Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #40: Beta Released!

Tigranes

Arcane
If you play slow, health regen will make a difference. If you play fast - i.e. don't listen to all the voiceover, use hotkeys to quickly do shit, don't take 3 minutes walking back and forth for no reason - then you'll always b e wounded when you start fights.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
BTW, it's just me, or the secondary weapon slot is completely useless? I can equip two weapons, but I can't swap between then... there's nothing on the UI, and I checked the reference card and there's no shortcut as well...

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
If you play slow, health regen will make a difference. If you play fast - i.e. don't listen to all the voiceover, use hotkeys to quickly do shit, don't take 3 minutes walking back and forth for no reason - then you'll always b e wounded when you start fights.

In other words if you have ADHD.

Runciter

Augur
What is this, Steam? Windows? If anyone wants my beta key I'll sell it for .113 BTC (unless Blaine wants it, in which case it will be 1.130 BTC).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
BTW, it's just me, or the secondary weapon slot is completely useless? I can equip two weapons, but I can't swap between then... there's nothing on the UI, and I checked the reference card and there's no shortcut as well...
Press X to switch weapons. The reference card is useless, check the keybindings in options to see all the commands.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Press X to switch weapons. The reference card is useless, check the keybindings in options to see all the commands.
Thanks. Quite lame it doesn't have any button on the UI for that. =P

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
So basically, the health-regen in Wasteland 2 is such a splendidly sinister abomination that it not only forces itself upon unsuspecting monocled gentlemen like some HIV-ridden jungle-monkey alley-rapist, but actually ignores all those degenerate console-bred axshun gaimerz who secretly crave its intrusive back-door stimulation.

Despite the horror of it all, I cannot help but feel a little bit impressed. :salute:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I realize it's a bit ironic that those who play the game in a more contemplative fashion will be potentially the only ones who "benefit" from the slowly-regenerating health mechanic, but that's not the point. The point is that, as already stated, it trivializes many of the other mechanics in the game such as medical skills, bandages, med kits and the like, as well as the point of them even being there in the first place.

You can argue all you want that it's only a bother to those who let it be, but I'll never concede that magical health regen is ever a good thing. Convenience be damned. Streamlining can go to hell. I want my difficulty, I want my depth of play, I want my challenge.

Tigranes

Arcane
Oh, I don't like it either, even though I play faster than most so it doesn't effect me as much. I'm hoping there's a way to turn it off - Brother None ?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

InXile secretly punishing CoD crowd at our expense.

FaChoi

Educated
The point is that, as already stated, it trivializes many of the other mechanics in the game such as medical skills, bandages, med kits and the like, as well as the point of them even being there in the first place.

Thank you crispy, I've just realised that this partially kills the Captain Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce character I was going to build, maybe I'll still get to do some meatball surgery on various NPC's for my roleplaying fix.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The point is that, as already stated, it trivializes many of the other mechanics in the game such as medical skills, bandages, med kits and the like, as well as the point of them even being there in the first place.
Thank you crispy, I've just realised that this partially kills the Captain Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce character I was going to build, maybe I'll still get to do some meatball surgery on various NPC's for my roleplaying fix.
Go for it. You wanna dive into this game without a single surgeon character I salute your bravery, wish you the best of luck, and hope you like reloading. A lot.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You can argue all you want that it's only a bother to those who let it be, but I'll never concede that magical health regen is ever a good thing.
Yes, because humans use magic to heal. Who knew that magic existed in real life and that it is so common?

I haven't played the beta yet because I just started the download, but if it's the way I understand it, the easy and elegant fix would be to remove the in-location health regen and leave just the health regen that happens when travelling over the worldmap and during rest, like in Fallout 1&2.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Besides, it renders some mechanics completly pointless... on the Ag. Center there's poison gas in some areas. But it deals only something like 1 damage every minute... and the HP regens like 2-3 every 2 minutes, so even while poisoned you're regenerating health!

Also, the loot system need serious re-thinking. I hate random loot instead of handplaced, but I get that they didn't have the time/budget, yadayadyada.... but the current random system sucks. Every container has the same "value", so you can find ammo and health on a unlocked chest in the middle of the corridor, and find absolutely nothing in the locked safe that you had to use 3 skills to reach. To "solve" this, InXile placed tons of containers in hard to reach areas, but that only means you're opening 4-5 chests and getting shitty rewards. They should implement different loot tables and rank the containers accordingly... it's just annoying that those piles of dirt you dig have the same loot that safes.

Go for it. You wanna dive into this game without a single surgeon character I salute your bravery, wish you the best of luck, and hope you like reloading. A lot.
I'm playing on Ranger difficulty, just finished Ag. Center and never had to use a Blood Pack. Got 13 them on my bag, and 16 painkillers... and I'm not cheesing with the HP regen.

leave just the health regen that happens when travelling over the worldmap and during rest, like in Fallout 1&2.

Worldmap/resting regen in FO was pretty lame too. I'd have gone with a healing resource instead of that water resource thing that appears to be just a gimmick from what felipepe is saying anyway.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes, because humans use magic to heal. Who knew that magic existed in real life and that it is so common?

I haven't played the beta yet because I just started the download, but if it's the way I understand it, the easy and elegant fix would be to remove the in-location health regen and leave just the health regen that happens when travelling over the worldmap and during rest, like in Fallout 1&2.
There's no real resting in this game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm playing on Ranger difficulty, just finished Ag. Center and never had to use a Blood Pack. Got 13 them on my bag, and 16 painkillers... and I'm not cheesing with the HP regen.

One of the first areas in the game? Impressive!

Perhaps you should keep playing.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Besides, it renders some mechanics completly pointless... on the Ag. Center there's poison gas in some areas. But it deals only something like 1 damage every minute... and the HP regens like 2-3 every 2 minutes, so even while poisoned you're regenerating health!

lol

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm glad this is turning out to to be the travesty I said it'd be.

Worst even, the skills checks don't have critical failures like in Fallout. So you can keep trying to open a door/chest with 20% until it opens.
*critical failure*
*reload*

This whole approach is fundamentally flawed. Man who could have foreseen something like--oh right.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

You're trolling of course, but if you'll notice, the Codex is on the whole receiving the beta remarkably well (better than even my optimistic self expected) so a travesty it really ain't.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

You're trolling of course, but if you'll notice, the Codex is on the whole receiving the beta remarkably well (better than even my optimistic self expected) so a travesty it really ain't.
Really, because I'm seeing "boring combat, dumb and negligible C&C, lies about the fixed camera angle."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom