Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Auction House Online: The Game (Diablo 3) is a MASSIVE decline

Cyril

Educated
Ok I bought the trial and played a witch doctor. This game so far feels like hard work and no reward. Compared to D2 the map is a more or less a line, whereas in D2 it was a square. And I dont think its randomly generated either. There is only a vague feeling of skill progression. It feels like you ought to pick up every item and gold, since you can sell it for gold or turn it into materials. Burden. Does it get fun later on?

Rpgsaurus Rex

Isn't a trial version supposed to make you decide whether to pay for the retail version? Why would you pay for a trial version? That's like asking you to pay for watching ads.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Ok I bought the trial and played a witch doctor. This game so far feels like hard work and no reward. Compared to D2 the map is a more or less a line, whereas in D2 it was a square. And I dont think its randomly generated either. There is only a vague feeling of skill progression. It feels like you ought to pick up every item and gold, since you can sell it for gold or turn it into materials. Burden. Does it get fun later on?
http://www.pathofexile.com/

Guys, I was going to download the Diablo 3 trial in order to have a good laugh. After a nearly 10 GB download for a game that looks like WC3 with a blur filter applied, upon logging in my account was locked.

Now, keep in mind, I had to log into my account several hours earlier just to activate the trial. So it's clearly not some kind of authentication issue, if I was a hacker trying to steal the account I would have already had it. My only guess is that either:

A. Blizzard has developed an incredibly advanced heuristical AI able to predict that I wouldn't be buying the game and merely using it for cheap laughs and forum jokes.
or
B. Blizzard is full of incompetents.

Now, I won't pretend to guess which of these is true, but let me leave the story with this: After a half dozen emails back and forth over multiple different support tickets (each one of them accusing me of being the problem), I eventually get someone who simply unlocks my account. No questions asked, no verification provided. How is that for security?

As for unique impressions so far in the 15 mins I've played:

- "Upgrade Now - Click your way to 60!". Apparently even Blizzard realizes this is just a clicking simulator.
- Anyone who thinks a non-rotatable perspective projection in an aRPG is a good idea deserves to be nailed to a cross.
- There's a 10s timer to leave a game. Seriously. What? What? What? I'm trying to think of some witty way to make fun of this but I can't dumb myself down to this level.

Kitako

Arcane
- There's a 10s timer to leave a game. Seriously. What? What? What? I'm trying to think of some witty way to make fun of this but I can't dumb myself down to this level.
Good to see they are slowly improving, back in my times (in WOW) the timer was 20s

Kraszu

Prophet
I guess that the counter is to prevent you from running out of danger by leaving the game.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
This game is actually pretty fun. I don't like the fixed ability-unlock system, but it's still fun to kill shit.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Yes, fucking expansion pack delivering money grubbing bastards. In fact, why do people make games at all? Greedy motherfuckers.

ITT, kodex kool points.

abija

Prophet
Anyone who thinks a non-rotatable perspective projection in an aRPG is a good idea deserves to be nailed to a cross.
You should go organize a ceremonial suicide together with all the retards who ruined games with shity camera movement because the publishers asked for 3D.

Ignatius Reilly

Scholar
I don't think the whole DECLINE thing applies to Diablo 3 since the series has always been based on you doing mindless, repetitive bull-shit for hours only because it taps into that drip-feed reward system that your brain loves so much. People who cite Diablo 2 as being this "complex" and "deep" RPG are beyond delusional and borderline retarded. As much as people love to hate on D3, I'm sorry, but it's not even close to the blasphemy of say, DA2, which goes out of it's way to shit all over the cRPG genre.

tldr; ARPGs are dumb and always have been dumb -- but still fun solely for the joy of exploding things, which is what D3 does really damn well.

DraQ

Arcane
I don't think the whole DECLINE thing applies to Diablo 3 since the series has always been based on you doing mindless, repetitive bull-shit for hours only because it taps into that drip-feed reward system that your brain loves so much.
D1?

People who cite Diablo 2 as being this "complex" and "deep" RPG are beyond delusional and borderline retarded.
I don't know anyone who would refer to any Diablo as an RPG, complex or not.

Stabwound

Arcane
I think that's mostly so you can't just rapid fire exit a game to avoid a death, especially in hardcore mode.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I don't think the whole DECLINE thing applies to Diablo 3 since the series has always been based on you doing mindless, repetitive bull-shit for hours only because it taps into that drip-feed reward system that your brain loves so much. People who cite Diablo 2 as being this "complex" and "deep" RPG are beyond delusional and borderline retarded. As much as people love to hate on D3, I'm sorry, but it's not even close to the blasphemy of say, DA2, which goes out of it's way to shit all over the cRPG genre.

tldr; ARPGs are dumb and always have been dumb -- but still fun solely for the joy of exploding things, which is what D3 does really damn well.

Bro, it is much better to simply admit that you like dumbed-down shit, than to make up these elaborate justifications that ultimately make you look extremely silly.

While we're at it, don't create threads in Site Feedback, even when it seems like a perfectly reasonable course of action. That place is not safe.

You will thank me for this advice someday.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
I don't think the whole DECLINE thing applies to Diablo 3 since the series has always been based on you doing mindless, repetitive bull-shit for hours only because it taps into that drip-feed reward system that your brain loves so much.
D1?
Uh....... was your D1 experience not summarized by the above description?

There is this problem here where people tend to take the age of a game as proof of its goodness.

Seriously, Ignatius Reilly :bro: Fuckin nailed it.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
Diablo 3 is a lesser version of Diablo 2 at all chapters, only 4 players in a game, auto-level, auto-stats, auto-play, ridiculous item stats, wizard wands can roll with 200 strength and a barbarian skill, the list may continue indefinite, its like Diablo franchise is going backwards, involution is the new evolution.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Well, you still have a LOT of options for the sort of build you want to run. Levelling up itself is sort of unexciting, but it can be really fun if you pick a character build/concept and make yourself stick to it.

Stabwound

Arcane
The biggest surprise to me is that the character system is the one thing I think is better than D2. I raged like never before when the game wasn't out yet, but having played Torchlight 2, skill trees are just not the way to go. Path of Exile looks like it does an awesome job with it, though. I loved FF7's materia system and FF10's sphere grid and and it is a straight up copy of both.

I still find D3 fun in spurts, but I have no idea how people can spurg out 1000+ hours on the game. It's beyond explanation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom