Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

It is time - New RPG Codex Holy Trinity™ your fav top 5

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Top 5:

Fallout, Arcanum, Ultima Underworld, Star Trail (Realms of Arkania 2), Darklands.

Another 5 to make it top 10:

Daggerfall, Prelude to Darkness, Torment, Mask of the Betrayer, Ultima 7.

Runners up: Gothic 2 with the expansion, Bloodlines, and Betrayal at Krondor.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I'll post here as soon as I've fed the kids.

This will actually take a bit of thinking, because I've played fuck all rpgs in recent times. Well, fuck all anything, other than Stalker CoP.

What I do know is that there is nothing at all recent that would make it into my top 5, or even 10. And the only ones I've really enjoyed at all have been essentially clones of old games (e.g. Dark Spire, which isn't even a PC game).

Edit: I've even bought all of Bioware and Obsidian's more recent stuff (except ME2) like a good little drone, and thought that they were all shit. Hated The Witcher. I guess I'm jaded with the genre, but then again I'll fire up something old and crusty and enjoy it immensely.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Please do Shagnak. There is a reason I am only doing top 5, I'll explain later.

Again if you have not listed your top 5 yet, please do!

Shagnak

Shagadelic
This is probably a little different from when we last did this.

Ultima V
Ultima IV (Couldn't decide between Ultima IV and V so I chose both)
Fallout
Wizardry 8
Wizards and Warriors (a SGLF game if there ever was one, greater than the sum of its stinky little parts)

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
My top 5:

Fallout 2 (played it before 1, and I've always preferred it)
Planescape: Torment (visually and aurally the most attractive RPG I've ever played. Great atmosphere, and adventure game inspired gameplay too.)
Deus Ex (yeah, yeah it's RPG-enough)
NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer (which I desperately need to replay)
Chrono Trigger (JRPG but it's got as much C&C as your average Bioware game, and is just so much damn fun that it's still one of my favorite games after all these years)

Hazelnut

Erudite
Shagnak said:
Well, fuck all anything, other than Stalker CoP.

Glad it's not just me... god I fucking love the stalker games. I'd pay a lot for another one! Enjoyed some mods as well.

Seeing PS:T on a lot of lists - I played it partially though years ago and stopped. Recently (ran out of Stalker) tried again and got as far as finding some chief corpse gatherer in some hidden underground city - and being sent into crypt (?) MY GOD HOW CAN I JUST AVOID THE CRAPPY COMBAT? I do want to try and play this though to see what I'm missing, but I hate the combat. Its why I stopped last time as well.

:M <-hehe when did that arrive?

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Hazelnut said:
Shagnak said:
Well, fuck all anything, other than Stalker CoP.

Glad it's not just me... god I fucking love the stalker games. I'd pay a lot for another one! Enjoyed some mods as well.

Seeing PS:T on a lot of lists - I played it partially though years ago and stopped. Recently (ran out of Stalker) tried again and got as far as finding some chief corpse gatherer in some hidden underground city - and being sent into crypt (?) MY GOD HOW CAN I JUST AVOID THE CRAPPY COMBAT? I do want to try and play this though to see what I'm missing, but I hate the combat. Its why I stopped last time as well.

:M <-hehe when did that arrive?

The combat sections are so short that they account for a very, very small amount of the overall gameplay time. The catacombs take maybe a half-hour to get through, not counting the Dead Nations which are basically a town.

Lothers

Scholar
Fallout
Fallout 2
Torment
Gothic
Morrowind

I'd put Deus EX, System Shock 2 and Anachronox - but rather to my list of favourite games, not list of favourite rpgs...

Zomg

Arbiter
ScottishMartialArts said:
The combat sections are so short that they account for a very, very small amount of the overall gameplay time. The catacombs take maybe a half-hour to get through, not counting the Dead Nations which are basically a town.

No discussion in the thead faggot

also that is a huge lie there is fucktons of horrible combat in and after the garden. If you can't take the just old fashioned intermittent shitty D&D combat from early on you can't hack the true shithammer last third of the game, do not even try you will only hurt yourself friend.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Vault Dweller said:
Jaesun said:
You have until July 4th (or until this thread dies) to play Fallout (the first one) and update your vote. ;)

:lol:

EDIT:

I will have the results tomorrow for the SHOCKING REVELATION! (And I am waiting on a few PM replies for people to clarify their vote).

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
1. Torment
2. Deus Ex
3. System Shock 2
4. Ultima VII
5. Geneforge 1

Fuck Arcanum, never liked it. Even Fallout didn't make it on the list. A shock isn't it. Oh well

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Arcanum, Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Mask of the Betrayer and …

I don't know which one should get the fifth place. Maybe Daggerfall or Gothic 2, even if I do not like it much. And then I got so many more games to play …

Yeah, it's the 5th, I know.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Gragt said:
Arcanum, Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Mask of the Betrayer and …

I don't know which one should get the fifth place. Maybe Daggerfall or Gothic 2, even if I do not like it much. And then I got so many more games to play …

Yeah, it's the 5th, I know.

It's still the 4th here in the USA (West Coast).

mister_matt

Educated
Baldur's Gate 2
Planescape: Torment
TES: Morrowind

..and, well, I don't really know. I'm trying hard not to list whatever infinity engine games that I've played. I haven't played very many games compared to most of you guys, so I'll stick with these three that I know pretty well.

Tex

Novice
Dwarf Fortress
Fallout
Arcanum
JA2
Darklands

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom