Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why a game like Daggerfall can't be made today.

Section8

Cipher
I'm usually not one to take cheap shots, but from the interface gag thread:

but seriously stop being soo prejeduce agenst the xbox jeez not every ones a little kid and its soo annoying when people stereo type xbox gamers as peopel who need an over amount of simplification jeez ps im not really one or another type of gamers i really like all forms from pc to xbox to ps2 but no gamecube NOW that is a system for little kids lol

Way to prove a point, Punctuation Boy.

aboyd

Liturgist
I'm not even sure if that's a "cheap" shot. I think the classification as "entirely deserved shot" should override.

Ugh. I weep for our gaming future if they are the target market.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Have to say that overall, the TES forum (and more relevantly its worst representative, the Oblibon forum) isn't all that bad, given the sheer number who post there, and the inevitable X-Box-Factor. While it's a place where real discussion is often overrun by kiddie speaking little twonks, there are plenty of intelligent posters, and the overall feeling is one of a kind of respect for the games which is more than superficial.

The overwhelming sentiment there is against 'dumbing down', despite that skills poll. By far the majority want TES games to be more difficult and less power-gamer friendly than Morrowind. And those who aren't into the lore are nonetheless most always respectful of it and recognise its value.

If anything the worst part is the zealous moderation, rather than the board content itself.

Twinfalls

Erudite
GhanBuriGhan said:
And nothing (landscapes, towns, dungeons) in DF was created on the fly either, it was all pre-generated and saved in the game files - just like Oblivion.

I didn't know that, I thought the game did the generation on start-up. Interesting fact.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Twinfalls said:
GhanBuriGhan said:
And nothing (landscapes, towns, dungeons) in DF was created on the fly either, it was all pre-generated and saved in the game files - just like Oblivion.

I didn't know that, I thought the game did the generation on start-up. Interesting fact.
I thought so too for a long time, but the "daggerfall hacking crowd" found that out a while ago.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Makes sense when you think about it, no need for more potentially buggy routines at runtime, just get it all done before.

Where's the 'Daggerfall Hacking Crowd' at (in terms of progress)? I've heard of Interkarma's remake - ambitious, but surely a loooong ways off....

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
From that "new interface" thread:

lmao.......You took a screenshot and took it into photoshop for 5 minutes.lol

I am an IGN insider so i saw the Legal Demonstration. I have seen the interface and that is not it.

EDIT: PLEASE LOCK THIS TOPIC!! OMG this guys stupid
FOR THE LAST TIME(and second) THAT IS NOT THE INTERFACE
What an idiot. Sadly he's not alone:

Hehe, sorry to tell you this, but you're wrong. This is FAKE, and I am 100 per cent positive.
May I ask YOU to open YOUR eyes? Really, there is no way the UI would turn out like this. No way.

IT'S FAKE.

Chefe

Erudite
Oh snap! I thought it was real! WTFOMG!

MODS CLOSE TAHT THREAD!!!11

HardCode

Erudite
Those screenshots were great! While not capturing the actual graphic of the real menu system, it sure as hell DID capture the principals it is based on.

Oh, and I think the TES forums should have a basic IQ test before being allowed to post. This way, 95 per cent [sic] of the people who post there wouldn't be allowed. Then, it would be easier to find the intelligent conversation.

Or, just come here.

Revasser

Scholar
HardCode said:
Those screenshots were great! While not capturing the actual graphic of the real menu system, it sure as hell DID capture the principals it is based on.

Oh, and I think the TES forums should have a basic IQ test before being allowed to post. This way, 95 per cent [sic] of the people who post there wouldn't be allowed. Then, it would be easier to find the intelligent conversation.

Or, just come here.

Yes, just come here, where the idiots have big, angry red "DUMBFUCK!!" titles so there's no confusion.

Tintin

Arbiter
No horses inside cities

Because I'm sure in a real city, nobody would mind big horses galloping around the marketplace, turning things over, hitting people, stomping on people's feet, eating market sellers food.

Use your head....

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
If you bring a horse into a city, you're usually not galloping around all over things. You'd ride it a slow trot through wide streets.

What they could do is use those awesome physics that gives so many Bethesda employees massive hardons and make so IF you did ride around the city like a bat out of hell, it'll get the attention of the Guards. Stomp all over some fruits and the seller gets angry and demands you to pay, but it's too late because you're riding off. Of course, that would be a good implentation of physics instead of rattling chains, so needless to say it won't be considered.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Tintin said:
No horses inside cities

Because I'm sure in a real city, nobody would mind big horses galloping around the marketplace, turning things over, hitting people, stomping on people's feet, eating market sellers food.

Use your head....
Are you saying that horses have never been allowed inside cities? That's like saying that cars aren't allowed in populated areas today because they may run over things and hit people. Follow your own advice and use your head.

Chefe

Erudite
Tintin said:

Use your head....

You dumbfuck, that's the point. To do whatever you want. To cause a ruckus if your character wants to and see how the game world reacts.

And, like has been mentioned, horses were allowed in cities in the past. In fact, they were quite common. Fuck, they're still allowed in cities with modern horse-drawn carriages. You do have enough brains to realize that they don't gallop full speed through cities, right? That they walk slowly? Am I being clear? Do I need to hit you in the head with a fucking frying pan to get through? Shit, you just get dumber by the post.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
There are stables outside every walled city where horses are boarded while their owners are in the city. There are a number of settlements that aren't walled in that you can ride your horse through if you really want to. Horses also won't go inside buildings or dungeons; you have to dismount & leave your horse outside while you go into those. But other than that, you can ride your horse anywhere you want to, on roads or off, even through the water.

Vault Dweller

Developer
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
There are stables outside every walled city where horses are boarded while their owners are in the city.
I wonder how many horses are displayed. It would be kinda lame to see 5 horses outside a large city.

But other than that, you can ride your horse anywhere you want to, on roads or off, even through the water.
The famous MW-OB freedom: you can ride on roads, on hills, on plains, around towns (is there a mini racing game? No? There should be!), on snow, on grass, etc. Sounds awesome!

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
There are stables outside every walled city where horses are boarded while their owners are in the city. There are a number of settlements that aren't walled in that you can ride your horse through if you really want to. Horses also won't go inside buildings or dungeons; you have to dismount & leave your horse outside while you go into those. But other than that, you can ride your horse anywhere you want to, on roads or off, even through the water.
Thanks for the reply.
Do you think a mod can allow riding the horse inside walled cities?

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Pr()ZaC said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Thanks for the reply.
Do you think a mod can allow riding the horse inside walled cities?

Possibly.

Chefe

Erudite
Was there any logical reasoning behind not letting you ride them in cities?

Disrupts the "radiant" AI?

Micmu

Magister
Chefe said:
Was there any logical reasoning behind not letting you ride them in towns?
I think they've said cities are interior cells now (like that lame Tribunal expanison for MW). You can't beam through entry gates while riding.
IMO, it would be better if you could enter the city and then the guards will warn you for breaking the regulations. But hey...

Deathbane27

Novice
Chefe said:
Was there any logical reasoning behind not letting you ride them in cities?

The walled cities are seperate cells from the main exterior. If you want to think of it in Everquest/DAoC terms... horses can't zone.

I think. :p

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Mostly because if they could go through load doors, they could go into spaces that were too small for them to fit (like houses). The gates to the walled cities are load doors.

We could have the cities be open like most of them were in Morrowind, and there are settlements that have no walls -- but this way we're not loading up an entire city's worth of art, NPCs and activity if you're just passing by. We just load up simplified versions of the architecture inside so that you can see the buildings if you're on a mountain overlooking a city.

bryce777

Erudite
It seems like a rather piccayune complaint, really.

Who really cares? Apparently and bafflingly lots of people seem to. I would worry more about gameplay...this is as silly as being pissed becuase you can't wear fedora hats in the game....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom