Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Warmachine: Tactics

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
All in all, WarmaHordes is a tighter game that's gaining a lot of popularity. But since a lot of old-school wargamers have thousands upon thousands of kwabucks sunk into GW pewter, they make up a bunch of excuses to pretend they aren't a dying breed.
The aesthetics are so lame, though.

No birds-eye view of the battle in the kickstarter is an immediate turn-off for me.
Yes, holy shit. Do I hate those retarded angles to play a tactical game. It's cool only during attacks if the animations are nice.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

I rather like the Steampunk Soviets.
Winter-Guard-Rifle-Corps.png

33077_GunCarriageWEB_0.jpg

33059_GreatBearsofGallowswood_WEB.jpg

33034_ForwardKommanderSorschaKratikoff_WEB.jpg

My Miniatures days are over (donated my eldar, tyranid, IG, dwarves and orks to the gaming clubs I frequented). But if I were to pick up a minis game today, I'd be getting into WarmaHordes, no contest.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
All in all, WarmaHordes is a tighter game that's gaining a lot of popularity. But since a lot of old-school wargamers have thousands upon thousands of kwabucks sunk into GW pewter, they make up a bunch of excuses to pretend they aren't a dying breed.

Like, say, people who like old-school RPGs instead of the "tighter" modern ones?

Serious question, I have never actually played a miniature wargame, only read rulebooks. Seems like I would prefer those with lots of units, formations and shit though, like the historical stuff or at least Warhammer Fantasy.

How/why is everything else other than Warmachine a dying breed?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Like, say, people who like old-school RPGs instead of the "tighter" modern ones?

Serious question, I have never actually played a miniature wargame, only read rulebooks. Seems like I would prefer those with lots of units, formations and shit though, like the historical stuff or at least Warhammer Fantasy.

How/why is everything else other than Warmachine a dying breed?

The main problem with fantasy is that you don't really have much in the way of strategy. You're basically lining up your units on opposite ends of the table, then throwing buckets of die (20-40 per round of attacks is not unusual) to see which of the two regiiments eventually breaks and dies. Nearly all of the "strategy" in warhammer happens when you're building your army list and before you even meet your opponent. In fact, it's not unusual to see your 20-man regiment get charged, lose a round of combat, fail a break test and be removed from the game entirely in the same turn. In WarmaHordes, your multi-HP unit will most likely be good for 3-4 turns where your warcaster can allocate focus to it or other units can use special abilities to aid it. It'll probably end up taking enough damage to lose access to some of its abilities regardless, but the win/lose state is not nearly as binary. Where Warhammer is about designing the cheesiest army list and more or less being decided after unit deployment, WarmaHordes actually sees players redistributing limited resources in the form of Focus and abilities every round to determine the outcome of individual fights.

There are a bunch of game stores and clubs in the area where I live. Pretty much all of them are flipping from mostly Warhammer/MTG on their game nights to Warmachine/MTG with a small amount of Warhammer going on. The chief thing to remember is that potential new players of tabletop games are going to be faced with the choice of paying ~150 for a Warmachine army or ~500 for a Warhammer one.

If you really want to read into the difference between the two, there are plenty of articles on "40k vs warmachine" out there on the net.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
And it also bears mention that the various units are generally far more radically different in Warmachine, and a lot of them have ACTUAL formations and formation rules instead of just "box block" "skirmisher" and "bretonnian cavalry". Just the commander variation among Warcasters and Warlocks is immense compared to WH, even without getting into Theme Force rules (one of my favourite things they've done with the game). Epic version of Coleman Stryker and someone like Orsus Zoktavir (the big bald guy in the promo image) play immensily different, and these are two of the more straightforward fighty types. Then you get into guys like Nemo. My favourite example of a guy with crazy unique special rules is that one Protectorate warcaster who can crucify his defeated enemy models on the spot.

One notable example of the variety in rules regarding units is that in Warmachine the standard formation for a model unit is not decided by proximity to the nearest model, but proximity to unit leader model (distance based on their Command value). This in turn can lead to Bad Shit (tm) if you don't balance out your unit's formation well because a model outside of the command zone. This is also applied to your Warcaster and his Warjacks, who operate on a larger Control Zone based on the Warcaster's Focus. Models inside units are also treated as individual models for most purposes, so you can't try to use standard Warhammer crap like lockdown charges as readily.

The more detailed focus on individual combatants in all situations has numerous other more indepth applications as well. One might notice that beyond just the freeflowing movement in melee, Warjacks have a set of standard special tricks they can do. A good example is that while a combat between two heavy units in WH becomes a whack-a-mole contest where one lives and one dies, in Warmachine it can end with a radically different manner: Said Warjacks might start throwing each other around. In fact, throwing can be very advantageous when you are near water, since a knocked down Warjack is shut down by water and needs to be restarted.

tl;dr: Warmachine being tighter in terms of rules = It's better balanced (everything is overpowered in Warmachine, so actually nothing is), more in-depth, more tactical, more freedom, more options, -> better stronger faster.

EDIT: Also another thing to note regarding the whole price thing is that so far you're a LOT less likely to be fucked over by fundamental rule and game focus changes that require you to spend hundreds of dollars "correcting" your armies (ie, the retarded horde unit rules, magic dice fuckery and charge nerfs to WHFB in last edition change).

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Warmachine is shit, it's a dime a dozen skirmish game with visuals pulled from beelzebubs arse, hordes is slightly more interesting. As it is though these games garner a loud, vocal minority who are butthurt over GW's antics, then move on to the next indie FOTM when the inevitable price hikes arise.

And lol at warhammer dying, warhammer and GW are like pc gaming, they've been dying for the last 25 years.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Nice so it can be dumb in addition to being ugly now

Who the fuck plays a strategy game with a controller? it isn't even on consoles.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The devs are probably console gamers who are making the game for PC because that's where they imagine their market is.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Developers website said:
crew members with many years of experience on blockbuster titles such as Fallout, Descent, Ratchet & Clank, Medal of Honor and many others

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Oh dear...

So this is where the Medal of Honor team ended up after they got fired for making a game so popamole even EA marketing couldn't sell it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Developers website said:
crew members with many years of experience on blockbuster titles such as Fallout, Descent, Ratchet & Clank, Medal of Honor and many others
I hate those vague statements, I mean do they think that gives anyone confidence? For all we know it's a guy who did animation work for Fallout 3 or something equally bad.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Developers website said:
I hate those vague statements, I mean do they think that gives anyone confidence? For all we know it's a guy who did animation work for Fallout 3 or something equally bad.
Does it matter? You can see the animations right now.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The paludrons of the Great Bears of Gallowswood look somewhat impractical...

The main problem with fantasy is that you don't really have much in the way of strategy. You're basically lining up your units on opposite ends of the table, then throwing buckets of die (20-40 per round of attacks is not unusual) to see which of the two regiiments eventually breaks and dies. Nearly all of the "strategy" in warhammer happens when you're building your army list and before you even meet your opponent. MAME.

Warhammer 40K is not much more tactical than Warhammer, as everyone almost starts in range, the battlefield feels cramped, and maneuvering is somewhat non existent . I think the problem is not the timeline, but the scale : Both Space Marines (now epic : Armageddon) and Warmaster feel more tactical imo. I played epic to death, but WH40K not so much though so maybe it was our lack of experience, but the skirmish games felt very bland compared to the battalion level Epic : 40K. Unfortunately, it didn't sell as much, as it didn't feature cool detailed hero minis.

Vaarna_Aarne

I quit 40k several years before WHFB because it was just a plain shit game through and through. There was never any substance to it.

At the very least, WHFB had movement rules that made mobility have more depth to it, stronger emphasis on mobility thanks to the powerful effects of a charge, focus on breaking the opposing unit through morale, and a fairly strategic magic system. You still needed a big fucking table with good terrain tho (yours truly specialized in having lots of modular terrain, from hills to rivers to buildings to woods; most of the stuff I had was generic so it could be recycled anywhere, now serving a Warmachine function)

Then the new edition shat on all of that and made it rock-em-sock-em megablocks.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
What are the plans for mobile and console support? What about the Ouya?
We're currently focused on PC and Mac. But we've built the interface to work on any platform so that should the opportunity arise, we'll be ready to port without starting from scratch. And you can bet we'll be looking for more platform opportunities!
So that's why the interface is shit.

Also, lol at having to pledge 5 bucks more to get the manual with the game.

Branm

Learned
from the most recent update

Over the next week, we'll be updating with even more Add Ons. We've got some great stuff coming, including digital map packs, Kickstarter Exclusive custom mod kits featuring wild warcaster re-designs that you'll never see anywhere else, and we're even going to throw in some exclusive action for the forthcoming WARMACHINE: HIGH COMMAND deck building game, featuring these new characters created for the video game. So watch for updates and stay tuned for several exciting new offerings

Woah these faggots are already starting DLC/add ons with map packs??? WTF<<<, fuck them retracted my pledge....

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Over the next week, we'll be updating with even more Add Ons. We've got some great stuff coming, including digital map packs, Kickstarter Exclusive custom mod kits featuring wild warcaster re-designs that you'll never see anywhere else, and we're even going to throw in some exclusive action for the forthcoming WARMACHINE: HIGH COMMAND deck building game, featuring these new characters created for the video game. So watch for updates and stay tuned for several exciting new offerings

Woah these faggots are already starting DLC/add ons with map packs??? WTF<<<, fuck them retracted my pledge....

Kickstarters talking about DLC isn't anything new though. The unwashed masses practically demand it these days. I haven't pledged yet though. I'm waiting on the Kodex Kritikal Kuestions to be answered in the interview Whisky is doing

Vaarna_Aarne

I rather like the Steampunk Soviets.
Actually since the Warmachine setting draws heavily from World War 1 (with a hint of WW2 thrown in, like kinda-Poland/Belgium getting surprise invaded by Khador as the opening act of the war), Khador is more like a pervert fusion of Imperial Russia and Imperial Germany with a Red Army aesthetic.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

They clarified.

Over the next week, we'll be updating with even more Add Ons. We've got some great stuff coming, including digital map packs (edit: digitally downloadable images of the WARMACHINE: Tactics maps that you can print out and use on the tabletop), Kickstarter Exclusive custom mod kits featuring wild warcaster re-designs that you'll never see anywhere else, and we're even going to throw in some exclusive action for the forthcoming WARMACHINE: HIGH COMMAND deck building game, featuring these new characters created for the video game. So watch for updates and stay tuned for several exciting new offerings!

Snerf

Learned
Pretty excited about this as a general concept. Warmachine tabletop is way better than Warhammer/40k both in aesthetics and in actual gameplay mechanics. Plus, turn-based.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom