Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The MORALITY of piracy

Slylandro

Scholar
aron searle said:
EULA's are complete crap though in that you have to buy the product, BEFORE you can agree to the contract.

He was refering however to a sale of plagurized goods, which is a verbal contract of "I will sell you X for X", when what you are selling is not what you claim it to be.

If you cant see the difference, thats your problem

Stop being retarded. He said earlier that he didn't feel piracy was immoral. Then he goes on to talk about his contract fetish during your plagiarism discussion, when one of the whole points why piracy is immoral is because it represents a violation of contract. I was pointing out this contradiction to him and I couldn't care less about the actual topic of plagiarism. If you can't follow a basic conversation, that's your own problem. As for EULAs, you don't have a point there either. It should be obvious that there are 2 contracts. Between the developer and the user, and between the distributor and the buyer. The EULA represents the former, your $40 satisfies the latter. It would be pointless to do a hypothetical pre-purchase EULA because that would mean once the software had changed hands that the contract would be void. It might be possible to come up with a (likely convoluted) scheme that does have a pre-purchase EULA, but you have to be honest about this-- anyone who actually relies on this kind of technicality to pirate software is not genuinely interested in the __moral__ aspect anyway, which is what this thread is about.

aron searle

Arcane
Stop being retarded.

Ignorance is bliss, so id much rather stay as I am thanks.

As for EULAs, you don't have a point there either.

Yea, cause contracts you cant see before the purchase of the goods are enforceable in court, I mean I can just point to all the examples of it being enforced, oh wait…

There are already existing copyright laws, EULA’s are not required to enforce these. I’m not using EULA technicalities to argue for or against piracy, I’m simply pointing out their irrelevance to the issue, I would also argue that they are an unfair type of contract.

and I couldn't care less about the actual topic of plagiarism.

Then your missing the point, in terms of damage done it’s the same as plagiarism, in that your only stealing potential revenue. So if you think that’s bollocks and piracys fine, then so is plagiarism by the same logic.
if you don’t care about that, then please continue not caring and just shut up.

Digitalos

Novice
Question:

If you spent time creating something with the intent to sell it for profit, and you found people who were copying it and distributing it for free - would you be ok with that - why?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom