Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Windows NT 3.51 Gaming

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Yesterday, I was in the mood for some oldschool gaming on oldschool OSs. I was thinking to myself: "Should I use DOS? No, too common. Windows 95? Not hardcore enough. Windows 3.1? Nah, I need to take it further."

02F9Yjh.png

And thus I decided on Windows NT 3.51. After fiddling with settings for a while, I've got the system running with SoundBlaster16 audio and a 32-bit color 1152x864 display. Unfortunately, there weren't many games developed for this platform (and the probable sub-5 total of them were of course all published by Microsoft), but that's not gonna stop me from having some retro fun.

qmZ6FfI.png

First stop: Minesweeper. Almost won this game! Exciting stuff.

owAfKte.png

Next: Solitaire. I still have no idea what to do in this game, but it sure is nostalgic.

zpQlTpP.png

Now we're moving on to Microsoft Golf. By this point my adrenaline is really pumping, guys. It really makes you hold your breath when you wait to see where the ball ends up.

Fau9Tlj.png

Last stop: Edutainment game The Magic School Bus Explores the Rainforest. I'm pretty sure this is the only 'proper' game with native support for NT 3.51.

dcdBDyv.png
HRJizJe.png

Look, character creation, just like in RPGs.

Anyways, this all sure was fun, wasn't it? Thank you for joining me in this adventure.

Last edited:
Yet someone was able to run Unreal/UT on it (I was doing similar research recently and even planned to start similar thread):

The key is to try OpenGL games, NT had limited DirectX support.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Yet someone was able to run Unreal/UT on it
I've restricted the games to the ones that officially support NT 3.51. I've heard WinQuake can run on it too with some settings tweaking, maybe I'll give these games a try tomorrow.

The key is to try OpenGL games, NT had limited DirectX support.
NT 4.0 was the one with DirectX support actually, 3.51 has none at all. It also only shipped with the basic 1.0 version of OpenGL.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom