Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rumor: Bend over Legacy of Kain!

deuxhero

Arcane
http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/20/rumour-crystal-dynamics-working-on-soul-reaver-reboot/

Damn...

In related news, this has eliminated the only other possibility to the Mystary game of Silicon Knights

"The company is currently refocusing and returning to its roots, working on one of its most requested titles for the next generation"
and
"I don't think it is too much to ask. Certainly we love Eternal Darkness. It's a project that's near and dear to our hearts.", "requested by a lot of people"

This means Eternal Darkness 2!
... Hopefully they don't make Alex whine about seeing beyond the veil of reality every five minutes or make her some huge boobed scantily clad chick starring in a CoD clone with zombies.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Legacy of Kain Pinball for PS Vita incoming.
:decline:

Really though I'd love a proper SEQUEL to Defiance.

Menckenstein

LoK without Amy Hennig is LoK in name only.
Considering she's churning out Uncharted's kiddie pool deep stories I don't think the series will miss her that much. Also isn't the other lead writer still there?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Whatever. When has CD ever released a good game post LoK? The new Tomb Raider might as well be total shit, and if they're gonna make a new LoK, it will be full of pop culture references and teen angst bullshit.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Hopefully it's Vehiculum Furtus Maximo...

LoK gameplay was shit/mediocre. The series was all down to the writers (art/sound was gud dough). I don't really care if it's rebooted or not. Vaarna_Aarne, post that shitty slav remake.
Au contraire, the gameplay aspects in original Blood Omen and Soul Reaver were great on top of everything else. Still, point stands that what set the games apart was the writing, and Amy Hennig was crucial to that. See: Blood Omen 2.

Anyway, here's the Slav remake: http://omnicide.legacy-of-kain.ru/en

Whatever. When has CD ever released a good game post LoK? The new Tomb Raider might as well be total shit, and if they're gonna make a new LoK, it will be full of pop culture references and teen angst bullshit.
Well, I'm not sure if the 3D Gex platformers would count since they slightly predate Soul Reaver, since those two were fun platformers (though completely overshadowed by Crash Bandicoot, just like every other platformer at the time).

PS: Actually if it's a very faithful remake, emphasis on REmake, it could be fun. Lots of stuff was cut from Soul Reaver due to budget reasons, and the story went through a large rewrite as a result. http://www.thelostworlds.net/SR1/index.html

Still, old dialogue should absolutely be re-used, since Tony Jay (this is the most important one, since he's kinda impossible to get back in), Simon Templeman and Michael Bell are irreplaceable.

Vaarna_Aarne

PS: Actually if it's a very faithful remake, emphasis on REmake, it could be fun. Lots of stuff was cut from Soul Reaver due to budget reasons, and the story went through a large rewrite as a result. http://www.thelostworlds.net/SR1/index.html

Still, old dialogue should absolutely be re-used, since Tony Jay (this is the most important one, since he's kinda impossible to get back in), Simon Templeman and Michael Bell are irreplaceable.

Vast swathes of the material cut from SR were integrated into the later games, so I don't really see the big dealio.
Well, I'm talking about things like Turelim territory here.

praetor

Arcane
LoK gameplay was shit/mediocre. The series was all down to the writers (art/sound was gud dough). I don't really care if it's rebooted or not. Vaarna_Aarne, post that shitty slav remake.
Au contraire, the gameplay aspects in original Blood Omen and Soul Reaver were great on top of everything else. Still, point stands that what set the games apart was the writing, and Amy Hennig was crucial to that. See: Blood Omen 2.

that's not saying much since BO2 was a) made by a completely different company, and b) at first it was developed as a completely different game (a sequel of the glorious Chakan) before switching to BO2

still, the article talks about reBOOT not reMAKE so it will oh so very likely be complete and utter shit :(

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
I wonder if sequel to the original serie would be even possible after everything they've done with the plot in LOK and SR. I mean, those timelines and time travelling shit. Oh, and that Cthulhu hiding under the Pillars.

DraQ

Arcane
Au contraire, the gameplay aspects in original Blood Omen and Soul Reaver were great on top of everything else.
Don't know about everything else, and never managed to run BO, but SR had pretty solid gameplay. Controls were shit but combat was nice - very dynamic and the difference between vampires and humans in terms of mortality was well integrated into it (you TK vampire into a stone wall - stunned vampire about to get very pissed, you TK a human into the same wall - mashed human).

Still, point stands that what set the games apart was the writing, and Amy Hennig was crucial to that. See: Blood Omen 2.
This.

Well, they are going to have to hire some new voice talent, given that Tony Jay's soul was released to became the Wheel of Fate.
:salute: :obviously: :cry:

Vaarna_Aarne

With way better story and main character, I may add. And of course, some of the spells you had in Blood Omen were totally bawss and could be used for really creative secrets and just general fucking around.

Au contraire, the gameplay aspects in original Blood Omen and Soul Reaver were great on top of everything else.
Don't know about everything else, and never managed to run BO, but SR had pretty solid gameplay. Controls were shit but combat was nice - very dynamic and the difference between vampires and humans in terms of mortality was well integrated into it (you TK vampire into a stone wall - stunned vampire about to get very pissed, you TK a human into the same wall - mashed human).
The controls weren't even that bad for a pre-analog PS1 game. I replayed it recently thanks to PSN and the only problem with the controls is the pre-analog day lack of precision which can make platforming a pain sometimes. However, the level and puzzle design alone make it damn great platformer adventure.

And of course, like you mentioned, the combat is great. Simply because it relied on improvisation to stand in for the otherwise simplistic system, which led to a great outcome, since it's really fun to actually keep track of your environment and not pull out every damn pipe you see because you might need a handy pipe later if you have to drop your current old faithful somewhere. Similar to how torches quickly became emergency weapons due to the scarcity of fire sources to light them with.

Menckenstein

As long as Simon Templeman is involved I'll lap it up like a Biodrone at the teat of the Hepler. :oops:

DraQ

Arcane
The controls weren't even that bad for a pre-analog PS1 game.
Member of PC master race here :obviously: .

However, the level and puzzle design alone make it damn great platformer adventure.
Agreed. I really liked SR1 puzzles, especially the way some exploited physical/spectral realm mechanical differences.

And of course, like you mentioned, the combat is great. Simply because it relied on improvisation to stand in for the otherwise simplistic system, which led to a great outcome, since it's really fun to actually keep track of your environment and not pull out every damn pipe you see because you might need a handy pipe later if you have to drop your current old faithful somewhere. Similar to how torches quickly became emergency weapons due to the scarcity of fire sources to light them with.
Indeed, combat was not particularly complex, but it was interesting enough to be fun and didn't rely on slowly whittling away the enemy's HP.

Vaarna_Aarne

Yea, I think the Turelim were the only vampires that could take a large deal of punishment before being stunned (they had a short stun time too), but otherwise generally a few swings did the trick. And by the time you faced Turelim you (could have) had access to Glyphs that kill them outright in case you're not having a trusty stick at hand.

dumuh

Educated
Earl Boen would be a good person to take over from Tony Jay if they did make more games. They sound very similar.

GreyViper

Prophet
Hopefully it's Vehiculum Furtus Maximo...
Hahaha I cant believe someone else recalls that, because that Aprils fools joke was done so long time ago.:D :incline: Still with tech we have now they should be able to pull it off. A city sandbox game before Kain rose to power would have been interesting.
By the way, is it 100% sure there will be new LoK game or just guessing? By browsing Edios forum most seem to think somebody jumped gun on the rumor.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
They don't have anyone competent to make good story (and modern writes suck balls) and Tony Jay is not among us anymore.
So why bother

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom