Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disney and EA announce multi-year Star Wars deal

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Tie Fighter, XWing Alliance, Dark Forces, Mysteries of the Sith.

If feeling desperate - Jedi Academy, KotOR 2, Rebellion, X-wing.
If feeling REALLY desperate - Jedi Knight, Jedi Outcast, KotOR 1.

Rest of the star wars games were pretty forgettable.

So yeah. Only 4-11 star wars games worth wasting your time on.

Keshik

Arcane
Wouldn't class Rebellion or X-Wing under desperate myself - the former is an acquired taste but I did like how they handled intel in the game. Still wish I had actually passed that X-Wing training simulator.

As for EA touching this, can't really generate much concern at this point to be honest.

DemonKing

Arcane
I guess KOTOR 3 is go then, plus the inevitable Battlefield Star Wars. That leaves Visceral to do the 3rd Person actioneer/lightsabre simulator? I'd rather more stuff set around the time of the OT but I guess we can fully expect stuff to tie in to the new Disney movies.

Sadly I can't imagine any spaceflight simulators aka Tie Fighter coming out of this deal (although inevitably X-wings will be tacked onto BFSW). Also not sure if EA still have the chops to produce a half decent RTS either.

There have been some decent (and even great) SW games produced in the past but not for at least 8 years by my count. I guess EA can't do any worse than Lucasarts was doing.

Divinity: Original Sin

republic commando. A popamole, corridor FPS, at least without lightsabers.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

republic commando. A popamole, corridor FPS, at least without lightsabers.
Wasn't Battlefront 2 better?

circ

Arcane

Empire at War is playable IMO. Space battles look nice, land not so much.

Also, back when the new trilogy came out Lucas was whoring out the brand for movie tie-in games, and most of those were crap. Podracer though was fine, that I remember.
So these are probably just tie-ins.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Rebellion is cool. Especially for it's time.

Kirtai

Augur
I guess EA can't do any worse than Lucasarts was doing.
I'm going to make a note of this prediction.

Feel free - I feel reasonably confident of this prediction although that's not to say that I expect miracles (ie another Tie Fighter, Dark Forces II or KOTOR).
Well, it's more that I'm expecting them to do dark miracles, with games that make the worst of Lucasarts looks like marvels of the gamemakers craft. I hope I'm wrong.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Horrible news. Just plain horrible. Hopefully Bioware can help get Obsidian to make RPG they were trying to pitch? This is making me nervous."

I doubt it. Obsidian's main connection to BIo was the docs so now with the docs gone nobody in power at BIIO/EA likely gives a shit about the long ties between Obsidian foudners and Bioware founders.

Alas, this means no more piggybacking for sequel crumbs.

NO MOREEE RIDES, OBSIDIAN, NO MORE FREE RIDES!!!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Cool, another utterly terrible Bioware RPG upcoming. On the bright side, it's definitely going to bring a lot of lulz so I approve of this shit.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
A Bioware movie tie-in rpg. It will be glorious!
:popamole:

Of course they can go Batman Arkham route, but they probably won't, because you know, jews.

bonescraper

Somebody forgot Shadows of the Empire. That game was the tits back in the day.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They moved the old Mass Effect team to work on some MYSTARY project. Perhaps this is what they are working on then....

So how do you do cover shooting with a Light Saber?

Kirtai

Augur
They moved the old Mass Effect team to work on some MYSTARY project. Perhaps this is what they are working on then....

So how do you do cover shooting with a Light Saber?
Press X to crouch behind the sabre and watch the game play itself deflect shots for you.

circ

Arcane
Mass Effect is pretty much a Star Wars game already with bionics being a cheap force rip-off. You barely have to touch the assets even with the way the franchise has ended up now. Maybe throw in a Millennium Falcon shoot em up segment like in Jade Empire.

Ok I want you to give the asari some new colors. And um hey, can you write some shit about how Twi'leks lost their tentacle thingies and now look like asari? Super.
Hmm ok make the what are the mole guys called? Yeah like that Stanley guy. Uhuh. Yeah make them jawas. They gotta wear suits off Tatooine. That'll work.
What can we do with that guy Garrus' race? Oh hey, let's make it a little more leathery here... Yeah, that's kinda like Vong no? I like it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mass Effect is pretty much a Star Wars game already

Not really. Star Wars was based on 1940s comics and serials. Mass Effect is inspired by 80s science fiction literature such as Frederick Pohl's Gateway. It's a totally different feel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom