Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News GOG version of Witcher 2 DRM free, QA session and more

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Alex said:
Congratulations on your first newspost, Jasede. Keep them coming!
Wondering if this is intentional :D
By the way, while I really like that CDProjekt will sell the game without DRM at their own store, I can't help but think that this looks like a shady business practice. I understand it is more lucrative to sell off your own store, and I am ok with developers adding something extra to the version sold there. But this looks more like they are taking away something from the other versions instead of adding something extra to theirs. Maybe this isn't important, but it sure seems weird.
Well, it's the choice of other shops to sell worse versions of the game. They want it this way, so who's GOG to argue with that?

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Have they stated what sort of DRM goes for the physical versions, if any? I mean, I'd rather buy a real disc. It'll feel weird to pay just for bunch of bytes.

Alex

Arcane
@Elwro (and Jaesun (and maybe Jased too))

My mind's voice pronounce those names pretty closely, which is why I keep doing this. Sorry Jaesun (and Jasede too, if you are reading this). :oops:

@Gordon Freeman
GOG said:
Thanks to a close cooperation with our sister company CD Projekt RED, the developer of The Witcher franchise, we've managed to get the best deal for the digital edition of the game. With today's announcement of GOG's version being the only one fully DRM-free in digital download, the deal gets even more unrivaled!

The bolded part makes me think that at least some physical versions will also be DRM free.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Alex said:
@Elwro (and Jaesun (and maybe Jased too))

My mind's voice pronounce those names pretty closely, which is why I keep doing this. Sorry Jaesun (and Jasede too, if you are reading this). :oops:

It's ok BRO, and thanks. I still get Jason and Jaesun mixed up all the time. :/

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Alex said:
GOG said:
Thanks to a close cooperation with our sister company CD Projekt RED, the developer of The Witcher franchise, we've managed to get the best deal for the digital edition of the game. With today's announcement of GOG's version being the only one fully DRM-free in digital download, the deal gets even more unrivaled!
The bolded part makes me think that at least some physical versions will also be DRM free.
Probably Polish edition. Whether the game will have DRM or not in other versions will most likely depend on the international publisher. I doubt CD Projekt will find one that shares its thoughts on DRM.

waywardOne

Arcane
no drm and no obligation pre-order. i have to buy this purely for political reasons now.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Uh, this is very old news.

The bad thing about this preorder is that the POlish langauge version is not included...! This forces me to buy some shitty CD with DRM in a box in Poland. Sucks massively

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
asper said:

The bad thing about this preorder is that the POlish langauge version is not included...! This forces me to buy some shitty CD with DRM in a box in Poland. Sucks massively

I don't believe the QA session as well as the chance of a free GOG game is old news.

Mrowak

Arcane
commie said:
Yeesh said:
Like any loyal Codexer, I dream of the day when all PC games will be free.

They are already..... :smug:

I preordered my GOG version anyway. I have no qualms about pirating but when a company goes for the trust system like GOG with something that will be the 'best game ever'(tm), how can one not support it?

Same here... though I don't think I will buy the digital edition. Too much hassle with 8GB download. I do that merely to show my support for the initiative and help to convince shareholders the game is worth investing in. I will opt for DRM free DVD release.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Personally...i dont really give a crap about DRM these days...i mean...there are much bigger problems we have.

If someone actually makes a good game...I'd buy it non the less.

Sure DRM is shitty shit...but its not gonna stop me for buying a game with gamedesign thats is attleast a few inches in the right direction. ....

that said...im buying Wither 2 because....well...hmm...

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Mrowak said:
commie said:
Yeesh said:
Like any loyal Codexer, I dream of the day when all PC games will be free.

They are already..... :smug:

I preordered my GOG version anyway. I have no qualms about pirating but when a company goes for the trust system like GOG with something that will be the 'best game ever'(tm), how can one not support it?

Same here... though I don't think I will buy the digital edition. Too much hassle with 8GB download. I do that merely to show my support for the initiative and help to convince shareholders the game is worth investing in. I will opt for DRM free DVD release.

Yep, me too. I torrent just about all new games these days, mostly due to the fact that 90% of them I know are going to be shit. Occasionally I am pleasantly surprised, as was the case with Div2: DKS - which I supsequently bought.

TW2 looks like a definate improvement over TW1 (which I quite liked anyway), so this is a pre-order + day one purchase for me. Somthing I havn't done in years.

As for digital downloads - meh, I honestly can't remember the last time I purchased a hard copy of a PC game (mostly 'cuase I torrent lol). Even when I do buy 'legit' - it's 100% digital. I see no value in hard copies anymore, they just take up space (and HD space is a lot cheaper and easier to expand than shelf space).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
villain of the story said:
But now I can't choose between the retail boxed and the GOG version. Someone lay out a fact sheet comparing the two, please!

Well, pre-ordering the Witcher 2 and buying it from there let's you have this unique voice telling Publishers that DRM sucks fucking ass, and can shove that fucking DRM straight up their collectives asses and we are sick of this shit. Thats a far better value than what the differences between the two will be.

Or you can buy the retail box set.

Last edited by a moderator:

WalterKinde

Scholar
Apparently the physical version may ship with DRM and not the serial number/disc in drive kind.

waywardOne

Arcane
can i burn the download to cd? i'd like to be able to re-install without re-downloading.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
waywardOne said:
can i burn the download to cd? i'd like to be able to re-install without re-downloading.

gog installers are pretty much one big setup.exe with a couple of packed bin files

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
waywardOne said:

Yes you can. Assuming of course that it fits on one DVD. I haven't tried copying larger files than what fits onto a DVD5, but since they are broken up into .bin files with an installer, I'm guessing that like with a steam backup you can split the files onto multiple disks and the installer will just ask you to insert the '.bin' file that is missing at which time you just put in the other disk. I'll be doing this as downloading over and over sucks and in Australia with capped DL, it's also an expensive waste of DL credit.

AlaCarcuss said:
As for digital downloads - meh, I honestly can't remember the last time I purchased a hard copy of a PC game (mostly 'cuase I torrent lol). Even when I do buy 'legit' - it's 100% digital. I see no value in hard copies anymore, they just take up space (and HD space is a lot cheaper and easier to expand than shelf space).

My reason for being ambivalent towards physical copies stems from getting fuck all apart from a DVD in a plastic case and some pamphlet(manual). What's the real advantage, especially when many physical copies need constant internet connection or Steam to unlock anyway? OTOH, I'm liking the Potato version of TWitcher Collectors Edition, it's about the price of a normal game in the west, and comes will all that stuff...so I think I'll get that as well. I hardly buy anything so can splash out every once in a blue moon I guess.

Raapys said:
Good for them, though I'm unsure why CDProject did this. Unless this release will be later than the others, it practically renders the DRM in the other versions obsolete.

I think I recall them saying that DRM was forced on them by the publishers, not their own preferences, so I guess they're just going no DRM with a publisher that allows that and laughing at the others for forgetting to put their exclusion clauses in.

asper

Arcane
a budda said:
asper said:

http://www.gram.pl/sk2_8Q3hHOC6_Wiedzmi ... rdowa.html

can't say i care ;)

They don't ship abroad, but anyway, I preordered at merlin.pl. It's just annoying that the GOG version doesnt come with the Polish VO, since it seems to me that adding it wouldn't be much of a hassle. I really dislike boxes, discs, "goodies", CD-checks and DRM.

Data4

Arcane
Cool. This is news to me, no matter how old. Preordered and currently listening to the bonus soundtrack stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom