forward, slash' combat with the skeletons....man, haven't seen such complex combat before...:M

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, you don't know what you're talking about.
Oh really? Let me link to the videos then. You're not going to be able to pull a volly or Skyway with this my boy...let me see...

I draw attention to the skeleton fights at around 5 minutes. Note the 'block/jump back then move forward and slash' combat and tell me how this is different from every other ARPG.

I also draw your attention to the area of combat at 5.10 or so. remember this well....

A few hours in, combat has to be different, right?:

At 1 minute: Player stands there blocking for a long time before the skeleton even arrives, then the beast still goes with default attack that does nothing. Player sees that skeleton goes into a very long stunned mode and one shot kills it. AWESUM!!!!

Remember that location? Well 6 hours later the player reaches the same area with the same one shot skeletons(3.50)..No recycling here, all 100% awesum!..:M :

Also, I LOL every time I read some defender on the Codex praising it for its gritty unique setting: no giant dragons and magic or ancient prophecies or crawling around in dungeons and ruins here....no sireee!! :salute:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I can link you to videos of brutally difficult shoot 'em ups that will look boring and easy because the player never gets hit.
Then, when you try it for yourself, the game suddenly looks extremely different and is filled with action and you realize it only looked that way because of dedicated practice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom