Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

DayofBlow

Educated
In Dragon Age Origins:

- most powerful NPC is a female who has a fight you're basically meant to lose
- tons and tons of "muh stong warrior wimmen" characters. Females have full equality to men and can even inherit lands
- zevran is a manwhore, if you reject his advances too rudely he'll call you small minded and bigoted
- majority of thedas is neither homophobic
- the chantry only allows women to assume positions of great power
- both chantries worship a woman as its savior
- the qunari place women at a ton of leadership roles, they control all breeding and place whos who into roles at puberty
-Elves are "muh oppressed peepls living in ghettos", white human males are portrayed as their aggressors.

Basically the series was hard into SJW shit from the start

Kinda. It was before the 2010s virtue signaling ultra zealous SJW infestation. So the tropes aren't yet the horribly preachy, condescending and disingenous iterations Bio games grew to have, starting with DA2. It's inoffensive, comes across more like a genuine attempt than purely a recepticle for ideology. That's why a lot of people who hate it in DA2-DAI didn't mind that shit.

Frozen

Arcane
most powerful NPC is a female who has a fight you're basically meant to lose
wat
the fight where you lose and go to prison, it's definitely the hardest fight in the game and really isn't designed for you to win(but it's possible)

If you mean at the end when you kill that Tim Curry traitor character and Logan's girl second in command comes with a bunch of archers its not that difficult, you just need to use space and angels.
Kaxxgang or whatever is the hardest and that expansion end boss (that is also end boss in stupid DA:2)

DayofBlow

Educated
In Dragon Age Origins:

- tons and tons of "muh stong warrior wimmen" characters. Females have full equality to men and can even inherit lands
- zevran is a manwhore, if you reject his advances too rudely he'll call you small minded and bigoted
- the qunari place women at a ton of leadership roles, they control all breeding and place whos who into roles at puberty
-Elves are "muh oppressed peepls living in ghettos", white human males are portrayed as their aggressors.

Kinda. It was before the 2010s virtue signaling ultra zealous SJW infestation. So the tropes aren't yet the horribly preachy, condescending and disingenous iterations Bio games grew to have, starting with DA2. It's inoffensive, comes across more like a genuine attempt than purely a recepticle for ideology. That's why a lot of people who hate it in DA2-DAI didn't mind that shit.

I might be the only person who hated DA2 for being a lazy shitty game

People hate it for that too. But I was more talking about why DAO gets away with the shit you wrote.

Frozen

Arcane
In Dragon Age Origins:

You are overstretching...it doesn't matter if subject is SJW (in Origins it wasn't) the point is other games are shit and SJW themes are just a cherry on a top.
Clear example- by the end of Origins you have something like 50 abilities in compare to Inquisition where you have like 8 and 6 are useless.
First Dragon Age was if nothing else a game with lots of effort put into it, other games are just a cash grab with as little effort and production values as possible.

Cael

Arcane
In Dragon Age Origins:

Cutherien isn't hard to take down. She is only hard for idiots who think that scouting, luring and ambushing/alpha strike is cheating and that charging the gates in broad daylight is how games are meant to be played.

DayofBlow

Educated
In Dragon Age Origins:

Cutherien isn't hard to take down. She is only hard for idiots who think that scouting, luring and ambushing/alpha strike is cheating and that charging the gates in broad daylight is how games are meant to be played.

Kite her out the door, stomp her face, loot her sword, go out, let the bowmen kill you, do the bonus gimmick escape dungeon, go to the Landsmeet, see she's alive because the game checks whether you lost the fight, kill her again, get second copy of her sword. Mint.

Can't you steal a third one off of a ghost?

Cael

Arcane
In Dragon Age Origins:

Kite her out the door, stomp her face, loot her sword, go out, let the bowmen kill you, do the bonus gimmick escape dungeon, go to the Landsmeet, see she's alive because the game checks whether you lost the fight, kill her again, get second copy of her sword. Mint.

It is pretty much just for bragging rights at that stage since you should not need any more money and her weapon is pretty crap compared to the Maul of Doom you get from Gorim. I usually just convince her to let me pass without having to stomp her face in a second time.

Hassar

Scholar
DA and it’s ilk slid into mediocrity when they stopped emphasizing role playing in terms of meaningful choices and started adopting dialogue wheels, DPS and cooldowns instead of weighty combat (though a lot of games suffer from this now with their 3 hit combo systems and floaty movements instead of the detailed weight and hit box mechanics of games like SF which I really think should be adopted into action RPGs at this point), bloated budgets, and more emphasis on chacrater models than actually being able to control all aspects of your character’s development.

Cael

Arcane
DA and it’s ilk slid into mediocrity when they stopped emphasizing role playing in terms of meaningful choices and started adopting dialogue wheels, DPS and cooldowns instead of weighty combat (though a lot of games suffer from this now with their 3 hit combo systems and floaty movements instead of the detailed weight and hit box mechanics of games like SF which I really think should be adopted into action RPGs at this point), bloated budgets, and more emphasis on chacrater models than actually being able to control all aspects of your character’s development.
DA always had cooldowns, even Origins. You can't ping it for that. The rest? Go right ahead.

Hassar

Scholar
DA always had cooldowns, even Origins. You can't ping it for that. The rest? Go right ahead.

Fair. Even though I don’t think DA:O was slanting as much towards action RPG elements as later games did so I think the cooldowns in a tactical combat scenario were more forgivable. I also think any use of cooldowns tends to go towards decline but have been proven wrong.

imweasel

D8hfjch.jpg

"Get woke, go broke".

EA and Bioware seem to be more interested in pushing a regressive agenda than actually making money these days.

The next Dragon Age would be a mix of a gay pride parade, your typical violent antifa demonstration and Sharia law. Just hope it never gets made and EA shuts down that SJW infested shithole in Edmonton due to financial problems.

DayofBlow

Educated
In Dragon Age Origins:

It is pretty much just for bragging rights at that stage since you should not need any more money and her weapon is pretty crap compared to the Maul of Doom you get from Gorim. I usually just convince her to let me pass without having to stomp her face in a second time.

Bragging rights is fun! It's also the way to get the most out of the game, she's gone after that anyway so you might as well kill her. Without exploits you'd probably miss fighting her properly both times, you should absolutely let yourself get captured since that's extra content with a bunch of neat reactivity depending on how you attempt your escape. And the rematch you'd just do a speech check and fuck off. It's kinda lame. Sword's a neat bonus due to the codex entry.

Cael

Arcane
In Dragon Age Origins:

Bragging rights is fun! It's also the way to get the most out of the game, she's gone after that anyway so you might as well kill her. Without exploits you'd probably miss fighting her properly both times, you should absolutely let yourself get captured since that's extra content with a bunch of neat reactivity depending on how you attempt your escape. And the rematch you'd just do a speech check and fuck off. It's kinda lame. Sword's a neat bonus due to the codex entry.
I didn't stomp her face in a second time. I kicked her ass, looted her and walked up to the archer I left standing and deliberately became a pin cushion the first time :D So, yes, I got the escape sequence as well, and the dwarf and the giant were hilarious.

Funposter

Arcane

D8hfjch.jpg

"Get woke, go broke".

EA and Bioware seem to be more interested in pushing a regressive agenda than actually making money these days.

The next Dragon Age would be a mix of a gay pride parade, your typical violent antifa demonstration and Sharia law. Just hope it never gets made and EA shuts down that SJW infested shithole in Edmonton due to financial problems.

I'd much rather that Bioware weren't shut down. It helps provide a containment zone for genuinely awful people in the industry, and without it, they may spread to other development teams which are slightly less pozzed and ruin them too.

Poseidon00

Arcane
The thread died because we know all about Dragon Age we need to know now. It's going to be yet another hamfisted attempt to turn a once promising IP into a low quality, thinly veiled reflection of the developers wacko politics that nobody gives a fuck about. Been there, done that, seen the decline.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Searched the forum for an Anthem thread, this was about as close as it gets.

Today, RPGCodex made me proud.

I declined this opportunity to make a new thread for that heap of shit. Happy New Year!

Malpercio

Arcane
Oh wow, RPG Codex became a forum were people like The Quartering are linked and taken seriously.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom