Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Wolf Among Us - Fables Telltale adventure game

aris

Arcane
  1. I know what you're laughing at. It has puzzles (though still there's absolutely no way that you can fail). So did Walking Dead. Is that an adventure game all of the sudden?

aris

Arcane
  1. I think you don't have anything intelligent to say. That's of course why you always reply with derpy one liners like the two replies above.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ron Gilbert thinks failure states in adventure games are lazy design.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I love the style, music, setting (Vampire Masquerade with fairy tale characters? neato) and somewhat characters, but I once again feel like I am being completely manipulated that I have some choice, when I actually don't. And the episodic nature of the game means there is little point to play 1 or 2 episodes, because player's effort in collecting clues and establishing relationship with characters is just wasted, as there is no closure. I'll wait till all 5 episodes come out and maybe then play it.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Saying that Dear Esther and wolf among us (for those who say that) are the same however, is completely wrong. I can accept it if you want to call wolf among us an interactive story (but again, what keeps monkey island from being an interactive story? In Monkey Island you can't even have a failure state, everything is set in stone and must happen in the exact sequence that the developer intended), but it is not an exhibition. It is not comparable with Dear Esther.

Jesus fucking christ this shit isn't complicated. Having to figure out which items to use where, figure out the puzzles, is called gameplay. You don't need failure to have gameplay, but you do need some kind of effort from the player to overcome obstacles.

Athelas

Arcane
The problem isn't whether The Walking Dead and Fables qualify as games or not. It's that their linearity, removing exploration and item interaction out of their interaction, harms their most-touted feature - their interactive storytelling. Their stories would be much better with those elements, because they're both gameplay mechanics and storytelling tools.

buzz

Arcane
God, I had the comic in my backlog but I'm giving it second thoughts. It's the story basically turning fairy tale characters into edgy counterparts? I'd rather see a Transmetropolitan game/interactive cartoon than this.

aris

Arcane
Saying that Dear Esther and wolf among us (for those who say that) are the same however, is completely wrong. I can accept it if you want to call wolf among us an interactive story (but again, what keeps monkey island from being an interactive story? In Monkey Island you can't even have a failure state, everything is set in stone and must happen in the exact sequence that the developer intended), but it is not an exhibition. It is not comparable with Dear Esther.

Jesus fucking christ this shit isn't complicated. Having to figure out which items to use where, figure out the puzzles, is called gameplay. You don't need failure to have gameplay, but you do need some kind of effort from the player to overcome obstacles.
  1. Define effort. I can think of plenty times in the first episode of wolf among us, where I had to mak an "effort" to overcome an obstacle.

Eyeball

Arcane
This is easily one of the best-looking games I can recall not playing. Sure am enjoying watching an LP of this crap. Just a shame they didn't make a game out of it.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
God, I had the comic in my backlog but I'm giving it second thoughts. It's the story basically turning fairy tale characters into edgy counterparts? I'd rather see a Transmetropolitan game/interactive cartoon than this.
Goldilocks is a left wing extremist terrorist who is into bestiality, does it answer your question?

It's actually pretty good, if you can stomach that Willingham is somewhere to the right of Dick Cheney politically and using some of the characters for a bit of soapboxing sometimes.

PS a GTA clone set in The City would be better. With collecting Bowel Disruptor upgrades as a minigame.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I enjoyed first episode(as an interactive movie, gaming should go forward a bit, not backwards to Dragons Lair...), you threaten, scare and beat other fables as B.B.W.which is enough to entertain me. But still hating that Telltales episodic thing.

Also about QTEs, you realize that most of old adventure(mostly LA) games had them? Like when using voodoo doll/handkerchief on Lee Chuck or throwing a dragon some cold remedy.
Monkey İslands even had LoongTEs like drowning after 10 minutes

:troll:

aris

Arcane
Also about QTEs, you realize that most of old adventure(mostly LA) games had them? Like when using voodoo doll/handkerchief on Lee Chuck or throwing a dragon some cold remedy.
Monkey İslands even had LoongTEs like drowning after 10 minutes

:troll:
  1. Hahahaha!
  2. Man, I didn't think about that. Monkey Island 3 had several QTEs too.

buzz

Arcane
brokenSwordWide.jpg

Wizfall

Cipher
The game is well made, i enjoyed it quite a bit but it didn't feel like an adventure game.
I think it's the pacing and lack of puzzles.
Definitely not the same sensation that "classic" adventure games anyway.
Will watch the next episodes.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I loved the first episode. I enjoy the Telltale formula: cell-shaded interactive TV show with big-eyed cutie making you feel like shit about everything you do.

OH AND THAT ENDING OF EPISODE 1. MY HEART, STILL IT BLEEDS.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
I loved the first episode. I enjoy the Telltale formula: cell-shaded interactive TV show with big-eyed cutie making you feel like shit about everything you do.

Tell me about it, I really hate Telltale.

First the reporter chick in Walking Dead, then Faith and then Snow in WAU...

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong

This is just retarded. First they force you to form an 'emotional bond' with a character and then they kill her to make you care about the story. I didn't hate the ending of the first episode, I was just annoyed by it. When I saw police cars, I already new what happened, it was too obvious.

DeepOcean

Arcane

This is just retarded. First they force you to form an 'emotional bond' with a character and then they kill her to make you care about the story. I didn't hate the ending of the first episode, I was just annoyed by it. When I saw police cars, I already new what happened, it was too obvious.
What is really strange is that snow is pretty much alive in the comics and this is a prequel to them.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron

Yeah it was too obvius, I was hoping that they killed of another character for a better shock effect, like Beauty.
I hope we deal with some mundy inturders in second episode

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom