Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Relic on WWII, Consoles, & Dark Crusade

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Interview ]</strong>

<p>GamesIndustry.biz, true to their name, sat down to talk business with <a href="http://www.relic.com/" title="Relic">Relic's</a> general manager, Ron Moravek. There's several interesting tidbits, like Relic's view of the overcrowded WWII setting.</p><blockquote><p>What about the argument that there are already too many RTS games or World War II games out there? </p><p>Well, I think because games are so much more expensive and so much more complex, you're really seeing a divide in terms of the ultra-high quality versus the low quality. There's fewer people making higher-end games. But I think in terms of World War II and strategy, this is the first triple A World War II RTS that's ever been done. </p><p>I was talking earlier about movies - we counted them, and there's maybe 80 or 90 World War II movies made prior to Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, Enemy at the Gates; yet those came out and were absolute hits. Why is that? Well, World War II has become modern day mythology, and people still have a huge interest in it.</p></blockquote><p>First triple A WWII RTS? I'm sure Stormregion, Nival, Fireglow, and half a dozen other companies would beg to differ. Moving on, Relic is considering making the console scene.</p><blockquote><p>Do you have any plans to bring Company of Heroes to consoles?</p><p>We're keeping a close eye on it. We've done a lot of work to see how we would do it, and we same to the same conclusion as I think the Lord of the Rings guys did; we're watching Lord of the Rings going to 360 very closely. Because if it's successful, I think there's a good chance we could bring Company of Heroes and even Dawn of War over.</p></blockquote><p>I can't imagine Dawn of War on a console would go over well with all the WH40K fanatics. Lord of the Rings is a totally different property. But make sure you read the rest of the interview. It's interesting to see where the top RTS developer around stands and where they're headed.</p><p>In related news, Relic's Jonny Ebert has another unit profile at IGN for Warhammer 40K: Dark Crusade covering the Necron Resurrection ability.</p><blockquote><p>The Force Commander comes running in at the last minute and calls down a massive orbital bombardment, thinking that he can end the threat once and for all. And the orbital bombardment does succeed in killing the entire Necron army.

But the Necron Lord has other ideas, and uses his Resurrection Orb to cast Mass Resurrection. This spell brings his entire army back to life, and seals the Force Commander's fate. </p></blockquote><p>It's the HoMM5 Necropolis faction all over again! </p><p>Read: <a href="http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=18612" title="Relic Interview">Relic Interview</a> </p><p>Also: <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/721/721488p1.html" title="Necron Profile">Necron Resurrection Profile</a></p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamesindustry.biz/index.php">GamesIndustry</a></p>

Jason

chasing a bee
I think a lot of people are expecting the BFME2 port on the 360 to sell like gangbusters. So Relic and the other RTS folks have dollar signs in their eyes. Besides, the Outfit wasn't really Relic's standard RTS gig.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
baby arm said:
I think a lot of people are expecting the BFME2 port on the 360 to sell like gangbusters. So Relic and the other RTS folks have dollar signs in their eyes. Besides, the Outfit wasn't really Relic's standard RTS gig.

If BfME2 does sell well on the 360, I'd say it would be due more to the lisence then the genre or game. Personally, I can't imagine trying to micro with a gamepad.

Ryuken

Liturgist
Cataclysm wasn't done by Relic, KC. The rest are great games yeah.

"But I think in terms of World War II and strategy, this is the first triple A World War II RTS that's ever been done."

Terrible, stupid statement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom