Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
lol You guys need to let the AAAs go.

Hollywood makes high budget, dumbed down stuff for the masses and independents make low budget cinema and plays (Shakespeare) for a smaller number of people. The audiences of indie cinema and plays are small, but they are not going anywhere and they support the arts they care about.

The only mistake Fargo is making IMO, is he dreams of returning to AAA. I look to developers like the guy that made Gratuitous Space Battles, as the model of the future. One talented guy working at home, hiring first rate artists (like the BSG guy), on short term contracts.

Why have studios of 20+ people with high burn rates, when you just don't need them? Only 4 people worked on Wasteland 1, so even today, it would be a small indie sized team.

You've got Kickstarter now, so you can support the games you want.

Johannes

Arcane
They also came from a time when most games could get away with being 2D, having complicated interfaces and sharp learning curves. They're excellent games but in a lot of ways, the games industry and expectations for games has moved on. The obsession with ease of use, streamlining/simplification, cinematic cutscenes, Hollywood-style storytelling and moving away from tabletop-style rules means that the current RPG market and its fans are different from what they were 10-15 years ago.
Games aren't the only one suffering from this phenomenon.
We are living in a world where apple solds millions with simplistic design while steve jobs were credited as greatest inventor of millenium.
It's the same crowd that thinks that bethesta and bioware as best studios and obsidian is just a sidekick studio that ride on their talent(FNV).
What? Apple and iShit isn't analogous to Beth or Bio in any meaningful way. Or what would be the FNV/Obsidian/whatever of the phone market then?

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
What? Apple and iShit isn't analogous to Beth or Bio in any meaningful way. Or what would be the FNV/Obsidian/whatever of the phone market then?
Thing is most people still thing that best phone you can buy in the market today is iphone thus the same way people think that fallout 3 is the best rpg evar!!obsidian is android in this case where he always do things better than this predecessor but always thought by public as bethesta imitator.(FNV)
What i mean to say is that general consumer thinks that overall quality is not important as design and ease of use.

Murkwater

Novice
Wasteland 2 and the rpg genre is the dying old man on death bed who is grasping his last breaths.
It's the last chance for us, gamers to play the last true RPG and for Fargo to deliver it and place himself with MCA on pedestal of RPG gaming.
Anyone seriously believes that this silly kickstarter with Fargo and his small rebellion can go up against the imperial overlords at EA-Activision-Zenimax?
Savor all the small moments that will come, because what you see is history in the making.Wasteland 2 will be the last real RPG that anyone of us will play.
After this, you will be telling your grandchildren stories of games that used to have 'choices' and 'consequences' which involved something more than choosing between gay elf sex and dancing with locos.

-Grandpa Codex tell me once again about RPGs and MCA, about the gaming industry, how games were fun and created by gamers for gamers who enjoyed their craft and not by corporations that only have their eyes set on profit and metacritic....

ME3Ending001.jpg

Sadly, I agree

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
Thing is most people still thing that best phone you can buy in the market today is iphone thus the same way people think that fallout 3 is the best rpg evar!!obsidian is android in this case where he always do things better than this predecessor but always thought by public as bethesta imitator.(FNV)
What i mean to say is that general consumer thinks that overall quality is not important as design and ease of use.

I think this behavior is deeply rooted into society by starting with household items that have a decent amount of utility but ultimately are worth little (thank you plastics industry). It has overflowed into other areas of consumerism.

Basically Fallout 3 is a plastic fork. Cheap and ready for easy utilization, but of forgettable value down the road. Fallout 1 is like finding one of your grandmothers pure silver bowls.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Revenge of fuzi0n?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasteland_2

Gameplay

Wasteland 2 will be a turn-based and party-based cRPG with tactical combat and an isometric view. The player's party will feature seven characters,[6] split up into four player characters and three non-player characters, the latter similar in most respects to player characters except that the player will not have 100% control over them.[7] On the official Wasteland 2 forum it was revealed that the characters will be mute and devoid of personalities, and that the player's party will also not have a main character, which will allow the player to "imagine" what his teammates might be saying and doing. This feature was included to improve roleplaying similiar to what can be found in Golden Age cRPGs from the 1980s and in Icewind Dale, and differs strongly from the system that was used in the Fallout series.[8][9]

:hmmm:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OK, saw your post on the Wasteland 2 forums. I've edited out his references to the forums but left a stub "Gameplay" section for more patriotic souls to fill in. He will probably notice my edit eventually and revert it, though...

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Editing it down to what it is now seems to be correct.

Doesn't wikipedia have mechanisms in place to stop vandalism if he keeps trying it?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Editing it down to what it is now seems to be correct.

Doesn't wikipedia have mechanisms in place to stop vandalism if he keeps trying it?

Yes. You'd probably want to contact one of the registered Wikipedia editors who is handling that article (such as "Niemti"), he can probably take care of that.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
if that guy handles 'lies' like that then the matters of bethesda and bioware games pre and post release should have exploded his brain

I'd like to think it was a coincidence that the issue happened to be about party personality, but the guy probably just wants his character-driven narrative p. bad and went ballistic when he realised he assumed wrongly that WL2 was going to go back to BG2 levels of classy emotional engagement, then a switch clicked in his head and it became WL2 lying to him and brother none being kickstarter's chris priestly

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yep, I'm pretty sure they're all the same guy. He's in Germany.

EDIT: Asked Niemti for help.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there a way to report stuff like that to Wikipedia? I mean, it's not like it's a bastion of reliable info to begin with but after my Kickstarter pledge I feel a certain "paternal connection" with Wasteland 2 and get kind of upset by this...

... and once again this guy has changed it back!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Is there a way to report stuff like that to Wikipedia? I mean, it's not like it's a bastion of reliable info to begin with but after my Kickstarter pledge I feel a certain "paternal connection" with Wasteland 2 and get kind of upset by this...

... and once again this guy has changed it back!

I don't really have the patience to deal with Wikipedia politics. I've left a message on the "talk page" of one of the regular Wiki editors who's handling this article. Hopefully he'll take care of this guy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom