Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial The Witcher 2 vs. Dragon Age II

circ

Arcane
DA 2 will MOS DEF have MMO combat, just like DA:O did. Witcher combat is the worst combat I have ever seen in a RPG/Diablo clone/Whatever. Witcher wins in more believable grimdark though, and actually interesting sex scenes. Too bad the rewards are retarded. It's also amazing that TW uses a 10(!?!?) year old modified shitty engine, and looks better than DA ever could. Meanwhile DA 2 looks about the same if not worse in some instances, than DA:O. And we all know how shitty/unimaginative/downright bare DA:O looked.

bonescraper

circ said:
It's also amazing that TW uses a 10(!?!?) year old modified shitty engine, and looks better than DA ever could.
Obviously you're talking about the first game? TW2 uses CDPR's home-brewn engine W.Y.K.U.R.W.I.S.T.Y. or sth like that.

Self-Ejected

BeholderX

Self-Ejected
circ said:
Meanwhile DA 2 looks about the same if not worse in some instances, than DA:O. And we all know how shitty/unimaginative/downright bare DA:O looked.

DA2 is actually heading in a much better direction than DA:O, because they're actually aiming to make the combat fun this time around. That means no friendly fire, eliminating casting and preparation time in favour of very short cooldowns, fast-paced real time turn based combat, and better spell and attack effects.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
BeholderX said:
circ said:
Meanwhile DA 2 looks about the same if not worse in some instances, than DA:O. And we all know how shitty/unimaginative/downright bare DA:O looked.

DA2 is actually heading in a much better direction than DA:O, because they're actually aiming to make the combat fun this time around. That means no friendly fire, eliminating casting and preparation time in favour of very short cooldowns, fast-paced real time turn based combat, and better spell and attack effects.

I think I see what you did there...

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Elwro said:
deuxhero said:
The Witcher at least had the decent to avoid filler combat.
How did you complete the game without entering the swamps?

Anyway, still liked the game very much, but it definitely had too much combat for me.

I would argue that the amount of combat was not the real problem. Its execution was.

In fact one of the things that worries me in TW2 is the emphasis on combat gameplay with all the fighting-related skills (swords, magic and potions) in spite of devs themselves claiming that for them combat is not the main focus but the story and dialogues are e.g. read this interview

There is contradiction out there, don't you think? First they make the skill set revolving around battle-situations totally neglecting social (e.g. diplomacy, haggle, intimidation etc.) and miscellaneous (e.g. pickpocketing, smithery, knowledge etc.) abilities, and then they proceed to say that combat is second (or third/forurth) to dialogues.

I fear they will spawn Biomances aplenty instead of quality, atmospheric game, Yet, no matter what happens TW2 is still shaping up to be better than DA2 will ever become.

BeholderX said:
DA2 is actually heading in a much better direction than DA:O, because they're actually aiming to make the combat fun this time around.

ok

That means no friendly fire,

:shock:

eliminating casting and preparation time in favour of very short cooldowns,

:retarded:

fast-paced real time turn based combat,

:retarded: oxymoron is :retarded:

and better spell and attack effects.

:retarded: :x :rage:

How the fuck all of this improves DA as an RPG I don't even... :x

Son, you are trolling. That or you are one of the poor victims of Biowhore forums. Either way congratulations. You qualify for RPGCodex brand own mind reconditioning programme. Admins have been notified. Good luck... :twisted:

Decado said:
Eurofags[...] were thrilled that a European game company could make a game and release without comical shenanigans.

I'll admit I was pretty damn surprised to see such high production values in a euro rpg - and a polish one at that - at a time when obsidian's latest game was nwn2, bethesda had churned out oblivion and bio hadn't released anything since jade empire.

Self-Ejected

BeholderX

Self-Ejected
Mrowak said:
fast-paced real time turn based combat,

:retarded: oxymoron is :retarded:

That's how the developers describe it, and it's a pretty good description too. The combat is still based around the fact that everybody is taking their "turn", but now it all happens very quickly and instantly. You can easily take 2-3 turns a second, which almost qualifies as real time already.

deuxhero

Arcane
Elwro said:
deuxhero said:
The Witcher at least had the decent to avoid filler combat.
How did you complete the game without entering the swamps?

Anyway, still liked the game very much, but it definitely had too much combat for me.

Run past them. Same thing I've doing it in Pokemon for years.

From PC Gamer # 208:

"This time, Geralt climbs into a different prisoner's cell and finds a woman tied up and topless. After freeing the prisoner, Geralt looks away as she covers herself up. It's an uncomfortable moment as a viewer; exploitative and more than a little creepy. Thankfully, other people thought so, too, and CD Projekt RED has already pledged to change it. The original Witcher took justifiable flak for the misogyny of its collectable sex cards, and the developers are determined not to make the same mistakes again."

kasmas

Educated
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
From PC Gamer # 208:

"This time, Geralt climbs into a different prisoner's cell and finds a woman tied up and topless. After freeing the prisoner, Geralt looks away as she covers herself up. It's an uncomfortable moment as a viewer; exploitative and more than a little creepy. Thankfully, other people thought so, too, and CD Projekt RED has already pledged to change it. The original Witcher took justifiable flak for the misogyny of its collectable sex cards, and the developers are determined not to make the same mistakes again."

Whay misogyny ? Geralt was used by all those horny bitches as a living vibrator . In TW2 Geralt must spank them to correct 1's obvious misandrism .

Angthoron

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
Jools said:
Lesifoere said:
Angthoron said:
Buying The Witcher 2 on day 1 in a special edition box. Not buying Dragon Age 2 ever.

This, except the box thing as I'll be buying TW2 off GOG.

I'm confused. I preordered the boxed "premium edition", which apparently is the "basic" one (comes with making of dvd, soundtrack cd, game guide, map, cursed coin and the papercraft stuff and). The other (supadupa collector's edition pro plus advanced) one has Geralt's head sculpture and stuff and was way too expensive.

Which one guys you got? What does it come with?

Dunno about Angthoron, but the GOG pre-order is the same basic one you're talking about. Barring the physical goods, so it's all in mp3 and pdf.

I'm thinking the "standard" premium boxed edition, the "deluxe" is a little bit too much in both the price and content. Seriously, what would I do with Geralt's bust of all things?

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Angthoron said:
I'm thinking the "standard" premium boxed edition, the "deluxe" is a little bit too much in both the price and content. Seriously, what would I do with Geralt's bust of all things?

If you were a woman, you could sit on it.

Oops - Lesi just upgraded her pre-order. :smug:

Angthoron

Arcane
If I'd have to pick a bust in my collector's edition, I'd prefer it to be Triss'.

Then again, that would be sort of gross.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
It's creepy either way. I bet some people will get that edition anyway, though.

kasmas said:
From PC Gamer # 208:

Whay misogyny ? Geralt was used by all those horny bitches as a living vibrator . In TW2 Geralt must spank them to correct 1's obvious misandrism .

Yeah, and Geralt suffered every minute of it in pain and despair. Wait no what. How did they "use" him again?

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
From PC Gamer # 208:

Why the fuck do people have to come up with politics and bullshit? Do people make writers re-write books because they didn't like a character? NO they fucking don't. Because the writer would tell them all to roll it and stove it.

But here they are, bullshitting developers with words such as "exploitative" and "misogyny". It's a fucking videogame, assholes.

This rant was directed at PCGamer and all those who try and politicise videogames, not at Genma. :)

Coyote

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
kasmas said:

Yeah, and Geralt suffered every minute of it in pain and despair. Wait no what. How did they "use" him again?

You can never be totally certain around here, but I'm pretty sure that was a joke.

Also,

Angthoron said:
If I'd have to pick a bust in my collector's edition, I'd prefer it to be Triss'.

I think I see what you did there...

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Black_Willow said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
Bunch of fucking Polish fanboys. Thinking their game is The Shit when in truth it's just shit.
Lol polack detected
Hey, am I interfering in your trolling?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"devs themselves claiming that for them combat is not the main focus"

Another reason why TW2 si gonna suck. It's gonna have a lot of shitty combat. Why do soemthinhg if you aren't gonna to at least try to make it good. Reminds of PST where people excuse its poor combat despite there being a lot of it even though PST had no excuse since IE combat is generally good.

FFS

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Lesifoere said:
It's creepy either way. I bet some people will get that edition anyway, though.

kasmas said:
From PC Gamer # 208:

IIRC, someone wrote a frigging essay on this and the conclusion was that because he is sterile and clean (disease-wise), he's perfect for all the frustrated women who he comes into contact with.Thus they only pump&dump him and he will never achieve the bliss of het-normative, "traditional" family unit, raising his 1.2 kids etc.

Yeah, I wasn't very convinced either that Geralt is suffering horribly. But I wasn't really convinced by the misogyny-argument either.

deuxhero

Arcane
Angthoron said:
Lesifoere said:
Jools said:
Lesifoere said:
Angthoron said:
Buying The Witcher 2 on day 1 in a special edition box. Not buying Dragon Age 2 ever.

This, except the box thing as I'll be buying TW2 off GOG.

I'm confused. I preordered the boxed "premium edition", which apparently is the "basic" one (comes with making of dvd, soundtrack cd, game guide, map, cursed coin and the papercraft stuff and). The other (supadupa collector's edition pro plus advanced) one has Geralt's head sculpture and stuff and was way too expensive.

Which one guys you got? What does it come with?

Dunno about Angthoron, but the GOG pre-order is the same basic one you're talking about. Barring the physical goods, so it's all in mp3 and pdf.

Seriously, is a Witcher amulet not blatantly simple enough?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom