Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quality StarCraft 2 replay commentary chnls you'd recommend?

Got kind of addicted to watching those, despite passionately hating SC2 and new Blizzard itself.

So far, the broadcasts I've liked enough to follow are:
Husky - personal favourite. Easygoing fun.
HD - does well, but is overly 'professional' about commentating a video game, I think.

Any similar channels I'm missing out on?

There are a few runner-ups, like...:
AskJoshy - okay, but more of a fix on a slow day than something I follow.
Artosis - again, okay, but eh.
...but that's just not in the same league.

chzr

Erudite
best are probably hd & husky together.

totalbiscuit does occasionally good commentaries with british flavour, although he mainly streams other games (wow)

and then there's day9 daily show that does mostly in-depth analysis but it's fun to watch even if you don't play SC.

ChristofferC

Magister
Well, there is gomtv.net who do live streaming of the GSL pre-season with english commentators, but that service might not be free for much longer.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
!! BLIZZCON 2010 !!
http://blizzcon.rayv.com/
Tonight and tomorrow.
Boxer vs Fruitdealer show match tonight.

TEAM LIQUID LIVE STREAMS
http://www.teamliquid.net/video/userstream.php
RECOMMENDED STREAMS:
Day9 daily
Trump (american Terran player)
CellaWerra (hilarious korean zerg player)
Any re-streams of GSL (GSL open 2)

RECOMMENDED GSL RE-STREAM (HQ):
http://www.justin.tv/imoogle
WARNING WARNING WARNING This guy streams anime when not streaming GSL so BE AWARE.
REPLAYS HERE: http://jtv-imoogle.proboards.com/index. ... thread=110

GOOD VODS ON YOUTUBE AND SHIT:
Artosis http://www.youtube.com/user/ArtosisTV
Has a couple of good HD games as well as some interesting behind the scenes footage of GSL!
PsyStarcraft http://www.youtube.com/user/PsyStarcraft
Pretty funny guy who plays a decent Zerg. Also has some good tips n' trix videos for new players.
Day[9] daily archive http://day9tv.blip.tv/posts?view=archive&nsfw=dc
One of the most knowledgeable casters out there. Talks a lot though.

Husky is good as well I guess.

HD and TotalBiscuit/Halibut aren't very good at the game but they might have casted some fun games, I don't know.

attackfighter

Magister
The SC2 streamers and commentators really suck (I'm not just saying that 'cause I hate SC2), the golden age of SC commentary was 2008-2009, with CholeraSC and Tasteless. HD is too perky, husky has aspergers and all the streamers are just no-skill fags showing off their n00b skillz.

Nowadays the best you can hope for are the GomTV casters, artosis and (new) tasteless. They're basically just morons that repeat the same jokes and jerk each other off, while watching really shitty players compete at an unbalanced, semi-competitive "AAA" game. Oh and (new) Tasteless sounds like he's dying of cancer.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
yeah tasteless sounds like he's losing his voice.

sc2 is actually pretty balanced now, though (race win% ratio, however some units like the marauders are still pretty op). in the course of a couple of months it has grown into the biggest e-sport out there so I don't know why you'd call it semi-competitive.
with the growing sc2 scene you can expect better players for every gsl there is. more and more sc players going over as well as wc3 players. sc2 is where the money's at.

attackfighter

Magister
Zed said:

sc2 is actually pretty balanced now, though (race win% ratio, however some units like the marauders are still pretty op). in the course of a couple of months it has grown into the biggest e-sport out there so I don't know why you'd call it semi-competitive.
with the growing sc2 scene you can expect better players for every gsl there is. more and more sc players going over as well as wc3 players. sc2 is where the money's at.

Where are you getting your race win %'s from? If it's bnet, well then that's no fucking surprise since bnet matches players up to ensure they have %50~ win ratio's. All tournaments so far have had huge disparency's between the races.

Also halo, call of duty and so many other shitty games have huge 'competitive' scenes, it doesn't change the fact that they (and SC2) do not lend themselves well to competitive play. They're all just circle jerks of fanboys - no neutral observer would ever describe them as e-'sports'.

Okay, and you say the marauder is OP, let me guess, you're some autistic moron that never played past platinum?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
attackfighter said:
Zed said:

Where are you getting your race win %'s from? If it's bnet, well then that's no fucking surprise since bnet matches players up to ensure they have %50~ win ratio's. All tournaments so far have had huge disparency's between the races.

Also halo, call of duty and so many other shitty games have huge 'competitive' scenes, it doesn't change the fact that they (and SC2) do not lend themselves well to competitive play. They're all just circle jerks of fanboys - no neutral observer would ever describe them as e-'sports'.

Okay, and you say the marauder is OP, let me guess, you're some autistic moron that never played past platinum?
I'm pretty low diamond, but I don't play very much. I play Terran and I think Marauders are op, especially against Protoss. What rating are you?

I don't know where the ratio% were pulled from. Probably battle.net, yes. Game hasn't been out very long and it will take a long time before it's close to Brood War.

Sure, Zerg are underrepresented in tournaments but with the recent increase of success for them I'm sure they'll get more players. Protoss is only slightly ahead of Terrans, at least if you look at GSL qualifiers. Then again I don't really know what you meant. Did you mean discrepancy? Disparency is not a word so you'll have to clarify.

Antihero

Liturgist
Even if it becomes balanced, it doesn't mean it becomes more enjoyable to play or spectate. I don't play that often and I'm not all that great at it (and maybe it's better with the most recent balance changes), but it seemed to me like Terran too often got to dictate the opening strategies against Protoss but especially Zerg.

Say they plan to go 3rax and storm your base during that small window where all you have for ground units are zealots, stalkers, sentries, and maybe an immortal or two: You could FF off your ramp and try teching up, or FF off a bit of their army at a time, but you're still playing their game. I'm not sure where people are with the Protoss FE against that, but it still takes more skill than spam-queueing units at your barracks.

chzr, ChristofferC, Zed, Luan
Live streams are too hardcore for me, guys - I just like leisurely watching stuff while having a chomp at my own time. But thanks, nonetheless.

PsyStarcraft... I dunno. I'd tried watching a few of his casts before and they were peppered with 'shitfuck' for every other word. I guess that inability to communicate coherently was the reason I'd stopped watching, or maybe I'd just stumbled on some of his worst. Will try a few more and see if it works out.
TotalBiscuit didn't do much for me, unfortunately. And Day9... well, he's a good player, but in the one cast of his I'd watched he didn't seem to be... particularly bright.
Still, at the very least, that makes something to choose from when having a SC itch. Thanks, guys. You are tru bros, as our prophet Blobert would eloquently put it.

PS: Can someone drop a link to the cancerous declined Tasteless' casts? Can't seem to find them.

Ah, I'd thought Tasteless had a channel on YT or some other free, no-nonsense service, somewhere.
GomTV wanted me to install their player and pay them for HQ and VODs. And I'm straight. So, things just didn't work out between us.

madbringer

Arcane
attackfighter said:
Also halo, call of duty and so many other shitty games have huge 'competitive' scenes, it doesn't change the fact that they (and SC2) do not lend themselves well to competitive play. They're all just circle jerks of fanboys - no neutral observer would ever describe them as e-'sports'

You're a fucking moron. How is what you said any different for, say, Quake games or BW? Oh, a neutral observer would be more inclined to appreciate the beauty of two green robots shafting each other on dm6 and a couple of ugly sprites shooting some more ugly sprites while two korean guys sit in booths more than the examples you gave above? R00fles!

The simple fact that these games HAVE competitive scenes with prize pools means they are suitable for competitive play, whether you want to call that e-sports or not.

attackfighter

Magister
madbringer said:
attackfighter said:
Also halo, call of duty and so many other shitty games have huge 'competitive' scenes, it doesn't change the fact that they (and SC2) do not lend themselves well to competitive play. They're all just circle jerks of fanboys - no neutral observer would ever describe them as e-'sports'

You're a fucking moron. How is what you said any different for, say, Quake games or BW? Oh, a neutral observer would be more inclined to appreciate the beauty of two green robots shafting each other on dm6 and a couple of ugly sprites shooting some more ugly sprites while two korean guys sit in booths more than the examples you gave above? R00fles!

The simple fact that these games HAVE competitive scenes with prize pools means they are suitable for competitive play, whether you want to call that e-sports or not.

I called it semi-competitive because you have the means to compete in it, but the low skill cieling and unbalanced gameplay makes it fairly pointless.

also in south korea brood war was/is synonymous with 'e-sports', it's the only game that's ever achieved such broad acceptance and success. sc2's shitty tournaments with $5,000 prize pools don't come close to it.

madbringer

Arcane
Uh, what? Low skill ceiling? Yeah a lot of random, completely unknown players have been winning major SC2 tourneys. Not.

Unbalanced gameplay, yeah, just as well that BW didn't have 11 years of patch releases behind it, oh wait it did LOL.

5000$ prize pools, uh huh except GSL had around 90,000$ for first place alone, and they're going to run these tourneys monthly next year (and one or two or something like that this year). And of course, let's not forget we're comparing an extremely well established commercial infrastructure to an infant one that's barely getting on it's feet and is only going to get bigger and bigger.

chzr

Erudite
madbringer said:
Unbalanced gameplay, yeah, just as well that BW didn't have 11 years of patch releases behind it, oh wait it did LOL.

SC1 wasn't calling itself "e-sport game" since it's beta though.

madbringer

Arcane
chzr said:
madbringer said:

That's because the concept of e-sports didn't even exist back then. People are butthurt that SC2 ain't perfectly balanced from the get go, but completely forget that SC1 was off wayyyy, wayyyyy worse than that, and BW initially only made things even worse. Didn't stop it form being picked up and polished into the masterpiece it is today. Why not give SC2 the same amount of slack? It tries some new things, it isn't fully figured out yet, and obviously it will take some more time to make it better. If people can't stop from raging incoherently, they can always go back to BW and wait till the process is over.

attackfighter

Magister
madbringer said:
chzr said:
madbringer said:

That's because the concept of e-sports didn't even exist back then. People are butthurt that SC2 ain't perfectly balanced from the get go, but completely forget that SC1 was off wayyyy, wayyyyy worse than that, and BW initially only made things even worse. Didn't stop it form being picked up and polished into the masterpiece it is today. Why not give SC2 the same amount of slack? It tries some new things, it isn't fully figured out yet, and obviously it will take some more time to make it better. If people can't stop from raging incoherently, they can always go back to BW and wait till the process is over.

There were only a handful of balance patches for brood war, like 2 or 3, and they were all released long ago. Also there are problems with SC2 that can't be fixed through number tweaking.

Yeah a lot of random, completely unknown players have been winning major SC2 tourneys.

A lot of unkown players have been making it quite far in tournaments. Regardless, the low skill cieling is better demonstrated by how no players really stand out from the crowd - in brood war you have flash and jaedong as the current undisputed champions, in SC2 there are no bonjwas just a bunch of mediocre players hovering around each other's skill levels.

GSL had around 90,000$

GSL is heavily sponsored by blizzard, and blizzard is only trying to market it's game. There are no other tournaments with large prize pools...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Day9 is a god among mere mortals. Thou shalt not speaketh evil of him.

Seriously, he is excellent+. Day9 Daily has a fantastic mix of deep analysis and hilarious stuff like Funday Monday (where shit goes boom).

http://day9tv.blip.tv/?sort=custom;view ... =dc;page=1

And Day9... well, he's a good player, but in the one cast of his I'd watched he didn't seem to be... particularly bright.

Well, he is but a humble Ph.D., but he tries his best :(

madbringer

Arcane
attackfighter said:
There were only a handful of balance patches for brood war, like 2 or 3, and they were all released long ago. Also there are problems with SC2 that can't be fixed through number tweaking.

Bs. Every little tweak matters in a game like this. Even after the last patch, BW evolved through pure meta-game changes. As soon as SC2 hits the right spot, it's gonna roll away. Hell, even with Zerg considered the weakest of the races, Fruit Dealer managed to annihilate Into the Rainbow in the finals of the GLS. That alone should tell you something about how "badly" balanced SC2 is.

A lot of unkown players have been making it quite far in tournaments. Regardless, the low skill cieling is better demonstrated by how no players really stand out from the crowd - in brood war you have flash and jaedong as the current undisputed champions, in SC2 there are no bonjwas just a bunch of mediocre players hovering around each other's skill levels.

Okay.

1) The game is very young, so it's only natural you will have no one dominating as much just yet.

2) You do have players like Tester, Fruit Dealer and Ensnare practically owning the tournaments leading up to the proper release. So the capability for a few players figuring out some stuff before others do and taking advantage of it is certainly in there.

GSL is heavily sponsored by blizzard, and blizzard is only trying to market it's game. There are no other tournaments with large prize pools...

And you honestly think no other tournaments like that one won't pop out? There is no way SC2 is gonna be a flop at this point, regardless of what you think personally about it at this point in time.

Grunker said:
And Day9... well, he's a good player, but in the one cast of his I'd watched he didn't seem to be... particularly bright.
Says more about Ph.D than of Day9, but what can I say, that's the impresson I got from #202. Seriously discussing the mystery of the missing sleeve on a shirt, pausing and pondering the usage of an unusual term "fruitful" by Qxc, "Best part of the drop is that you can run away", just to name a few, and the 'kid show' way he talks, in general. Maybe, he's just doing it for the wee ones in the audience - I don't know - but I just can't enjoy it. Good player, nice guy, but that's as far as my appreciation of him goes. My heart goes out to all the fans. Qxc was, by far, more interesting to listen to.

attackfighter

Magister
Multiple Sarcasm said:
Grunker said:
Says more about Ph.D than of Day9, but what can I say, that's the impresson I got from #202. Seriously discussing the mystery of the missing sleeve on a shirt, pausing and pondering the usage of an unusual term "fruitful" by Qxc, "Best part of the drop is that you can run away", just to name a few, and the 'kid show' way he talks, in general. Maybe, he's just doing it for the wee ones in the audience - I don't know - but I just can't enjoy it. Good player, nice guy, but that's as far as my appreciation of him goes. My heart goes out to all the fans. Qxc was, by far, more interesting to listen to.

Day9 seemed to be better at his brood war casts. He's like a noob to SC2, so he just repeats shallow truisms about RTS's. He's always spent a lot of time discussing vain shit though, the missing sleeve thing is only the beginning.

And you honestly think no other tournaments like that one won't pop out?

The whole 'e-sports' side of SC2 comes off as a marketing tool by blizzard... it's just too artifical, it didn't grow naturally like SC1. Sponsors will see that, and they'll also see how quickly blizzard pulled the plug on the brood war scene, so they'll definately be hesitant to invest in it. There'll only ever be a slew of small tournaments with a few big ones propped up by blizz, to think that a random 'AAA' game like SC2 will ever be as competitive as a gem like SC1 is fantasy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom