Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anno 2070 demo is out

made

Arcane
The dialogue and quests piss you off here but they didn't in 1404? Same shit. I almost uninstalled that because of the campaign, this time I'll know better.

Satan

Educated
why would you play campaign anyway? I played only Anno 1602's campaign and never again did the same mistake, so while I played all the series for thousands of hours I never played campaign of 1503, 1701 or 1404 and i'm not going to do it in 2070 as well.

Anno is about freeplay without any quests (I disabled them in 1404 in freemode as well). It's about expansion, trade and wars, not about some shitty banal quests.

J1M

Arcane
I liked 1404's campaign. It taught the game, introduced some interesting challenges, and didn't hold your hand too much.

Yes, everyone was super-nice or whatever, but you weren't bombarded literally every second with with messages from different characters for 2 hours straight.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Is the game still retarded like Anno 1404 where you end up having cities with very unrealistic demographics, like you always need to have more and more higher class citizens to unlock more buildings etc?. In the end your cities have only very few poor people and the biggest group of people is the most highest class of people.

trym88

Scholar
Toffeli said:
Is the game still retarded like Anno 1404 where you end up having cities with very unrealistic demographics, like you always need to have more and more higher class citizens to unlock more buildings etc?. In the end your cities have only very few poor people and the biggest group of people is the most highest class of people.

like real life :thumbsup:

J1M

Arcane
I always assumed that when a commer house went from 10/10 to a noble house with 18/18 (or whatever) that it was implied 8 noblemen lived there with their 10 employees in the basement.

made

Arcane
I'm not sure what the exact requirements are, but you do need a certain number of lower tier houses for the next class to move in. In 1404 you'd end up with almost all nobles as long as you had enough nomads. In 2070 it seems less ridiculous, but you'll still end up with disproportionately more managers and execs compared to workers.

Really enjoying the game so far btw. Just as addictive as 1404. Plastering your island with steelworks and coal excavators while Industrial Landscapes is playing in the background feels pretty awesome.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Finally, a setting where it makes sense for the entirety of the world to be islands.

Satan

Educated
fuck, the game runs slow on my laptop, while the demo run fine... but demo had a very small map and i'm playing continuous game in the full version. that sucks, i love freemode and i can barely play :|

made

Arcane
Turn off vsync. I had 20-30 fps with it on, twice as much without.

Satan

Educated
I did set my graphic settings to the lowest possible

anus_pounder

Arcane
So, hows the campaign ? Do you start off as the industrialists and then defect to green peace ? On a more important note, how does the game compare to the older annos, on the whole ?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
anus_pounder said:
So, hows the campaign ? Do you start off as the industrialists and then defect to green peace ? On a more important note, how does the game compare to the older annos, on the whole ?
You start out as industrialists, then get a choice of which, and then go green and then go both at once.

The game is basically anno 1404 with some extra stuff and fancier graphics.

made

Arcane
Jaedar said:
The game is basically anno 1404 with some extra stuff
Pretty much. The extra stuff adds quite a bit to the game though. 1404 got stale after a while, because you'd end up building the same stuff in the same order game after game. Here, you have options. The two factions have different priorities and need different resources, and if you want to settle both to unlock all the units/buildings you'll have a vast, complex multi-island empire to manage. Then there's research and environmental disasters to consider (which are not all scripted events like someone previously claimed). For example, oil rigs can randomly explode and if you haven't developed appropriate counter measures in time they'll flood your nearby islands with nicely-shaded oil spills that kill all fish and drive out the populace while you scramble to get the situation under control.

Unfortunately missing are the spy and sabotage elements from Venice, and the various LARP city prettifications which the AI can build but you can not. Room for DLC, I guess.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I take it they will milk us with an addon/dlc that "adds" the third faction (scientists) which is already there but only playable in campaign?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
MetalCraze said:
I take it they will milk us with an addon/dlc that "adds" the third faction (scientists) which is already there but only playable in campaign?
You get access to the scientist faction for a price once you reach the third tier of citizens.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Well, if even skyway is playing this, can't be all that bad eh ? ;)

Might as well buy it. Ubishit seems to have a habit of offering content thats online only. Not a big deal (i think), but for a guy like me that wants 100% of a game, I can't stand to have 80-90% playable pirate edition. Just hope this isn't what all games are going to be like. Would be the single worst disaster in human history. :/

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I started playing with the game yesterday, and enjoying it quite a lot. Of course since I loved Anno 1404, and this game is VERY similar to it, this is not a surprise. Too bad I don't have money to buy it right now, so I can't give a shot to the multiplayer. Has anyone tried that part of the game?

In ANNO 1404's expansion, Venice, there was a very basic multiplayer, did they improved that?

Satan

Educated
the only multiplayer I ever played was Anno 1602's. Is it somewhat different in later games?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Satan said:
the only multiplayer I ever played was Anno 1602's. Is it somewhat different in later games?
Well I haven't played with the earlier Annos. In 1404, it was just continous play, with real gamers playing instead of the AI Cities.

Shadenuat

Arcane
This game sure is one of the prettiest and stylish modern games I've played. The setting is also really cool, reminds of Alpha Centauri, like Gaians vs. Morganites. Ubishit locks some upgrades for units if you're not connected to internet though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom