Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will PoE be shit?

Will PoE be shit?

• Total voters

GloomFrost

Arcane
So are you guise getting upset because Obsidian is delivering what people paid them $4 million to deliver? :cool:
Hah! The bestiary was the one thing they could fuck around with as much as possible, honestly. Who would have cared? If anything, it would have been positive.

Do you have any evidence to support that claim??? Or simply because YOU dont like the bestiary means that everyone else should dislike it??

Damn!! I dont understand this thread!! When the first screenshots came out everyone was like OMG OMG OMG it looks just like the IE classics, shut up and take my money, can not wait!!!! And then suddenly OMG it looks just like IE classics, gonna be shit.

Some have problems with the mechanics and feels of the combat. This became apparent when beta was released and people tried it.

It is still work in progress! Also like 95% of RPGs come out very unbalanced at the beginning. Few patches will fix everything.

Or some are just bored and like to bitch about "minor" stuff.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think that is the REAL reason lol.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Regardless of how much :balance: it receives it's never going to play like an IE game, and that's entirely intentional. If it wasn't, they would have cut a deal with WotC or Paizo.

GloomFrost

Arcane
It will play like an isometric party-based RPG. What more do people want?
Also Planescape is played hell of a lot different then lets say Icewind Dale.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think :balance:'s goal is to improve on the IE games' implementation of D&D with his own system, i.e. he has never attempted to mirror the IE games 1:1, and anyone who thinks that has misunderstood. So far, he is not succeding imo, but as I've said, there seems to be a long way to go until they finish tweaking. So, it's WIP, albeit WIP which is one month from release.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I think :balance:'s goal is to improve on the IE games' implementation of D&D with his own system, i.e. he has never attempted to mirror the IE games 1:1, and anyone who thinks that has misunderstood. So far, he is not succeding imo, but as I've said, there seems to be a long way to go until they finish tweaking. So, it's WIP, albeit WIP which is one month from release.

Something like this. PoE 1 is the sacrificial lamb for the greater good. There won't be much time for patching PoE because of the first expansion lurking behind the corner, and then PoE 2. But I'm still not sure if he can turn his systems around to be actually fun.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Something like this. PoE 1 is the sacrificial lamb for the greater good. There won't be much time for patching PoE because of the first expansion lurking behind the corner, and then PoE 2. But I'm still not sure if he can turn his systems around to be actually fun.
We've repeated these arguments a few times already, but what's the end verdict - should we hate on it on release or not? :neveraskedforthis:

bloodlover

Arcane
The question is what they're going to add to the spells list in the upcoming expansion and later in PoE2.

Well assuming the expansion and PoE 2 will give an increase in level, I'd say wizards will have more pew pew spells and less utility spells. At the end of the day, people want a wizard to nuke the shit out of the enemy instead of using spells to conjure stuff or identify items.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Damn!! I dont understand this thread!! When the first screenshots came out everyone was like OMG OMG OMG it looks just like the IE classics, shut up and take my money, can not wait!!!! And then suddenly OMG it looks just like IE classics, gonna be shit.
Pics, or it didn't happen. Seriously, go back, check who was in the "OMG OMG OMG it looks just like the IE classics, shut up and take my money"-camp and who is in the "OMG it looks just like IE classics, gonna be shit"-camp.
I'd be surprized if you find anyone who actually switched sides. If you do, then tag them and they can explain themselves (and they probably can).

Lots of confusion will be cleared as soon as people stop treating communities as hiveminds. Especially the codex.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Well assuming the expansion and PoE 2 will give an increase in level, I'd say wizards will have more pew pew spells and less utility spells. At the end of the day, people want a wizard to nuke the shit out of the enemy instead of using spells to conjure stuff or identify items.
That's what I'm afraid of. Repetitive "DPS race" fights are boring by their very nature and they certainly don't get better at higher levels.

bloodlover

Arcane
That's what I'm afraid of. Repetitive "DPS race" fights are boring by their very nature and they certainly don't get better at higher levels.

Well yeah but I think the game will have enough encounters and enemies to not make the fights a dps race. It's not an MMO after all. I am more worried about the game having too many thrash mobs and encounters. If that's the case, you'd actually want to have a dps race in order to pass faster through the fight.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Well yeah but I think the game will have enough encounters and enemies to not make the fights a dps race. It's not an MMO after all. I am more worried about the game having too many thrash mobs and encounters. If that's the case, you'd actually want to have a dps race in order to pass faster through the fight.
From what I've seen in the streams, encounters are only hand-made, there are no enemies spawning around. There is no enemy respawning either, so I don't expect dull thrash mob fights.

Alex

Arcane
How many attributes must affect a class ability
Before you can call it balanced?
How many skill points must a class gain on level up
Before she is a jack of all trades?
Yes, how much HP should the fireballs take
Before they're forever nerfed?
The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.

Yes, how many years can a stone arc exist
Before it's crashed into the ground?
Yes, how many orcs need to be killed
Before you're allowed to level up?
Yes, how many items can a man put in his bag
Pretending it's just going to fit?

Yes, how many seconds must a wizard cool down
Before he can cast another spell?
Yes, how many ears must one man have
Before he can hear grognards cry?
Yes, how many pages will it take till he knows
That too many butts have hurt?

GloomFrost

Arcane
Pics, or it didn't happen. Seriously, go back, check who was in the "OMG OMG OMG it looks just like the IE classics, shut up and take my money"-camp and who is in the "OMG it looks just like IE classics, gonna be shit"-.
Pics, or it didn't happen.
What "pics" do you want?? Are you saying that the first POE screenshots didn't look exactly like IE games?? Are you saying that there was no " omg it's just like balders gate" hype?? Apparently people only started complaining when they saw unfinished, unbalanced, raw, work in progress gameplay and for some dumb reason fought that it is a final product.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Pics, or it didn't happen. Seriously, go back, check who was in the "OMG OMG OMG it looks just like the IE classics, shut up and take my money"-camp and who is in the "OMG it looks just like IE classics, gonna be shit"-.
What "pics" do you want?? Are you saying that the first POE screenshots didn't look exactly like IE games?? Are you saying that there was no " omg it's just like balders gate" hype?? Apparently people only started complaining when they saw unfinished, unbalanced, raw, work in progress gameplay and for some dumb reason fought that it is a final product.
I'm saying you should back up your claims ;)
I know it's hard, but please don't get side-tracked and stick to one point at a time.
Point out where the same person was hyped because it looks like IE and now hates it because it looks like IE. (Because that is what your point boiled down to. I'll give you some leeway here, since you were using hyphons and hyperbole. But please adress the general point.)

Then we can go on to your new claim. People first being completely hyped because it looked just like IE and then complaining because it (the beta) has issues. For this one you might even find examples. But then, criticism and bitching is what a beta is for. I fail to see the significance of this point. And being disillusioned by actual experience with the product even after first being hyped also seems like perfectly valid behaviour. So...

PS: Am I so old that "pics or it didn't happen" is not a generally known meme anymore? :negative:

GloomFrost

Arcane
I'm saying you should back up your claims ;)
I know it's hard, but please don't get side-tracked and stick to one point at a time.
Point out where the same person was hyped because it looks like IE and now hates it because it looks like IE. (Because that is what your point boiled down to. I'll give you some leeway here, since you were using hyphons and hyperbole. But please adress the general point.)

Then we can go on to your new claim. People first being completely hyped because it looked just like IE and then complaining because it (the beta) has issues. For this one you might even find examples. But then, criticism and bitching is what a beta is for. I fail to see the significance of this point. And being disillusioned by actual experience with the product even after first being hyped also seems like perfectly valid behaviour. So...

PS: Am I so old that "pics or it didn't happen" is not a generally known meme anymore? :negative:

You have defeated me, you win. :negative: :( I can not show you the "pics" you want so desperately to see. But at the same time I was only talking about the general mood in this thread, I didnt mean anyone in particular. And in my original post I also said that I do not understand this thread. I do not understand all the negative posts towards the game that hasnt been released yet, for the game that is being developed by GODS of rpg making, for the game that will be as close to IE classics as humanly possible.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Hmm, would it help if I told you:
That there are quite a few atheists on the codex.
That IE games are not considered the epitome of RPGs by many on the codex.
That most codex members are not shy in voicing their opinions/criticisms, especially concerning community backed games. In fact many devs and consumers see this kind of feedback as an advantage of kickstarted games. The majority of criticism has the goal of improving the game(s).

If you look at the poll, while the majority expect a good game, a significant chunk do not or are very sceptical. Only a (large) minority expect a great game, as you seem to do. If you go back in the various PE-mega-threads (and this one) you'll read many explanations why that is so. Overall I'd say the codex receives PE very well. I can't think of a single non-TB game that got this much (positive) attention. Just compare it to Sword Coast Legends to see how we normally treat RTwP games that "have not been released" yet... *shrug*

Trodat

Arcane
Patron

We've repeated these arguments a few times already, but what's the end verdict - should we hate on it on release or not? :neveraskedforthis:

Hate and love are not mutually exclusive. :martini:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Hmm, would it help if I told you:
That there are quite a few atheists on the codex.
That IE games are not considered the epitome of RPGs by many on the codex.
That most codex members are not shy in voicing their opinions/criticisms, especially concerning community backed games. In fact many devs and consumers see this kind of feedback as an advantage of kickstarted games. The majority of criticism has the goal of improving the game(s).

If you look at the poll, while the majority expect a good game, a significant chunk do not or are very sceptical. Only a (large) minority expect a great game, as you seem to do. If you go back in the various PE-mega-threads (and this one) you'll read many explanations why that is so. Overall I'd say the codex receives PE very well. I can't think of a single non-TB game that got this much (positive) attention. Just compare it to Sword Coast Legends to see how we normally treat RTwP games that "have not been released" yet... *shrug*

I'm not entirly following what being an atheist has to do with this?

Or is this somehow meant in a gaming sense (Lord MCA)

Shannow

Waster of Time
I do not understand all the negative posts towards the game that hasnt been released yet, for the game that is being developed by GODS of rpg making, for the game that will be as close to IE classics as humanly possible.

So concerning your question, Dura: Yes ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom