Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Technical issues with PST

Gondolin

Arcane
I'm not sure whether it's OK to post this here or not, but I don't know any other place where I could get some help. My problem is that the game crashes upon leaving the Mortuary, whether by portal or the front gate. Anyone can help me with this? I'm using Windows XP.

Gondolin

Arcane
Unfortunately, it does not. I cleared the cache, but it wasn't enough. The game starts loading a cutscene or something (I can't recall what it is because I haven't played this game in years), because it shows the stone slabs in the Mortuary and then it freezes and Windows asks me if I want to send an error report.

aries202

Erudite
-ehm-

You did choose to play the game in win 95 or win 98 mode? I think you need to do this to get game to work properly on windows XP. I also seem to recall a patch that makes this game playable on windows XP, but I can remember if this is correct or not :?:

MetalCraze

Arcane
strange. I never experienced any problems with running PS:T on WinXP. even without compatibility mode.

though I always installed that only patch for PS:T - but I think it does nothing except for fixing bugs.

but try compatibility mode and this may sound crazy but if you have new videocard - try installing the oldest drivers possible. I know that this may not be a reason. but try. the solution is always the most simple one but the least obvious.

Gondolin

Arcane
Thanks for the replies, people.

No, my version of the game is not haxored to death. Yes I have installed both the official patch and the unofficial one. Yes, I set the game to be Win 95/98 compatible. And it still doesn't work.

My video card is a Radeon X1800 and I'm not sure I want to install old drivers. :(
I mean, I hope there's another way about it.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
If you haven't already, download the no-cd patch from http://www.planescape-torment.org/?page=mods, and follow the instructions in the crack's nfo file.

Not sure if that'll actually fix anything. I believe the cutscene is the one, where the shadows gather around the slab you woke up on, and I don't see why that would crash. You could try messing around with the Torment.ini file, see if setting some of the sound/gfx related settings to 0 fixes anything. Do take a backup though, I don't know what might happen :?

http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/plane ... 14703.html

Gondolin

Arcane
Thanks for the Gamebanshee link. It's the same problem, only I didn't get any file corruption errors because I installed the game from images, not from actual CDs. I don't think I need the no CD patch because the .ini file already points to my hard drive. BTW, anybody knows why is there a path for a fifth CD? I don't think this game ever came on five CDs.

fastpunk

Arbiter
I strongly recommend you to go to the graphics configuration menu and fiddle with the settings a bit. If I remember right, the cutscene that causes the crash shows a bunch of shadows appearing near the slab where TNO woke up. Those shadows are semi-transparent so try to change any setting related to transparency. Try different configurations, it might work. :wink:

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Gondolin said:
BTW, anybody knows why is there a path for a fifth CD? I don't think this game ever came on five CDs.

First release (at least in Poland) was on 5 CDs.

Last release was 2 CDs.

MetalCraze

Arcane
fastpunk said:
Those shadows are semi-transparent so try to change any setting related to transparency. Try different configurations, it might work. :wink:

well yep - it looks like it's a videocard's fault pretty much then. also ATi is known to me for dropping support for the games that is more than 4 years old with each bunch of new drivers. if nothing will help I still suggest you installing the oldest drivers possible - though I'm not sure if such solution will help as X1800 is still a pretty new videocard.

if that won't work - I suggest you try to delete drivers. Infinity Engine of PST works without videocard's hardware support. and the game is well worth such pain in the butt.

Gondolin

Arcane
well yep - it looks like it's a videocard's fault pretty much then.

Seems so.

if that won't work - I suggest you try to delete drivers. Infinity Engine of PST works without videocard's hardware support. and the game is well worth such pain in the butt.

Well, yeah, but I have other games on my hard drive that require those drivers. I'll think about it. Anyway, thanks for the help, people.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Last sugggestion: from the ati control panel, did you set anti-aliasing or anisotropic filtering to override game settings? If so then you might want to turn off the overrides as they usually cause problems.

Risine

Liturgist
I played it some weeks ago and had many crashes during the first hours ( and also bugs concerning the visual of the spells which were corrupted ).
I changed my video card NVidia drivers to the old Omega driver 1.4345 and it worked fine ( I mean some crashes from time to time, but nothing more ).

MetalCraze

Arcane
Gondolin said:
Well, yeah, but I have other games on my hard drive that require those drivers. I'll think about it. Anyway, thanks for the help, people.

I'm probably a friggin' purist but I still think that it's impossible to play PS:T along with other games... you know... the storyline must flow purely - without anything intervening in between. but I'm pretty sure you know how PS:T storyline is important.

also try what fastpunk suggested. on my GeForce 6600 I never had any problems in IE games with overriding, however unlike 6600 - X1800 has sprite antialiasing hardware support - so I think it really may mess with the game.

Gondolin

Arcane
fastpunk said:
Last sugggestion: from the ati control panel, did you set anti-aliasing or anisotropic filtering to override game settings? If so then you might want to turn off the overrides as they usually cause problems.

Nope, the acceleration software does not override game settings. But I have good news. I've solved the problem, in a manner of speaking. As soon as the "Shadows Will Follow" movie started I hit escape. Stupid of me not to think of this sooner. I had a second or so until the shadows actually appear. Time enough to press escape and skip the movie.

@ Mayday: The Hive opening movie that follows froze toward the end, so I recommend skipping that one too. Actually, I think I'll have to skip every goddam movie in the game. It's not good, but at least I get to play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom