Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your favorite Roguelike?

For some reason I have a hankering for a Roguelike. Anyone mind mentioning their favorite(s)?

Preferably those that have graphical (non-ASCII) modes. I forgot to mention this earlier.

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
Although they've been mentioned, Ivan and Gearhead are two of my favorites.

The other is, "The Unreal World', a graphical rougue-like where you're some dude in old-time finland trying to survive in the wilderness. It's actually really cool. You can learn to hunt, skin, tan hides, make clothing, building a house, or live in a village, cut trees, fish, lay traps, be a cannibal, live anywhere you want in the large world, damage is realistic (though, in some cases, way too fucking harsh), you can treat wounds (even tear your clothing to make bandages), cook, start fires, make your own weapons (even carve simple weapons with wood from trees and branches you cut down) etc.

Just alot of shit to do, and it impliments pretty much everything amazingly. Definately give it a try. It is shareware though, and I'm not sure how much it is, but I'd say it's worth it. In the demo you can live as a character for ten game days, if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html

Balor

Arcane
ADOM, of course, and Gearhead.
And Dungeon Crawl.
And maybe I'm being spartan, but I actually actively dislike NON-ASCIII roguelikes.
It stifles emagination.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Balor said:
And maybe I'm being spartan, but I actually actively dislike NON-ASCIII roguelikes.
Depends on the game; but I must admit I prefer ASCII Gearhead to the SDL version.
Fate is damn good example of a graphical rogue-like, however.

Human Shield

Augur
Why is there no horror Roguelike? I want a well done zombie survival roguelike.

I'm gonna check out the Unreal World, looks awesome.

obediah

Erudite
Since I do most of my gaming on my laptop now, I wonder if I can get a USB numberpad, it's a real bummer to not be able to lose those keys in some of these games.

obediah said:
Since I do most of my gaming on my laptop now, I wonder if I can get a USB numberpad, it's a real bummer to not be able to lose those keys in some of these games.
Yeah, those are cheap. Or for a little more you could get a Nostromo N52 Speedpad like I have -- a very nice, fully configurable, comfortably ergonomic controller. It's designed for FPS games, but works great as anything (including a number pad) thanks to its full configurability.

Oh yeah, I've downloaded IVAN (cool but limited), Nethack (more vanilla than I remembered), Gearhead SDL (looks cool, haven't dug in yet), and Helherron (not really a Roguelike but damn, that's some good combat). I need to get ADOM at some point, I remember that being cool.

almondblight

Arcane
For some reason the only rogue-like I can seem to get into is Angband, though I haven't played that many. But in the off chance that you are like me you might want to give it a try.

I remember a Roguelike that had... weird graphics. They were big tiles, like 32x32 or something, and had a slightly munchkin/anime style to them. I remember my character who I think was a caster of some sort looked like a short fellow in full black or purple robes with big menacing red eyes glowing out from the shadows of the robe (gg cliches).

Anyone know what that might have been? IIRC, you started in a town with a small amount of money and there are shops everywhere -- that alone seperated it from many Roguelikes I've played.

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
How do you get the tile/graphics (?) to work in Steamband? I go to "options" then "graphics" and the other two besides "none" are grey and unable to be chosen. Is there an extra file I need to download?

thanks

Mulciber

Novice
undead dolphin hacker: You're probably thinking of Lost Labyrinth.

I've recently been enjoying T.o.M.E (Troubles of Middle Earth). Vampric, Balrog-winged, demonologist Trolls rule.

chaedwards

Liturgist
NeutralMilkHotel said:
How do you get the tile/graphics (?) to work in Steamband? I go to "options" then "graphics" and the other two besides "none" are grey and unable to be chosen. Is there an extra file I need to download?

thanks

Erm... I don't. Just play it nice and ascii style

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom