Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I was thinking........

Jiub

Novice
So.....yeah, i don't really have any good games to play right now (only fifa world cup, but right now i'm in the mood for a good rpg..) so that means that all of my hopes are on AoD. I'm really hyped about this game..... Don't dissapoint me! :evil:

Today I was thinking about what kind of character i would like to create and what skills to choose. (right now i don't have what people like to call a "LIFE") so my whole day revolves around eating, sleeping, and day dreaming about the "perfect" rpg...) My problem is that i don't know what skillz i would want to put on my character cuz there so many good ones. So my question is, how many skills can i choose? Do you tag skillz like in Fallout? or do i get points to waste on what ever skill i want? Oh, and anyone who's planning on buying this game, tell me what kind of character your planning on making. So that i can get ideas.. :idea:

I need a fucking life....... :cry:
Jiub

whatusername

Scholar
If I ever do get this game, I'd get a big, strong, muscular Orc with uber spells and shit.

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
I usually don't plan ahead. It depends on my mood at the time I boot up the game. If I am feeling aggressive I build a fighter... if I want more of a challenge I will build an archer or Mage type. Only time will tell since we are banking on being able to download the game sometime this Fall.

To keep you busy if you haven't tried any of these check out a good indie cRPG over at... http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/

Wish I would have heard about this guy before now. I am playing Avernum 4 at the moment and it's pretty damned good. Amazing what a good designer can do with dated graphics. Yeah, the graphics are old school... so if you're a graphics whore (and who hasn't been at one time or another?) then don't bother. But if you like a well made game that is highly entertaining even with graphics from the '90 check them out.

And a quick question just in case somebody out there has played them all... which would you consider the best in the lot?

Jiub

Novice
Paranoid Jack said:
I usually don't plan ahead. It depends on my mood at the time I boot up the game. If I am feeling aggressive I build a fighter... if I want more of a challenge I will build an archer or Mage type. Only time will tell since we are banking on being able to download the game sometime this Fall.

To keep you busy if you haven't tried any of these check out a good indie cRPG over at... http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/

Wish I would have heard about this guy before now. I am playing Avernum 4 at the moment and it's pretty damned good. Amazing what a good designer can do with dated graphics. Yeah, the graphics are old school... so if you're a graphics whore (and who hasn't been at one time or another?) then don't bother. But if you like a well made game that is highly entertaining even with graphics from the '90 check them out.

And a quick question just in case somebody out there has played them all... which would you consider the best in the lot?

I dont really care about graphix that much, maybe i'll buy Avernum. Thank you very much! :)

(EDIT) I dont think there's gonna be any magic in AoD....... ORCS? where!?!? :shock:

whatusername

Scholar
Well, VD has repeatedly mentioned how l33t the magic will be, and how you'll fight traditional RPG monsters, like ponies and stuff.

ad hominem

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
whatusername said:
Well, VD has repeatedly mentioned how l33t the magic will be, and how you'll fight traditional RPG monsters, like ponies and stuff.
Exclusive concept art
You know, I always wondered, do they put ice cream cones and stuff back there to encourage little kids to lick horses' asses? What kind of sick deviant minds are behind "My Little Pony"?

Bradylama

Arcane
Probably the same minds who came up with Strawberry Shortcake, the possibly deliciously edible little girl.

mytgroo

Scholar
I want to be a minotaur

Hey, I want to be a minotaur so I can chase after all the livestock and the women in the game. I'll be hung like a bull.

Lumpy

Arcane
Jiub said:
So.....yeah, i don't really have any good games to play right now (only fifa world cup, but right now i'm in the mood for a good rpg..) so that means that all of my hopes are on AoD. I'm really hyped about this game..... Don't dissapoint me! :evil:

Today I was thinking about what kind of character i would like to create and what skills to choose. (right now i don't have what people like to call a "LIFE") so my whole day revolves around eating, sleeping, and day dreaming about the "perfect" rpg...) My problem is that i don't know what skillz i would want to put on my character cuz there so many good ones. So my question is, how many skills can i choose? Do you tag skillz like in Fallout? or do i get points to waste on what ever skill i want? Oh, and anyone who's planning on buying this game, tell me what kind of character your planning on making. So that i can get ideas.. :idea:

I need a fucking life....... :cry:
Jiub
Uhm... how about making several characters? Each with several skills.
By the way, you don't tag skills, you just distribute points among them, and they all rise equally fast.
I think my first character will be a diplomat, because I find combat quite annoying, and because it will be really refreshing to play a pure diplomatic character. Then, I'll make a thief or assassin, because they will also be combat-light, most likely.

Late

Novice
If I can, I normally start with a Jack of all trades to test out a set of main skills and/or any other (Train all skills to be decent enough to judge). Then create a character with sets of skills I liked. If not, like lumpy said, just create different characters for different roles.

Late

Novice
Sounds like a good idea, but how it will turn out remains to be seen.
Link AoD :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom