Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So when did most people give up on BioWare?

When did you, if you ever liked BioWare's games, got tired of them?

• After Throne of Baal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After Neverwinter Nights

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • After Knights of the Old Republic

• After Jade Empire

• After Mass Effect

• After Mass Effect 2

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • After Dragon Age

• After Dragon Age 2

• Total voters

DraQ

Arcane
Grunker said:
Except "exploration" is not much fun if it consists entirely of "wipe the blackness off the map", "constantly scan entire screen with your cursor to find stashes of phat lewt cleverly disguised as single pixels" and "herd the retards" minigames rather than, you know, actual exploration, that is poking around in unlikely places, following subtle clues and finding cleverly hidden stuff.

For game to have good exploration it has to be FPP - 3D or fake 3D as in old crawlers. TPP may do in a pinch, but following camera precludes really cramped environments and the character model obscures what is usually the most interesting part of the screen. Iso with fog of war is absolutely atrocious for the purposes of exploration.

Jesus christ bro this is retarded. It's basically the TESF-argument if a bit less arbitrary. Exploration in BG1 was awesome (except for the VERY few cases of stuff hidden so you had to "scan" as you say), BECAUSE it was TPP - you had an overview of what you were exploring instead of constricting First Person that could leave you disoriented.

Exploration in both FPP and TPP has strengths and weaknesses but saying "FPP is strictly better for exploration" is very, very derp.
Except it's very, very true.

If one solution has exactly no advantages over the other, but does have many drawbacks, then it's clearly, unambiguously inferior. Plain and simple.

Want me to elucidate?
I can:

First, BG had very weak exploration, or, more strongly it had *no* exploration.
Why?
Because you can only have actual exploration, when exhaustive search is not an option for some reason. In BG, mind-numbing act of exhaustively combing map after map is all there is to "exploration" unless you count cursor scan minigame.

To put an actual exploration in game you need to make exhaustive search unfeasible and force player to use his brain rather than mechanically repeating the "search map" ritual:

• 1) by making the world space too large to comb

2) by making the world change dynamically and forcing player to track potentially desirable stuff fast enough (it's difficult and of limited utility, though, so it's more of a curiosity listed for the sake of completeness as it can't provide all exploration in game)

3) by forcing player to take creative routes

4) by obfuscating relative location or even playing outright nasty tricks with geometry

5) by otherwise enlarging search space compared to world space.

1) and 2) make actually finding stuff difficult, while 3) focuses on messing with finding ways to get to stuff you've found. 4) concentrates on helping player get lost, while 5) may mean a number of different things, most obvious of which is hiding stuff and making it difficult to find regardless of distance.

In overhead game with fixed zoom level only the first two points are possible, while FPP game can implement all of them with ease:

3) generally implies having to take non obvious routes, but this requires blocking off obvious ones and making traversing the gameworld harder - it usually involves making some routes one way only, and most common example (both in games and IRL) is using gravity and z-axis to do that, which is pretty much impossible in 2d overhead game.

4) relies on not having accurate and reliable map of the surroundings - which obviously excludes games with overhead view where the view itself is *the* map - clear overview of your surroundings is actually detrimental to exploration. In FPP multi-level 3D environments may force player to think even if he has minimap at his disposal.

The most natural way to enlarge search space in 5) is by introducing another variable, like z-axis (again) and then facing to the equation and by putting a lot of detail into the scene. Fine details are used both as clue and as obstruction, requiring player to think about what they are looking for and breaking up FoV. In a game where you're looking at zoomed out overhead bitmaps, trying to implement 5) is a lost cause, since you get 360 degree vision and details, if you're lucky may be as fine as a wall or doorway. In FPP details can be almost arbitrarily fine, and exhaustive scan of full sphere around you every step would take much longer than player can afford, forcing some actual brain use.

Since FPP can do all five and overhead at most two, FPP is clearly superior in this aspect.

BG obviously doesn't implement the second idea and fails horribly at the first one by making each location an obviously bounded, fairly small rectangle. The world map is similarly bounded and made up of small number of locations, so there is no exploration involved, just exhaustive search, map after map. Attempts at hiding stuff in BG only lead to mouse scanning, as there is simply no way to hide stuff in this perspective other than by making it fully invisible.

So, where exactly is this exploration in BG?

Wyrmlord said:
"Wipe the blackness off the screen" exploration has one downside - that you can visit a place once and see most or all items on the screen that you need to see. Whatever you miss, a little pixel hunting and cursor changing can solve immediately.

But in first person, you can visit the same place and not notice something important the first time, like a hidden opening between the bushes that leads down an entire trail. Or a hole that drops down into an entire dungeon. That's because you always see a limited part of the world at a time in first person.
This.
Grunker said:
I'm playing an RPG. Detection of hidden stuff such as paths, doors, traps and loot should be up to my character's skills, not my perception.
Which is something completely and utterly absent from BG - in addition to failing at the 'G' part of exploration by failing to actually involve the player it fails at 'RP' part as well by not involving characters.

Exploration is simply not included in BG.
:smug:

That's my personal opinion. Ideally, an RPG demands player skill in character customization, combat decisions, and various choices throughout the game. The rest should, as far as possible, be decided automatically (or by a roll), by these factors.
Ideally, a *Role Playing* *Game* should involve both characters and player in as much gameplay elements as possible and make both player and character abilities indispensable and incapable of overriding each other.

This also applies to exploration - there is nothing preventing player from having to poke his nose in every corner and character perception affecting what can be found from being applied simultaneously. Hidden details may be given threshold determining minimum character perception score at which they are rendered, same with sounds, text feedback and so on.

Ever played Amnesia? Just replace hallucinations with fine details and sanity score with one describing perception. You can even code mechanics detecting when an object is hidden without need for manual scripting - preferably reusing portions of general stealth mechanics as applied to characters.

Zomg

Arbiter
I like "explore vs. exhaust" as a catchphrase for the good exploration/bad exploration criticism.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Which is something completely and utterly absent from BG

Baldur's Gate had detection of traps and secret doors, Wizardry had detection of secret loot via Search or the Ranger's Auto-search. As such, both games handle this particularly issue equally bad.

And fuck you and your narrow, arbitrary definition of exploration. The exhaust-method of exploration is just as visible (if not more because of lack of overview) in FPP games as in TPP games. I frequently had to scan locations and back-track in Wizardry to find stuff or paths to new locations. How is that any different from uncovering a map in Baldur's Gate?

DraQ

Arcane
Grunker said:
Which is something completely and utterly absent from BG

Baldur's Gate had detection of traps and secret doors, Wizardry had detection of secret loot via Search or the Ranger's Auto-search.
Detecting traps is not exactly exploration. As for the secret doors, BG seemed to have one or two.

And don't forget detection of secret loot via Flailing Your Cursor Wildly in BG.

And fuck you and your narrow, arbitrary definition of exploration.
Clearly, the best exploration ever.

The exhaust-method of exploration is just as visible (if not more because of lack of overview) in FPP games as in TPP games. I frequently had to scan locations and back-track in Wizardry to find stuff or paths to new locations. How is that any different from uncovering a map in Baldur's Gate?
Wizardry?
How about Morrowind?
:smug:

Mister Arkham

Scholar
I was never really much of a Bioware fan to begin with, but I've changed my perceptions of them more than I've given up on them. I learned a long time ago that enjoying the output of a developer doesn't mean enjoying all of it or functioning as a fanboy. The Mass Effect series proves to me that there are still talented people working there who are capable of producing interesting and entertaining products...they just aren't really RPGs anymore. And while I think it's a shame that the Dragon Age series neatly illustrates that they really can't/don't know how to pull off a proper RPG these days (I still haven't brought myself to finish Origins, and the demo for DA2 was so incompetent that I felt a little sick) I can deal with them making fun, over the top action adventure/shooters and be happy with the results.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Draq is definitely making some good points here. I've always hated exploration in third person isometric RPGs, because it is simply a matter of clearing all the fog of war off the map in each section, then moving on to the next. The God's eye view means that it is very difficult for dungeons to confuse or disorient you at all.

If the Devs included it, you hold down the highlight containers key, otherwise you have mouse over all likely containers.

I guess "remove all the fog of war and check all containers" counts as playing a game, but it's not particularly rewarding and it doesn't feel much like exploring.

First person exploration isn't great either, so I'd probably de-emphasize the role of exploration in most RPGs, but first person still seems like the best option available. (specifically, first person like in the Gold Box games).

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
PorkaMorka said:
Draq is definitely making some good points here. I've always hated exploration in third person isometric RPGs, because it is simply a matter of clearing all the fog of war off the map in each section, then moving on to the next. The God's eye view means that it is very difficult for dungeons to confuse or disorient you at all.

If the Devs included it, you hold down the highlight containers key, otherwise you have mouse over all likely containers.

I guess "remove all the fog of war and check all containers" counts as playing a game, but it's not particularly rewarding and it doesn't feel much like exploring.

First person exploration isn't great either, so I'd probably de-emphasize the role of exploration in most RPGs, but first person still seems like the best option available. (specifically, first person like in the Gold Box games).

I have to highlight though, finding a hot spot in first person view can be quite annoying, especially when not everything is meant to be interacted with. This is why DE:HR resorted to gold highlights. There's nothing like a full shelf of buckets and sprays yet the only thing you can interact with it a candy bar on the bottom shelf. It felt wrong somehow after running around in New Vegas looting everything.

DraQ

Arcane
RK47 said:
PorkaMorka said:

I have to highlight though, finding a hot spot in first person view can be quite annoying, especially when not everything is meant to be interacted with. This is why DE:HR resorted to gold highlights. There's nothing like a full shelf of buckets and sprays yet the only thing you can interact with it a candy bar on the bottom shelf. It felt wrong somehow after running around in New Vegas looting everything.
It's bad, but still orders of magnitude better than iso with similarly arbitrarily limited interaction.

In FPP it's also easier to just place individual objects than resort to hotspot containers - take a bookshelf, for example.

Hotspots, even arbitrary, are going to be less arbitrary in FPP thanks to extra detail.

Dantus12

Educated
Well their direction was very obvious from the start, they wanted to make BG a MMO but others had control so they couldn't.
Considered their games to be fun, haven't played Kotor, played JE in 2009 and I'm easy to entertain so it was ME2 for me.
It was trying to hard, a prime example of it doesn't smell good it doesn't stink either completely, cant really come up with game that was more predictable and boring. It was the fact that I'm always willing to give a game the benefit of a doubt that made me finish it.

corvus

Arcane
I liked KOTOR when I was younger, though even then I thought Obsidian's sequel was better in regards of pseudo-metaphysics shit, since the Light/Dark side dichotomy never appealed to me with Star Wars. And I enjoyed Mass Effect (and the second) for what it was, but a friend was gushing about a game called Dragon Age which I had only heard of from random ads on wowhead.com. So, going by her recommendation I bought it. It seemed interesting at first, and I thought the origins were a fun concept. By the time I finished the game though, the story was tear-inducingly boring and the companions were two-dimensional caricatures that absolutely pissed me off (with the exceptions of Sten and the dog, who didn't really talk all that much. Odd, that.). After that, I got Mass Effect 2 since I still had the first game fresh in my mind and was looking forward to the sequel. Gameplay was much improved over the first, but... the fucking companions. And the story. The first one's wasn't that good either but it didn't take itself THAT seriously, as it felt more like a cheesy take on conventional Sci-Fi genre. Ooh, our game is much darker now. You can save a bunch of miners or let them burn to death! Shepard is getting gritty on yo asses!

Um, I guess Mass Effect 2 was where I lost faith then? Dragon Age 2 came a little too late and I couldn't give a fuck reading all the previews coming out about their derpy decisions. I kinda feel bad for all the innocent ones who thought the first Dragon Age was a modern masterpiece in the "old-school" vein, only to have their pure souls crushed by the cynical money-grab that was Dragon Age 2: A Hawkesome Tale. I've been there kind've, when I thought Morrowind was a masterpiece and wanted more of it only to be treated to Oblivion.

sirfink

Scholar
catfood said:
I gave up on Bioware after I played KOTOR 7 times.

This is the official Codex answer. For a bunch of guys who hate Bioware so much, we sure like to discuss their games in great detail. I mean, remember that time in ME2 when you had to save that one guy or you could kill him but only if you convinced Miranda to go to that one planet and rescue that one dude before the timer ran out on that bomb? I mean damn did that game suck or what?!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Well, to defend my own self, this is the first time I speak of BioWare in a long time. And I haven't played any post-KotOR BioWare game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
sirfink said:
catfood said:
I gave up on Bioware after I played KOTOR 7 times.

This is the official Codex answer. For a bunch of guys who hate Bioware so much, we sure like to discuss their games in great detail. I mean, remember that time in ME2 when you had to save that one guy or you could kill him but only if you convinced Miranda to go to that one planet and rescue that one dude before the timer ran out on that bomb? I mean damn did that game suck or what?!

Is it so unnatural that we spend time on them considering they're the only AAA developer who are still claiming to produce RPGs?

I don't get this "lol Codex is weird they spend time discussing what they don't like"

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Grunker said:
I don't get this "lol Codex is weird they spend time discussing what they don't like"
I don't either. Just because I don't like a game, doesn't mean I don't play it.

It just means I don't pay for it. :smug:

Shannow

Waster of Time
Bush was a shitty president. Instead of going into what he did wrong and what he should have done if he really had had the People's best interest at heart I'll be talking about chocolate cakes. Because I like chocolate cakes and some guy on the internet finds it strange when I try to improve the world by criticising stuff I don't like... :roll:

DraQ

Arcane
Shannow said:
Bush was a shitty president. Instead of going into what he did wrong and what he should have done if he really had had the People's best interest at heart I'll be talking about chocolate cakes. Because I like chocolate cakes and some guy on the internet finds it strange when I try to improve the world by criticising stuff I don't like... :roll:
This.

As long as you don't play it seven times.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
holy shit everyone is so cool

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom