Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 2 Expert help!

potatojohn

Arcane
Maybe there's a problem with AIMNAS or something, but with NCTH successful headshots were rare even with 99 MRK to the point where I would never use them in ironman.

Heavy MGs are also much more useful now in SVN since it has weapon overheating (overheating causes damage to weapons much more quickly, also I think they jam if you reach critical temp).

Khor1255

Arcane
Now, that sounds like a really cool feature. We were always talking about ways of balancing heavy mgs. wil473 and me were even working on barrels that overheated using the gun barrel extender item idea. Glad to hear something worthwhile is being done.

potatojohn

Arcane
Another change is that weapons can't be repaired to 100% any more from any condition. I haven't tested it to know how exactly it works but it seems that e.g. if you have a weapon with 40% condition, you can only repair it to 60%, etc.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
The pathing system (they talked about changing it back or fixing it so to date I'm not sure of the status since I stopped paying attention to that derp), the chance to hit dynamic (by allowing players to see their cth which was one of the only advantages the ai had), the AP system....I'll bet I'm forgetting a few but these were bad enough.

Oh, obvious stuff then. I thought you meant some more discreet things hidden in the code.

zeitgeist

Magister
Would any of our resident modders perhaps know something about this limitation to the sandbags/wire barricades?

IMPORTANT: This will only work in a map if the map's tileset has sandbags/concertina wire in it. Otherwise you will get a message that this fortification cant be built here. No way around that.

It's a pretty neat addition, but it works in so few sectors on the standard JA2 Arulco map that it might as well not be there at all.

Project: Eternity
I'm actually playing through JA2 for the first time right now (on expert; I've only taken Drassen and Chitzena), so I guess I'll dump my very limited wisdom and opinions here:

-Grunty is a complete steal; I don't think I'll every not get this guy on subsequent play-throughs. Dirt cheap, night ops/heavy weapons, decent stats. I'd almost rather have a party of six Grunties. No, I don't care that that sounds like a euphemism.

-I'm finding that as far as gun stats go, range trumps everything, followed by APs.

-Calvin Barkmore made me smile.

-I have quasi-save-scummed a bit; it kind of feels necessary if you're ever not attacking at night. My only real complaint with this game at the moment is the way random seeds are handled. Changing one merc's stance half a map away shouldn't affect whether or not another one gets clobbered.

-Flo & Ira are great for maxing militias out. "You've got my eeaahh!" gets a little old, though.

Khor1255

Arcane
Would any of our resident modders perhaps know something about this limitation to the sandbags/wire barricades?

IMPORTANT: This will only work in a map if the map's tileset has sandbags/concertina wire in it. Otherwise you will get a message that this fortification cant be built here. No way around that.

It's a pretty neat addition, but it works in so few sectors on the standard JA2 Arulco map that it might as well not be there at all.
If your question is 'why won't it work on other maps' it is because other types of maps would not contain the proper tilesets.

I always pushed for a universal tileset so that you could use any tile in any map. A guy named Kriplo was working on some cool stuff related to this but I don't think he is active anymore.

The_scorpion

Liturgist

i'm using a similar feature in my games, but much simpler. Fortifications can only be built where i allow them to be built because otherwise, i'd be too tempted to herd the AI into a minefield or abuse the retarded pathfinding in other ways to make the game a joke.

I never looked into 1.13's sandbag-building system in detail though. Maybe have a look at Aimnas... Aimnas probably has stuffed most maps full of sandbags, hence there's a good chance you can use this feature in more maps in aimnas than in normal 1.13. Depends on how exactly the limitation mentioned works.

zeitgeist

Magister
Is it at all possible to have a sort of an additional tileset with tiles that could be overlaid over some tiles (for things like sandbags or wire) on any map, or do you have to actually add these tiles manually to every single map tileset? Does each sector have its own specific tileset then?

The_scorpion

Liturgist
There's only a small number of "common" graphics for each and every map. There are like 50 tilesets in Vanilla ja2, 60 or so in UB and in 1.13, up to 255 (possibly) or something. A tileset defines which graphics goes onto which "slot", if it doesn't specifiy a new graphic, it defaults to the graphic used by tileset 0. So in Vanilla, you can't overlay the existing graphics with new ones. What can be done (and i figure it has been done in some mods) is to clean up tileset 0 and all other tilesets so 0 uses common objects to be used with every map (but of course you have to redesign the vanilla maps for this to work)

so cleaning up the tileset 0 logic and adjusting all the maps would be one way to get sandbags and wire into all maps. Another way would be code changes. There used to be a mod where graphics from one tileset could also be used for other tilesets.
as for 1.13's feature, i don't know by which logic it decides whether or not bags and wire are available for a given map. Clearly, there's a bunch of other objects in most tilesets that could be used for barricades not just sandbags, so there'd surely be room to make it a "smart" feature by specifiying buildable fortificatons by tileset rather than a *dumb* feature that goes "if wire and bags in tilesets, the we can build"

zeitgeist

Magister
Here's some modding news that doesn't really deserve a separate thread:

This feature allows you to equip militia. To be precise, militia will simply take its items from the sector inventory instead of generating it according to the xmls.
This allows you to give them gear that is way above what they would normally get - but this also means that if you don't provide any gear, then the militia wont have any. Plus any gear they use, you cannot use at the same time

Sounds interesting, although I'm not sure how much .ini tweaking it will take for it not to be horribly unbalanced in-game.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Even though I enjoy micromanagement, this would be a bit too much for me. :/

Yeesh

Magister
Even though I enjoy micromanagement, this would be a bit too much for me. :/
Yeah, life's definitely too short for that as written. I wouldn't mind being able to hand off some good weapons to militia every once in a while, that would be nice. But even if they're going to auto-equip from the ground AND do an OK job of it, the thought of just trying to make sure there's enough armor, ammo, and even guns in each guarded sector hurts my head. Let alone the notion of actively managing it all, balancing strength and shoring up weaker sectors, swapping out or repairing equipment in poor condition...

Lorica

Educated
Thx, much appreciated
:love:
I surely don't hear it often enough ;)

Although back then there used to be something of a Buzz about it for a while, but that's long ago. Glad to have a few guy who remember it.

Not to hijack the thread, but I've racked up more time with RR than with any other mod (including 1.13, actually) over the years and I still haven't seen everything (all the new maps, the secrets, and new characters). I want to get back in with Arulco Revisited, but my RR install is still staring at me from my games folder. :) Might dip my feet there. Immensely entertaining mod.

zeitgeist

Magister

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
That's awesome, though I never really used gas masks that much before (aside maybe in the bunkers or in Tixa)

Tagaziel

Scholar
I think it's a problem with the way gas grenades coded. I don't recall the possibility of bouncing them off of the walls or rolling them down the corridor from around a corner. Otherwise I'd use them as the overture to the curbstomping symphony.

The_scorpion

Liturgist
Thx, much appreciated
:love:
I surely don't hear it often enough ;)

Although back then there used to be something of a Buzz about it for a while, but that's long ago. Glad to have a few guy who remember it.

Not to hijack the thread, but I've racked up more time with RR than with any other mod (including 1.13, actually) over the years and I still haven't seen everything (all the new maps, the secrets, and new characters). I want to get back in with Arulco Revisited, but my RR install is still staring at me from my games folder. :) Might dip my feet there. Immensely entertaining mod.

RR has been designed with *some* branching storyline and quest elements in mind. The idea was that the mod can be replayed various times in a different fashion and always see a few new things. Unfortunately, stability issues probably kept players from playing it more than once (given they actually managed to finish it at all)

regarding the most recent discussion ITT:

you *can* bounce grenades off of walls and the like. Aim the grenade for behind the wall (black cursor) and it will be thrown at the wall, bounce off and detonate where it lands. Sadly, just rolling it around a corner doesn't work. Oh wait, is it different for gas grenades? i don't even remember :(

Mad_scientist

Barely Literate
I start to play Food System open but there is no food. Where can i find food or disable it?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Food can be bought from two places:
1. All bartenders sell it, so the Brothers Identicals and that sleazy guy in San Mona, for example. Their stocks replenish daily IIRC.
2. Online from your one-stop virtual warehouse for everything under the sun.

I think they aim to add them to enemies at some point as well but I haven't come across any food drops. In the very beginning, it can be somewhat frustrating, though water is more critical, so you really should go to Drassen and capture the middle sector with the sweatshop at least, since there's a bar there and if you're totally out of money, you can get some from the aforementioned t-shirt factory once you ice the owner.

For water I think you can just refill all your canteens if you are in a sector with water. But I forgot what the key for that was.

Khor1255

Arcane
Huh, actually cool new features for mod making. Might have to look into it again.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I dunno how Wildfire changes things - I just have the 1.13 installed, no additional mods. Canteens get filled automatically in town sectors, water/milk bottles are one-use-only disposals.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom