Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4e

Discussion in 'The Gazebo' started by Andhaira, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    I'll just stick with 3rd edition rules and some stuff from 2nd Edition. Will never need anything more.

^ Top  
  2. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    If you like 3e, you surely are in a minority position. What do you like about it? The "story telling" dice pools, the board game feel?

^ Top  
  3. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    uhm, I guess I'm mixing here some stuff up then. It's a while. I thought the one with the barbarian on the cover (in Germany) was already second edition (together with The enemy within campaign). But now I guess it was still first edition. Which means the 2nd edition with the same background as the tabletop game has is my preferred one.

^ Top  
  4. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
    Damn this looks sweet. All I personally wanted was improve/get rid of whiff factor, brand new full color art (though the color art in 2e was super sweet, it was starting to show its age), more talents, ability to stay in basic careers longer, more spells for each color of magic and/or a different magick system more like 1e, and they seemed to have pulled most of it off. The way you stay in basic careers longer/for ever is a bit iffy to me, could cause issues, but otherwise I'm sold.

edit: And Witchhunter (or apprentice Witch Hunter, whatever it will be called) from the get go! Now that right there is AWESOME! *nerdgazm*

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    I don't like the art - the beastman on the previous page was already a red flag, and this, while technically ok, doesn't look like Warhammer to me at all. It also lost the "Britishness", it could be from a Paizo product.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  6. Lagi Learned

Lagi
    I dont like what i see. "Fate & Fortune and Resilience & Resolve" - more artificial points to save your sorry ass.

WHM should be advertised more about "rules for wound infection", "rules for equipment damage", "rules for received maim", "rules for random encounter depends from smell of your food" - and all this should be super, archaic simple, like "read backwards your k100 dice from roll to hit and check in table how far away fly your left feet".
    I would be happy for all new "syndroms", from all such glitches.

^ Top  
  7. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Andhaira what about the fluff and what's the period the game is set in? Standard Karl Franz era?

^ Top  
  9. Beowulf Liturgist

Beowulf
    I don't like the artstyle. It reminds me of comic books aesthetics, not of the Old World.
    Signum temporis.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
    The Old World, the time period of WFRP 1e. However, unlike 1e they don't give an overview of the entire old world (to be frank 1e had more old world lore in the enemy within campaign) but rather focus on the Reikland. C7 is aping their release of The One Ring, where they focus on a region at a time per sourcebook.

Anyhow, right now this preview edition has a lot of errors/typos etc, which folk have been giving C7 feedback on. Some mechanics also need more clarification and possibly more playtesting; hopefully all this is incorporated in the final release. If so it could be a great game, otherwise...

I personally have some reservations right now; I don't like that Attributes & Skills increase in increments of 1% rather than 5%/10% of WFRP 2e. I don't like the limited amount of spells for the Colleges and the larger number of General Spells (which were called lesser magic in 2e), I prefer the colleges have more options to diversify wizards. Hopefully this is fixed in a magic supplement. I lso don't like that career entries and exits are gone; they were quirky but that was the charm. The career paths now are more open.

I do like that you can be a Witch Hunter from the get go (apprentice witch hunter career) and there are a lot more talents this time around, especially focusing on combat which seems it will be brutal.

So lets wait and see for a bit.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. hivemind Guest

hivemind
    what do you think of la creatuer 56% showcased in the artwork as regular denizens of the empire?

^ Top  
  12. DavidBVal 4 Dimension Games Patron Developer

DavidBVal
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    A friend gifted me the 4e Collector Edition, I hope I can repay that with some DM'ing in 2019.

Some things are really interesting, and they seem to build on 1st edition best ideas, which is great. Other rules I don't like much, like how they made every career multi-leveled allowing you to effectively ignore career changing and remain on your first career. I haven't read it end-to-end yet, but overall seems like a fast-paced game that would be fun to play and easy to learn for players, yet complex enough to allow interesting char development. The setting reboot is also a huge relief, I hated where it went with 2e and later and this allows using of some great material already there, like City of Chaos.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    The starter set is also quite nice.
    (And the art isn't as bad as originally feared - for example that atrocious beastman on the previous page isn't anywhere in the book, as far as I can tell.)

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)