Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So what's the consensus on Alpha Protocol?

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's a good game, I enjoyed it a lot.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Grunker said:
I said that if two mini-games which takeup approximately 5-10% of your total time spent gaming can ruin a whole game for you, you have a serious case of attention disorder.

Why, thank you! Another question: there are some folks who think that some C&C dialogues/cutscenes which take maybe 5-10% of the whole time you have to spend in the game can salvage the whole package and turn a gigantic gameplay turd into a gem. What kind of disorder do they have?

The same one, I suspect. I don't really see what that has to do with our civil discussion though.

Hope I didn't hurt your feelings, didn't mean to, but I think you're a little out there if you really think two mini-games ruins the entire experience.

SoupNazi

I played it twice, the second time I cheated myself an infinite amount of money and got like 16 EMP charges for every mission so I could bypass all the minigames.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Note how people who say that it's a good game never write what's so good about it

And people who say it's a bad game can easily provide tons of arguments why.

I think this answers the OP question better than anything else.

cogar48

Educated
MetalCraze said:
Note how people who say that it's a good game never write what's so good about it

Yes, such grand arguments like : "FUCKING POPAMOLE BULLSHIT CORRIDOR SHOOTER MINIGAMES BUZZWORD X HORRIBLE TERRIBLE BUGGY SHIT HNFUHEIUHEUEHEGHEW"

Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Corridor shooter is a valid complaint. Since it was supposed to be an RPG and all.

True to an extent.

MetalCraze

Arcane
@cogar:
Actually normal arguments and this thread has enough of them.

I understand that you are pretty dumb and can't come up with any way to defend Obsidian and AP but crying, but still try harder. Even in the moron plantation that is GRP/GD/ now it's worth a try.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Stay absolutely still, Cogar. It can't see you if you aren't posting.

jurassic_park_tyranosaurus_rex.jpg

cogar48

Educated
MetalCraze said:
@cogar:
Actually normal arguments and this thread has enough of them.

I understand that you are pretty dumb and can't come up with any way to defend Obsidian and AP but crying, but still try harder. Even in the moron plantation that is GRP/GD/ now it's worth a try.

i72zwgjpgm.gif

SoupNazi

Or maybe the people liking it aren't insecure enough to feel the need to justify it. :smug:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Hey guys, I'm fresh out of college and with my meager rhetoric skills that empower my glorious newly-found self-confidence in lieu of my continuous self-hate generated by a teenagehood of alienation and ignorance, I shall take my rightful place as a true elite intellectual that is necessarily frustrated by the supitity of mass culture, and I will do this by refuting flawlessly you on the subject of video games, thus enabling a true objectification of your identity as "stupid" as I identify, I, myself, me, moi, as indubitably enlightened.

Fucking christ I'm so tired of this shit.

Anyway, AP isn't very good, I liked it "in theory" but not in practice. Yeah I'm that much of an abstract poser faggot, I like games "in theory" (like Fallout), but sometimes not in practice, following the execution - AP's problem to me was the setting (no interest) and general story and pacing (placeholders and generally not very engaging and too simple).

Malachi

Liturgist
To the OP: I was on the fence about buying AP myself, given the mixed quality of the early reviews, so I decided to wait for the Codex verdict as well. As you have seen, though, there was no real consensus. Quite a few people disliked it (often citing the game play), some loved it (mostly for the story), and many people gave it a mixed review based on some combination of these factors.

My ultimate decision was that I would wait for a sale on Steam before trying it myself, as it does not seem like it would be worth paying full retail and I try to avoid piracy.

Just my 2 cents.

Silellak

Cipher
Serious_Business said:
Anyway, AP isn't very good, I liked it "in theory" but not in practice. Yeah I'm that much of an abstract poser faggot, I like games "in theory" (like Fallout), but sometimes not in practice, following the execution - AP's problem to me was the setting (no interest) and general story and pacing (placeholders and generally not very engaging and too simple).

Malachi said:
To the OP: I was on the fence about buying AP myself, given the mixed quality of the early reviews, so I decided to wait for the Codex verdict as well. As you have seen, though, there was no real consensus. Quite a few people disliked it (often citing the game play), some loved it (mostly for the story), and many people gave it a mixed review based on some combination of these factors.

My ultimate decision was that I would wait for a sale on Steam before trying it myself, as it does not seem like it would be worth paying full retail and I try to avoid piracy.

Just my 2 cents.
:what:

Whoa whoa whoa. These opinions are way too reasonable for the Codex. Please come back with something far more extreme - and preferably poorly worded - and try again.

Malachi

Liturgist
Silellak said:
Malachi said:

Just my 2 cents.

Whoa whoa whoa. These opinions are way too reasonable for the Codex. Please come back with something far more extreme - and preferably poorly worded - and try again.

I apologize. Something more Codexian, then?

:x

BLARGH!!!! BLARGH!!!!! FUCKING BANAL SHIT BORING POPAMOLE RAGE SPITTLE!!!
TITTYFUCKING WHORE CUNTMASTER VOLOURNITE ROOFLES!!!!
ALPHAFUCK POPAMOLE SHOULD DIE DIE DIE!!!!!!!!

:x

Ahem. :)

MetalCraze said:

Clearly, they're deluding themselves into thinking they liked it

I swear, people thinking they're having fun when they really aren't pisses me off. If only they were humble enough to ask me, I could easily provide them with proof that they did not, in fact, enjoy it.

humorguy

Novice
Just another 'roleplaying' game that is not a roleplaying game because it was aimed at the consoles, just like Jade Empire, which didn't have stats to speak of and was called an RPG, and Mass Effect, which was action based with stats in the weapons and armours, just like FPS games, and Dragon Age, which was the very first RPG on PC that had a linear rather than sandbox world, via enforced fast travel.

As RPG's get 'consolefied' so the genre is disappearing from those publishers that have gone 'multiformat'. Thank god for indie and European PC publishers then, with their Space Ranger's, and Witcher's and Gothic's!

I mean, I can give a long diatribe about why it sucks, but I've done that before and honestly, if you play it and its suckiness isn't self evident, then it's probably because you can't see because you're too busy blowing a guy lolol.

Anyway, yeah. Pirate the thing, and if you think it's worth a purchase, buy it. Try before you buy, though.

MetalCraze said:

This is pretty funny unintentionally

i haven't played AP and it looks like shit, just making fun of an argument here

Dark Matter

Prophet
Alpha Protocol's gameplay is by far the most fun out of all Obsidian games. It also has the most C&C.

Achilles

Arcane
MetalCraze said:

Well I can say why I liked it: I had fun playing it and it held my interest long enough to warrant a second playthrough. Many of the game's elements may not hold very well when put under scrutiny separately, but as a whole I felt that AP was more than the sum of it's parts.

Seolas

Liturgist
I also found it pretty fun. The action side wasn't overly impressive but I've seen worse (Fallout 3 and Oblivion for example). I did enjoy the storyline, settings, and C&C though. Did not like having at times what felt like 3 seconds to choose a dialogue response though. I am biased towards the spy genre and have always wanted an espionage type RPG. I loved the safehouses and email system, the ambience between missions of having your own place to look around (with trophies based on your achievements and C&C), and being able to read emails ala Deus Ex and Bloodlines that fleshed it out. This wasn't perfect by any means and I'll probably get crucified for wanting a sequel (as impossible as it seems to be given poor sales) but I think they were on to something here and the foundations of a great game were there even if it wasn't close to the spiritual Deus Ex successor I hoped for.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Dark Matter said:
It also has the most C&C.
Mask of the Betrayer had fewer, more meaningful consequences and I'll take quality over quantity any time. Compare sparing/eating Okku with sparing/killing Shaheed and the latter is a complete joke.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
AP was fun and I liked it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom