Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What RTS do you play for the lulz?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I tried to play the Russian postapocalyptic RTS "Desert Law" just for the lulz, but - as is my usual experience with such games - the pathfinding killed it for me.

Atrokkus

Erudite
These days, I mostly just play Warcraft 3 TFT on battle.net in arranged team (2x2) mode with my friendo. In my mind, WC3 1x1 is only fun if you play it "for profit", whereas just playing it from time to time is kinda boring. 2x2, on the other hand, is very well done in WC3 and fun/interesting no matter what. (as long as you play it with a person you know, and use TeamSpeak or Skype or something).

Also, nothing beats an occasinal Starcraft 1x1 with some random wannabe-progamers on the battle.net.

Though for ultimate "for-fun-ness" I'd rather pick Counter-Strike, because playing RTS like Starcraft requires much more effort and may become a bit too strenous an activity if you're half-drunk and just looking to mash some buttons.

Texas Red

Whiner
So none of you seem to have mentioned Starcraft. I loved the game because of the story and that Alexei was Russian, but imo, I don't see a reason why it should be so widely played.

mlc82

Scholar
Age of Empires 2 and Warcraft 2 are still my favorites- really just about the only ones I actually like.

Rise of Nations was entertaining but really just made me want to play Civilization instead.

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
Dark Individual said:
So none of you seem to have mentioned Starcraft. I loved the game because of the story and that Alexei was Russian, but imo, I don't see a reason why it should be so widely played.
Atrokkus said:
Also, nothing beats an occasinal Starcraft 1x1 with some random wannabe-progamers on the battle.net.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
dawn of war: dark crusade with the FoK mod (firestorm over kronus)

the Fok Mod isnt finished yet (beta 0.3) but so far its amazing. it has some drastic gameplay changes that make DoW play a bit more like 40k tabletop / the units feel more like their tt counterparts. or stuff like not beeing able to reinforce unless your unit is near buildings / troop transport vehicles. new abilities etc etc.

and its not just a rebalance mod, it also features tons upon tons of custom content that rivals (or mostly flatout beats....) relics/iron lore s stuff.

each race has tons of new units and tons of revised old units that look much better than the originals. hate to sound like a graphicswhore but DoW:FoK is easily the best looking RTS out there. the whole 40k charm comes alive as well with the lots of love for detail all the new and old units have, randomization of squads etc etc....

downsides:

-given its a mod with 7 races its obviously far from balanced for competive MP. who gives a fuck anyhow, its a shit ton of fun at least and thats what matters to me, not whether i m winning/losing cause one of 7 races has certain advantages over others.

-doesnt work with the singleplayer campaign, but you can play skirmishes against the PC and the AI is okay given how much they changed the gameplay. it occasionally fucks up (like having troops that deal zero damage to buildings still attacking buildings...) but overall you can set up some fun compstomps.

freaking shame relic couldnt add a proper mission editor to their game (like blizzard did with SC/WC ), mods like FoK, steel legion, demonhunt etc. with self-made singleplayer campaign would rock.....

Started playing Company of Heroes after picking it up for a song on Steam. Its amazing, I rarely stay on for long after finishing unlocking the tech tree but the game is great, the missions have enough variety. I fucking love it.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
the Fok Mod isnt finished yet (beta 0.3) but so far its amazing.
By amazing you must mean shitty. Making the game play "more like tabletop" is total lulz, it does nothing of the sort, it just makes DoW a shitty video game.

gretty

Novice
I play Act of War: High Treason, its not many games where you get to use a Russian bomber Tu-90 Blackbird so COOL!! Just wish you could us a B52 aswell. Does anyone know a game where you get B52's to use in a RTS game? :)

Shoelip

Arbiter
What if I said Nero?

Ok, actually I'd be lying. In fact I don't play RTS games for 'Lulz' because I'm not very good at them. Though I might play Metal Fatigue if I was any good at it didn't crash so much. That game was so much fun...

I played allot more of them in the past.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Tiberian Sun sometimes. Guess I just love post-apoc too much.
Was firing up AoE2 before that years ago as a RTS-for-the-lulz.

Letum Fol

Novice
I have a couple actually. It's usually between Rise of Nations and Warcraft 3, although lately I seem to be playing Company of Heroes a lot.

goatvomit

Eau de Rapax
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Total annihilation + taucp + 5k units patch on some simple but large metal map against a custom ai if no friends are available. Too bad the pathfinding turns completely atrocious after a while and the only units which don't get stuck are the planes. Once you have enough Karganeths going things get really interesting, that is before they get stuck and you have to micromanage everything. Honorable mention to AoE2.

Destroid

Arcane
Brood War, Dawn of War (original), Company of Heroes, Homeworld 2 (PDS). Want to get into supreme commander now that my computer can handle it.

Data4

Arcane
SupCom:FA. Quickly gain air superiority, then basically rule the map by containing the enemy in a relatively small area around his base. Meanwhile, build the fuck out of nukes, pick a nice spot to observe from ground level, and watch the rain of lulz begin.

ushdugery

Scholar
Starcraft or red alert for lulz I guess but Wc3 for the dota and other custom maps and the lulz.

Destroid

Arcane
I found RoL to be pretty shit because they took RoN and fucked it all up.

EDIT: Needs moar dark reign. Tachyon tanks fuck yeah!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom