Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Panting beast between your legs would fail to do it justice

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Mount & Blade

... <a href="http://www.jolt.co.uk/index.php?articleid=11623">or so say Jolt about Mount & Blade</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>After spending a week with the beta code for Mount & Blade, it’s tempting to mischievously refer to it as Horses & Swords. That said, limiting the description of Turkish independent developers TaleWorlds’ take on wandering the land with your weapon in your hand and a panting beast between your legs would fail to do it justice, as there’s far more to it than it. But don’t worry if you’re an admirer of the equine form or sharp weaponry, as there’s plenty of both.
<br>
<br>
Although Mount & Blade can best be described as an action-RPG, you should banish any thoughts of Baldur’s Gate or Diablo as it’s more along the lines of a medieval land-based version of the Sid Meier classic Pirates. Set in the 13 th century, Mount & Blade eschews magic and fantasy in favour of an earthier simulation of the life a travelling swordsman. After treating you to a tutorial mode offering the holy grail of a true RPG – namely, the hero stripping down to his underpants for no apparent reason – you’ll be offered a number of scenarios to fill in your character’s back story.</blockquote>
<br>
They compare it to Pirates!. <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1365">You can also read RPGDot's first-look</a>.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPGWatch</a>

I actually just started playing M&B again yesterday. Signing up with a kingdom at level 4 proved to be a bad idea, because I'm now being bullied into joining a siege in which I'm hilariously outclassed. But as soon as I give up, bite the bullet and flee to the other side of the civilized world I'm sure I'll be right back to enjoying it. Anyway, is it worth buying the full version? I have a sneaking suspicion that levels 8+ just offer more of the same, but with slightly bigger battles and sharper swords.

Admiral jimbob said:
Anyway, is it worth buying the full version? I have a sneaking suspicion that levels 8+ just offer more of the same, but with slightly bigger battles and sharper swords.
Yes that’s about the size of it; much like Todd’s vision of the quintessential RPG it’s all about riding around on a horse and killing things. Actually the size of the battles and the sharpness of the swords cap out very rapidly - native M&B gets old fast. However it's well worth buying for the mods and to support a quality indie developer. Once the core build stabilises we can look forward to some major new/updated mods.

Shoelip

Arbiter
muds_animal_friend said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Anyway, is it worth buying the full version? I have a sneaking suspicion that levels 8+ just offer more of the same, but with slightly bigger battles and sharper swords.
Yes that’s about the size of it; much like Todd’s vision of the quintessential RPG it’s all about riding around on a horse and killing things. Actually the size of the battles and the sharpness of the swords cap out very rapidly - native M&B gets old fast. However it's well worth buying for the mods and to support a quality indie developer. Once the core build stabilises we can look forward to some major new/updated mods.

Except for the extremely important differences that you don't have to get off your horse to kill things, and it's overall a hell of allot more fun and less retarded.

The graphics are also much better if you care more about detail than bloom.

SlavemasterT

Arcane
Jimbob said:
I haven't played it since the .753 build so I'm not up to date on how the game has progressed, but to this day I still think it was one of the best 14 bucks I spent on a computer game, even if it was only a beta at the time. It was inexpensive enough to make the cheapskate in me happy and fun enough to spend months playing, so yeah, I thought it was worth it.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Definitely more than worth the twelve dollars I paid for it.

Fenril

Scholar
MnB Got alot better with time and there are good deal of mods.

If you like freeform games and realtime combat that takes player skill you owe yourself to put in at least 50 hours into a a MnB game, also not going past level 8 is going to severely harm your opinion of the game, I cant concieve forming an opinion on it without that limitation, its just completely retarded.

Early on your crappy horse handles like shit, you cant move past a sluggish pace on foot and your weapon handling is again shit, you cant get into the trading aspect and start changing between high level gear for different situations, all this should be logical for everyone since all your proficiencies are stat based. Level 8 is nothing.

Also you can never gather a large force in your group and explore the command tactical side among a dozen other aspects which only come in full force when you have a high level character and party.

I think Taleworlds should have set up the "demo limit" in a hardcoded playing hour counter or something instead of using the level limitation, I hope no other tards are passing judgement on the game based on the first 8 levels.

Way back in the day I bought a key for around 12 bucks I think, giving me access to all future versions, all in all It was the best game buy I did in recent years by far considering the many many hours I spent on different games and mods.

I don't think anyone was judging the game based on the first 8 levels, I just wasn't certain as to whether it offered anything different enough to be worth paying for beyond them.

Anyway, thanks for the replies, I'll probably get it later. If only because the Lord with 50+ men who keeps ambushing me to avenge his pal is really starting to annoy me and I want to be able to kick his ass.

Bradylama

Arcane
Did anyone else notice the obvious humor or am I the only one capable of perceiving simple jokes?

M&B is definitely worth the 10bux I paid a year ago now that I can still use the old serial with all the new gameplay. I'd say it's worth 25 bux too.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Dire Roach said:
Fantasy, to us, is about a knight with a panting beast between his legs, running around and stabbing things.

Stabbing isn't that great from a horse. Either use a couched lance to run down and insta kill your enemies, a sword and swing it along the side, or a ranged weapon and run away while picking them off.

Bradylama

Arcane
Stabbing from horseback is actually very useful since you have that armor-piercing attack combined with the sword's chopping versatility.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom