Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yahtzee reviews Witcher 2?!

MidgetGrant

Novice
Why this pretentious and false view of this game as so overly complicated?
"Oh it's a RPG and it was released only for the PC! (At first, that is) It has to be complex!"

This twat is making this game hard by not even trying, it's just embarrassing.
And he knows that. He should fucking know that if he just reads the manual and spends some time with the game, suddenly, just magically it isn't so complicated anymore! WOW! How did that happen? Did he just do that himself?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
"Alright, this is why I can't play this game." No content, no real jokes, nothing even remotely reviewing. He should have skipped this one.

MMXI

Arcane
Meh. Perhaps if he bitched about a quality turn-based cRPG I'd be more willing to call him out for being the whore that he is. Criticising The Witcher 2, though? I can't be fucked.

Deleted member 7219

I just can't believe how stupid he has become. His criticisms of The Witcher 2 were petty at best, and untruthful at worst. I think he was angry that he couldn't play The Witcher 2 on console and that biased him against the game right from the start.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The "review" was funny IMO, but it reeked from consolitis. Clearly he doesn't know how to play a PC only title. FFS, he couldn't even roll in the right direction!

I'm sorry, I take back what I've just said. It is not that it's a PC only title. Because he tested Demon's Souls, which is a console title, and he couldn't play with that either. So if a game is challenging, Yahtzee fails!

FatCat

Educated
He said himself that he is not reviewer , but a critic and doesn't hold his "reviews" as reviews. Everything is exaggerated in this video and it's obvious purpose was "attack" on PC elitists.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I take every chance I can to criticize the Witcher.
And I still like these reviews because they're usually funny enough for my low-brow tastes.

So that should make the target audience - or an idiot. (Or both, hurr durr!)

And yet, there wasn't a single joke in this one, and if there's one way to intrigue me it's by implying a game is complex and difficult. That, or romances with dog-dragons, obviously.

0/10

(Maybe I'm just PC master race butthurt? But that can't be, I love good console games.)

abija

Prophet
He stopped being funny for me when I realized what a failure of gamer he can be. It's like watching someone make fun of sport shows and then you suddenly discover he's some fat fuck who can't move from his couch.
And the very few console games I have played and were reviewed by him, he dropped the ball much worse than in TW2 or TW1.
To make it even more funny, he complains about hand holding in every game that has some. Yet he doesn't seem to notice he can't get past the starting phase of a game that lacks it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Let's be fair, all of use are prone to hypocrisy, exaggeration and double-standards from time to time. Especially me!

But you are correct: for someone who talks about games he is surprisingly bad at them.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
J_C said:
The "review" was funny IMO, but it reeked from consolitis. Clearly he doesn't know how to play a PC only title. FFS, he couldn't even roll in the right direction!

Funny when you consider the game supports X360 pads, and I played the whole thing with it.

FatCat said:
He said himself that he is not reviewer , but a critic and doesn't hold his "reviews" as reviews. Everything is exaggerated in this video and it's obvious purpose was "attack" on PC elitists.

And what's the difference? A review is supposed to be a work of critical nature, and a critic is supposed to analyse in an objective manner. There is nothing objective about his works since he is incredibly biased, like the rest of the gaming press. He's only famous because he "dares" to talk shit about some established developpers and publishers — and what courage it takes! what risks he may encounter! But notice that there are a few he just won't touch.

abija

Prophet
Not hating him for being hypocrite or having double standards or w/e. He could be trolling for viewers and couldn't care less.
It's more like every time he exaggerates to prove a point or to be funny I just think he might actually be THAT bad.

JrK

Prophet
Another of his reviews that makes me think he's just one of the dumbass mainstream crowd.

Yahtzee is an interesting case though. Most of the time he reviews plain bad games and points out the stuff which is really wrong with those games. I find myself agreeing a lot and thinking "finally someone who eloquently tore that shit to ribbons". Then suddenly he'll do a game that is more complex and perhaps requires a good read of the manual, and then suddenly he's a moron.

MMXI

Arcane
JrK said:
Yahtzee is an interesting case though. Most of the time he reviews games that I hate and points out the stuff which is really wrong with those games. I find myself agreeing a lot and thinking "finally someone who eloquently tore that shit to ribbons". Then suddenly he'll do a game that I like and then suddenly he's a moron.
Fixed.

:love:

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Nah, it's true. He's reviewed a few more "complex" games that I personally couldn't give a shit for, and it's still embarassing to see him complain about having to use his brian or do some reading or whatever. Christ, he complained that Mass Effect has too much text and Oblivion being overwhelming. Man's just a bit embarassingly dumb sometimes.

Not really going to criticize him on his reviewing chops, but I have to say he is losing a lot of appeal. Part of that's because he's a gimmick, and gimmicks get old fast. You can't expect a real longevity of a performer/writer/etc. when they have some gimmick as a crutch; it'll eventually erode away. How's Gallagher doing anyway?

Guy should work on transitioning himself to being a more serious reviewer, maybe use a little bit of his sarcastic wit peppered in, and market himself as one of the few "tough" reviewers. Might be a bit of work, but that way he won't be boned when the Escapist realizes they can probably get more hits by having some Asian chick/nerdy white girl read off top ten lists, perfect for Facebook/Twitter spam, and then he's no longer top dog.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He completed DA2 and rode off in the sunset with his gay boyfriend Anders. He couldn't even finish the first chapter of The Witcher 2. This is the key to understanding Yahtzee and console gamers in general. They've won the victory over themselves. They love Big Bioware.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Andyman Messiah said:
"Alright, this is why I can't play this game." No content, no real jokes, nothing even remotely reviewing. He should have skipped this one.

Not one of his best reviews, I will agree.

However, if nothing else, the part where he pointed out that developers think "Dark" means "everyone is a racist asshole" was spot on and pretty funny.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
JrK said:
Yahtzee is an interesting case though. Most of the time he reviews plain bad games and points out the stuff which is really wrong with those games. I find myself agreeing a lot and thinking "finally someone who eloquently tore that shit to ribbons".
I've never seen Yahtzee tear a game to ribbons. It's always a series of vague complaints and dick jokes followed by a tangential rant about the game industry at large. His comments are usually pretty poor, as well. I still find him entertaining sometimes.

As for this review, it was basically, "This game is too hard for me, but you can't accuse me of being too casual to play it, because I'm also pointing out how elitist PC gamers are and if you look down your nose at me your opinions are invalid . Have some dick jokes."

Deleted member 7219

I.C. Wiener said:
JrK said:
Yahtzee is an interesting case though. Most of the time he reviews plain bad games and points out the stuff which is really wrong with those games. I find myself agreeing a lot and thinking "finally someone who eloquently tore that shit to ribbons".
I've never seen Yahtzee tear a game to ribbons. It's always a series of vague complaints and dick jokes followed by a tangential rant about the game industry at large. His comments are usually pretty poor, as well. I still find him entertaining sometimes.

As for this review, it was basically, "This game is too hard for me, but you can't accuse me of being too casual to play it, because I'm also pointing out how elitist PC gamers are and if you look down your nose at me your opinions are invalid . Have some dick jokes."

That's absolutely right.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
He makes it seem better than it actually is :lol: He implies it is a long game (It really isn't) and he implies the combat is SUPERHARDZ when really if you can get past the prologue (pre-1.2) you wont have trouble with the rest of the game. Also his implication that this is a PC "master race" designed game is annoying, it feels like all these game reviewers don't see that it is blatantly designed with console/gamepads in mind (IGN asks this question in an interview with CDPR regarding the xbox version "Will the interface change at all for the console version?" :roll: ).

Pretty unrelated note, but in that same interview I just saw this in one of CDPR's answers "The QTEs were designed for the PC game, to make it more film-like in tone. We stripped them back significantly over time because we found them very spectacular but often too simplistic; they limited the experience for such a COMPLEX RPG" :lol:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yahtzee is a reasonably intelligent person and always plays stuff up for controversy (bitches gotta get paid, and controversy sells), but I find he's only really reliable when it comes to console gaming. Just about every PC game or RPG he's played, he's hated, and it's almost always out of some extremely superficial reason. He seems to really have a hard-on for "pure" gaming experiences, and I can't really fault him for that as a designer, but the complaints he'll pull out of his ass for some games are just absurd, if not outright wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom