Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's an RPG? - the search for clue continues!

Balor

Arcane
Well, talking of Slavs :).
It's 'rabota' in Russian - very close.

voodoo1man

Liturgist
Balor said:
Well, talking of Slavs :).
It's 'rabota' in Russian - very close.

And we're back full circle - the root word of 'rabota', which means work in Russian, is 'rab', which means slave. That's also my excuse for not liking work.

Doppelganger

Novice
Anyway, back on topic. An object lesson in how not to implement followers in an RPG (from Fallout 3 again):

follow39gq.jpg

Doppelganger

Novice
kingcomrade said:
haha that robot has no friends cuz they're dead
So, a true single-player RPG experience, then. Has there ever been such a game? Would this even qualify as an RPG?

(notice the subtle edging back toward the topic)

Doppelganger

Novice
So finally we arrive at an answer to the thread's question: it's not an RPG if you're playing a robot. So, no to KOTOR, then.

But .... roleplaying as a robot in a world without NPCs, hmm. Just imagine the possibilities. :)

badgefutureb8cz.jpg

Section8

Cipher
I think a robot RPG would be fucking hot. Why? Because text-to-speech synthesis and dynamic VO is way more versatile than Patrick Stewart. ;)

Balor

Arcane
I think a robot RPG would be fucking hot. Why? Because text-to-speech synthesis and dynamic VO is way more versatile than Patrick Stewart.
Hey, indeed!
On the other hand, I doubt that modern text-to-speech software can make even robots sound 'lifelike', he-he-he.
On the other hand, I have not tried any for like... 2 years?
Any progress in this area?

Revasser

Scholar
Balor said:
I think a robot RPG would be fucking hot. Why? Because text-to-speech synthesis and dynamic VO is way more versatile than Patrick Stewart.
Hey, indeed!
On the other hand, I doubt that modern text-to-speech software can make even robots sound 'lifelike', he-he-he.
On the other hand, I have not tried any for like... 2 years?
Any progress in this area?

Yes. You now have the choice of having your text read out by a retarded digital redneck as well as the standard retarded digital 13-year old boy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom