Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why does the Codex masturbate over Obsidian so much?

racofer

Thread Incliner
FeelTheRads said:
Crichton said:
http://www.amazon.com/Neverwinter-N..._4?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1275511893&sr=8-4

NWN2, US$8 including shipping, oh the humanity! What kind of tyrant adds eight whole dollars to the price of a game?

OH LOOK I FOUND THIS SALE WHICH MEANS THIS IS HOW IT COSTS ALL THE TIME FOR EVERYBODY AND THIS WAS THE PRICE RIGHT FROM THE START

AND A DOLLAR IS A DOLLAR WORLDWIDE THERES NO SUCH THING AS CURRENCY CONVERSION NOR SHIPPING NO EXCUSE NOT TO BUY IT

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Obsidian is the ultimate carrot-before-the-horse developer. Their promises are always enticing, their greatness is always just out of reach however.

The potential that their games possess is undeniable, yet they must always rely on their ever-loyal fanbase to clean up their messes.

Still, I'm ever thankful for their D&D efforts. I guess it's the same loathing/fondness a crackhead has for his dealer.

racofer said:
FeelTheRads said:
Crichton said:
http://www.amazon.com/Neverwinter-N..._4?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1275511893&sr=8-4

NWN2, US$8 including shipping, oh the humanity! What kind of tyrant adds eight whole dollars to the price of a game?

OH LOOK I FOUND THIS SALE WHICH MEANS THIS IS HOW IT COSTS ALL THE TIME FOR EVERYBODY AND THIS WAS THE PRICE RIGHT FROM THE START

AND A DOLLAR IS A DOLLAR WORLDWIDE THERES NO SUCH THING AS CURRENCY CONVERSION NOR SHIPPING NO EXCUSE NOT TO BUY IT

You two are such retards. Obviously it was an humorous commentary on how fucked up and unrealistic economy is, even on our most beloved rpgs, where an item will cost the same value all over the world.

1eyedking

Erudite
Ruprekt said:
NWN is superior to NWN2 until you get a new pc and apply the final patch.
hahaha-no.jpg

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"soz was of motb's level, actually.
it wasn't the same genre as motb, but pretty much on the same quality level."

Fuckin' bullshit. So much fuckin' bullshit. OMG! That's beyond so much fuckin' bullshit. WTF Are you smokin? FFS

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Volourn said:
soz was a pretty oldschool rpg which also added all the nice little more recent innovations like stat, skill, class, and alignment checks and a lot of opportunities to use them throughout the game and both inside and outside of dialogues. it had neat little encounters which allowed you to do multiple stuff, the mercantile game wasn't anything special, but the fact that they actually implemented one and it was tied to the story was nice, and there was some c&c to it, like that swamp town (starting town from first game?) on the sword coast, the dungeons were nice and tidy and actually made sense, instead of every little cave turning into labyrinthine systems of passages or ancient ruins for no apparent reason, and there were neat little ending slides with the different consequences of your actions, and the encounters and combat was nice, which is made all the more astounding considering what we know about the resources obsidian devoted or rather didn't devote to it.
for an oldschool rpg with the feel of pnp it was extremely well executed, just like motb was extremely well executed for a ps:t-like story-driven rpg.

motb would have been better than soz quality-wise if they hadn't fucked up some of the details like epic barrel loot, conversation contradictions if you did some stuff in a strange order, and a few missing options that would have made sense.

just because you don't like the sub-genre or possibly were disappointed because you expected more motb-like stuff does not mean the execution or quality is bad.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
calling SoZ old school.

oh god now he's gonna go into full retard mode and dredge on and on about why it's not actually old school at all for a couple of days. everybody, take cover.

for what it's worth though, I agree with you.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"soz was a pretty oldschool rpg"

No.

"just because you don't like the sub-genre or possibly were disappointed because you expected more motb-like stuff does not mean the execution or quality is bad."

Bullshit.

I love old skool RPGs. I grew up on them. I love the Gold Box series. The M&Ms. The Wizardrys. Etc., etc.

The problem with SOZ is that it's a crappy 'old skooll game'. Those games above were GOOD old skool games.

SOZ had horrible writing, story, combat, exploration, characters, loot, and so on.

The idea behind SOZ was s olid, and I was sexcited for it because it was striving to be an 'old skool rpg'. Problem is, it fuckin' failed in its mission.

It was SOZZY. PLain, and simple.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Volourn said:
I love old skool RPGs. I grew up on them. I love the Gold Box series. The M&Ms. The Wizardrys. Etc., etc.
right. it's quite telling that the only games that come to your mind are dungeon crawlers and there isn't a single one in the same category as soz.

yaster

Liturgist
SuicideBunny said:
Volourn said:
right. it's quite telling that the only games that come to your mind are dungeon crawlers and there isn't a single one in the same category as soz.

Isn't SoZ homage to Darklands. And that is like the only game of that particular type?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"right. it's quite telling that the only games that come to your mind are dungeon crawlers and there isn't a single one in the same category as soz."

You can name any good old skool RPg you want as SOZ will fail to live up to all of them including Darklands.

SOZ is such a shitty game, it is of such poor quality, it makes me want to go play every ES series game back to back just to get the horrible memory of the SOZZY experience out of my mind and I FUCKIN' LOATHE THE ES SERIES.

FFS

crufty

Arcane
q: why does codex like obsidian?
a: they try

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom