Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Mustawd

Valve can take a lower cut from devs, but they don't want. Valve good.

Nigga, Idgaf about devs. I do care about products.

When you buy shoes are you doing it so all the Malaysian kids have sweatshop jobs? No, you buy them cuz those are the shoes you like.

I get supporting devs who make games you like, but no one is starving if they make a good game on Steam. This whole buddy-buddy thing with devs and gamers is just weird to me.

Mustawd

CS is still strong,pretty sure that it will outlive the fortnite

Fyi, you don’t need a “the” in front of a named noun. It’s like saying “I’m going shopping at the Walmart”

It’s just “I’m going shopping at Walmart” Sorry, I saw some Russian make that mistake and it’s been bugging me all week.

EDIT: If you’re using a named noun to describe/label another noun then it’s ok to use “the” in that way.

“it will outlive the fortnite fad”

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Fyi, you don’t need a “the” in front of a named noun. It’s like saying “I’m going shopping at the Walmart”

Actually, it's ok if he's insinuating that fortinte is a euphimism for a pest, then it makes perfect sense and is quite salient. In context of the sentence, i.e. "it will outlive the fortnite", it indicates a really high level of linguistic understanding and intuition.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
CS is still strong,pretty sure that it will outlive the fortnite

It’s just “I’m going shopping at Walmart” Sorry, I saw some Russian make that mistake and it’s been bugging me all week.

EDIT: If you’re using a named noun to describe/label another noun then it’s ok to use “the” in that way.

“it will outlive the fortnite fad”
Yeah,i know mate. Most of my bad spelling is because i do other shit while writing or thinking about something else. Most of the time i just see that there is not a read line under the words and keep on going :). Also it is intentional.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane

When you buy shoes are you doing it so all the Malaysian kids have sweatshop jobs? No, you buy them cuz those are the shoes you like.

I get supporting devs who make games you like, but no one is starving if they make a good game on Steam. This whole buddy-buddy thing with devs and gamers is just weird to me.
But should Valve take 30% of devs' profits? Yes or no?

Tehdagah

Arcane
They did but not anymore.
http://archive.is/42pDf
IMHO Valve should still decrease their cut to 15 or 20% and they would still do fucking amazing. I don't really see why not.
They already did lower it to 20%/25% for the bigger sellers. I imagine they'll hold off on doing anything permanent until they see how that does. We're talking 10s of millions(if not hundreds of millions) of dollars in just a 10% lower cut. Not something you change lightly.
Damn this is awful. Big sellers have privileges but fuck everyone else? Not surprising so many indie devs sympathize with Epic.

Btw: https://techraptor.net/content/spellbreak-switching-to-epic-games-store-exclusively

Another one.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
IMHO Valve should still decrease their cut to 15 or 20% and they would still do fucking amazing. I don't really see why not.
They already did lower it to 20%/25% for the bigger sellers. I imagine they'll hold off on doing anything permanent until they see how that does. We're talking 10s of millions(if not hundreds of millions) of dollars in just a 10% lower cut. Not something you change lightly.
Damn this is awful. Big sellers have privileges but fuck everyone else? Not surprising so many indie devs sympathize with Epic.

Btw: https://techraptor.net/content/spellbreak-switching-to-epic-games-store-exclusively

Another one.
:hmmm:
They sympathize because they believe that could get them more money. In people's eyes the tax collector is always evul. You are just saying "this greedy people are more deserving than this greedy people". 30% is reasonable cut.

Last edited:

Thane Solus

Arcane

Another one.
:hmmm:
They sympathize because they believe that could get more money. In people's eyes the tax collector is always evul. You are just saying "this greedy people are more deserving than this greedy people". 30% is reasonable cut.

Its much more complex than that, but Steam getting 30% its too much indeed, 20% would be quite fine. For those that dont know selling to US, also gets you another -10% (depends on derp country) which you can recover in time, maybe, with a good lawyer and some investment. So in the end Steam takes 35-40% for US...

30% was quite fine, in 2010-2014, after that the store became Google Play II, so the developers has to do most of the PR (or if they get lucky with a good polished game, or an explosion of PR somewhere, then maybe not so much), cause u wont get so many views, or views that get into sales. So basically you work on advertising steam and your steam page, which is quite hilarious, cause if steam bans you or you cant work with them anymore you are dead:))) Smart developers develop a name and reputation, and just use steam for steam boys, but try to promote their page and the selling on their webpages. Of course this is very hard, and it requires many years, and a decent community. Maybe VD/Styx, etc.

Even if Epic is absolute a failure, for a while might make Valve, wake up from their cocaine trips, and do things.

Mustawd

I don’t really care. Here are the things I care about

1 - prices and discounts
2 - Availability of games
3 - Search/browse function for games
4 - DRM policies
5 - ease of use and performance on PC
6 - Controller support

Steam and epic both have the same DRM policies afaik, but I mention it because reasons #4 and #2 are why I also buy games on GoG.

There are some games simply not carried on Steam that I can get on GoG.

Regardless, the fee charged to devs isn’t on my list. If the Steam fee was somehow affecting many games being made then I might, but it’s simply not the case. And even then I shrug at fee % of Steam.

The only way Epic store gets my attention is if it does what Steam or GoG does, but better.

ortucis

Prophet

1 - prices and discounts

You do realize that higher steam percentage means developers add that to the game price, right?

Mustawd

You do realize that higher steam percentage means developers add that to the game price, right?

Not necessarily. Some devs might price their product in accordance to the market. Some might not. If a game normally goes for $30 on Steam, as a dev why would I price it lower on Epic if I’m confident it will sell?

Also, does Epic have a slew of cheaper games I’m not aware of? I’m specifically talking about the same games being overall cheaper on Epic compared to Steam.

Finally, you’re missing the point here. It’s just ONE factor of many. But sure, if I see lower overall prices at Epic I’d start to pay attention.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

1 - prices and discounts

True.Just look at EA games, they are cheaper, because they keep 100%.

Reinhardt

Arcane
If developers don't care about my convenience and my opinion, why should i care about their profits?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

1 - prices and discounts

:nocountryforshitposters:
Are you a retard,prices don't go down.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Also, does Epic have a slew of cheaper games I’m not aware of? I’m specifically talking about the same games being overall cheaper on Epic compared to Steam.

Metro Exodus is supposedly $50 on Epic store, but for Euros it's still 59.99€ so I can't confirm. Any of you US fags willing to risk a visit?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Metro Exodus is supposedly $50 on Epic store, but for Euros it's still 59.99€ so I can't confirm. Any of you US fags willing to risk a visit?
It was reported that it is true, the US version is cheaper. Pretty shitty on the publisher's side that the rest of the world still pays the original price.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Funny to see Google's response to Epic's upcoming Android store (supposedly coming this year): https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-02-11-google-has-no-plans-to-lower-its-30-percent-cut

Similar to Valve, it, as the market leader, has no plans to lower its cut to compete the new challenger.

Google has no plans to lower its 30% cut
CEO maintains figure is the industry standard, despite Epic Games' efforts to bypass it

Google will not be lowering the share it currently takes from mobile developers any time soon.

In an earnings call following the tech giant's latest financials, transcribed by Seeking Alpha, the executive team was asked whether this was the "right long-term rate for Google Play" after "large developers are starting to come up with... workarounds."

This is almost certainly a reference to Epic Games' decision last summer to release Fortnite on Android via a separate launcher rather than the official store, with founder Tim Sweeney telling GamesIndustry.biz at the time 30% was "too high a cost" for developers to stomach.

However, CEO Sundar Pichai disagrees, saying in the earnings call: "On Google Play... thousnads of developers rely on it to safely and seamlessly distribute their game to billions of Android users worldwide. And we invest a lot in our infrastructure to continuously make sure their overall experience is safe and results in high engagement and for the developer's back.

"So I think there's a value exchange there and it's been the industry standard. And so, I think we will continue down that path... but obviously always adapt to where the market is."

Pichai's comment on keeping experiences safe is likely a reference to an exploit the Android launcher for Fortnite suffered around launch. The bug enabled hackers to install malware on users' devices -- something Google disclosed publicly, despite Sweeney's claims this was "irresponsible".

Last week, Zynga CEO Frank Gibeau said it was "too early to tell" whether Fortnite's byspassing of the Google Play store fee was the start of a trend.

Epic has since furthered its stance that store fees should be lower with the launch of the Epic Games Store, which only takes 12% of developers' sales compared to the usual 30% -- and is even planning to bring it to Android later this year.

Of course, it's easier to offer such generous revenue share when you have money pouring in from a global phenomenon such as Fortnite. On iOS alone, the game has generated more than $500 million -- and has done so faster than Clash Royale and Honor of Kings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom