Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thank you bioware for being so progressive

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... ex/6554957

I'm glad to see Bioware paying attention to what's really important in an RPG: Social commentary and engineering. It's what makes role-playing classics like Mass Effect the flawless gems that they are. :smug:

Oesophagus

Arcane
Just out of curiosity: can you tell a gay person in DA:O/DA2 that you resent every bit of their existence, and that you consider them the lowest form of life whose only hope is to be purified in a baptism of fire? Not that that's what I think about gay people, but if Bioware's so hot on social engineering this should be an option, with all its consequences.
BTW, isn't the whole DA setting supposed to be "grimdark" and medieval? Because I'm pretty sure people weren't all that OK with homosexuality back then...

Nael

Arcane
Oesophagus said:
BTW, isn't the whole DA setting supposed to be "grimdark" and medieval? Because I'm pretty sure people weren't all that OK with homosexuality back then...

Not to defend Bioware (niggah plz) but I think "medieval" is a period of history that occurred on the Planet Earth. Not the Planet Dragontits (or whatever the fuck planet it is). It's entirely possible that some religious figure in their past got it on with other dudes and therefore homosexuality is more accepted on their planet. That doesn't mean that the Lord Your God will not smite the Planet Dragontits some sweet day however.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Nael said:
Oesophagus said:

Not to defend Bioware (niggah plz) but I think "medieval" is a period of history that occurred on the Planet Earth. Not the Planet Dragontits (or whatever the fuck planet it is). It's entirely possible that some religious figure in their past got it on with other dudes and therefore homosexuality is more accepted on their planet. That doesn't mean that the Lord Your God will not smite the Planet Dragontits some sweet day however.

why did you write this

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oesophagus said:
Just out of curiosity: can you tell a gay person in DA:O/DA2 that you resent every bit of their existence, and that you consider them the lowest form of life whose only hope is to be purified in a baptism of fire? Not that that's what I think about gay people, but if Bioware's so hot on social engineering this should be an option, with all its consequences.

When you are trying to normalize behavior making it look like a common, accepted type of behavior by good or cool characters is the best way to go about it. If they threw that shit in it would look ridiculous enough that nobody would take it seriously.

Phelot

Arcane
Arcanum was paving the way for bestiality long before Bioware caught up.

But really, this is all just so stupid how romance is handled. There's got to be one (1) homosexual man, and one (1) bisexual woman. Never any lesbians since they're intimidating and have deep voices. It's like a standards test you have to pass in order to sell your game since everyone knows having one example of each sexual orientation is enough of a reputation of them and besides gays aren't picky they'll take any gay man so it'd be redundant having two.

I didn't play this game, it probably shows.

circ

Arcane
Also, on the note of gays. When I was in 6th or 7th grade, some gayboy came to our class to talk about gayboys. He said how 1 out 10 people is a gayboy and that our classmate could be a gayboy. He was right, as I one day found out as a classmate from german class asked me if I was gay, in a peculiar manor. I refused his invitation, as he was ginger and not particularly attractive.

Anyway. In a BioWare game, you will usually have the same archetypal 8 groupmates, and half will turn out to swing in different ways. This is statistically impossible. But why am I arguing, it's BioWare.

J1M

Arcane
Sadly, if they added a tranny named Codex it would be the most original companion in a bioware game since Baldur's Gate.

New Fog

Novice
Oesophagus said:

Wikipedia said:
According to John Boswell, author of Christianity, Social Tolerance and Homosexuality,[22] there were same-sex Christian monastic communities and other religious orders in which homosexuality thrived. (...) While same-sex relationships among men were highly documented and condemned, "Moral theologians did not pay much attention to the question of what we would today call lesbian sex, perhaps because anything that did not involve a phallus did not fall within the bounds of their understanding of the sexual. Some legislation against lesbian relations can be adduced for the period, mainly involving the use of "instruments," in other words, dildoes."

Nael

Arcane
Serious_Business said:
Nael said:
Oesophagus said:

why did you write this

Why do I fucking write anything? Why do you? Why does anyone? Does anything even matter anymore?

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!

sunrise-1.jpg

Deleted Member 10432

Oesophagus said:
While that's true, by the same token, how many priestesses and female knights do you think there were in mediaeval Europe? Hell, how many publically practising wizards? And how much polytheism?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Djadjamankh said:
Oesophagus said:
While that's true, by the same token, how many priestesses and female knights do you think there were in mediaeval Europe? Hell, how many publically practising wizards? And how much polytheism?

Now ask yourself why. Then ask why it'd make sense for the exact opposite to occur in a fantasy society.

Despite what your teachers told you at school, being gay is not natural. Gay people don't get artificial insemination in fantasy worlds. So blind tolerance on something that'd be harmful for the family unit/village etc. is equally silly as straightforwardly copying medieval setting.

Nael

Arcane
circ said:
What a horrible sunset. But then again it was in the context of suicide, so ok, I can live with that.

It was actually a SUNRISE you mouth-breathing, donkey-fucking, dick-licking, rug-staining, waste-of-time.

Oesophagus said:

Well, you can turn friendly fire on and blast them with a gigantic fireball. They even raise after every fight, just so you can do it again.

DA makes both faggots and homophobes happy. Bioware did it again!

Haba said:
Now ask yourself why. Then ask why it'd make sense for the exact opposite to occur in a fantasy society.

sense

fantasy

Don't go there!

circ

Arcane
Nael said:
circ said:
What a horrible sunset. But then again it was in the context of suicide, so ok, I can live with that.

It was actually a SUNRISE you mouth-breathing, donkey-fucking, dick-licking, rug-staining, waste-of-time.
I was actually going to say sunrise, but lack of surfers made me think otherwise. I didn't think normal people bothered jumping into ice cold water at 5 am.

Still horribad.

mondblut

Arcane
When a Bioware game allows me to kill a 3 years old THEN buttrape its corpse in full cutscene glory, *that* would be a progressive social engineering.

Being a fag is so last decade. :yawn:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
mondblut said:
When a Bioware game allows me to kill a 3 years old THEN buttrape its corpse in full cutscene glory, *that* would be a progressive social engineering.

Being a fag is so last decade. :yawn:

Did you forget you are on your mondblut account, Major_Blackhart?

Deleted Member 10432

Haba said:
Djadjamankh said:
Oesophagus said:

Despite what your teachers told you at school, being gay is not natural. Gay people don't get artificial insemination in fantasy worlds. So blind tolerance on something that'd be harmful for the family unit/village etc. is equally silly as straightforwardly copying medieval setting.
... And you don't think woman knights, priests etc. is harmful for the family unit/village in an agrarian, pre-Industrial society? I suggest you try to use the sad, forgotten lump of grey matter lodged somewhere between the colossal ego and the inferiority complex, deep in the hidden recesses of your skull before you try and answer that question.

deuxhero

Arcane
New Fog said:
Oesophagus said:

Wikipedia said:
According to John Boswell, author of Christianity, Social Tolerance and Homosexuality,[22] there were same-sex Christian monastic communities and other religious orders in which homosexuality thrived. (...) While same-sex relationships among men were highly documented and condemned, "Moral theologians did not pay much attention to the question of what we would today call lesbian sex, perhaps because anything that did not involve a phallus did not fall within the bounds of their understanding of the sexual. Some legislation against lesbian relations can be adduced for the period, mainly involving the use of "instruments," in other words, dildoes."

What article is the quote from?

Blackula

Educated
Part of the relief program, yes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom