Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Master II in 2019

Martyr

Arcane
yo guise, I need halp.

I've got Dungeon Master 2 for DOS as a CD ROM and I am unable to play/install it.
my Win10 computer doesn't even show installing as an option on the autoran and when I manually try to install, it only says that this program is not supported, which baffles me because I was able to install and play Wizardry 1-5 from the Wizardry Archives CD on the same computer.
so the next thing I did was copy all the files from the CD and paste them into my D/ drive. then I followed this tutorial:

but this did not work, instead I got the following errors:
VDcyAaK.jpg

if all fails, sure I can just download it from any abandonware site, but I'd prefer to get my CD version to work. so maybe there's some DOS Box genius here, who's able to help. that'd be much appreciated !

just

Liturgist
you probably mounted into directory d:/dm2
try typing "cd dm2" to get to that directory, then run install or whatever you need to do (or even better type "dir" and paste the screenshot again)
it's been ages since i used dosbox tho, might be wrong

Leitz

Learned
I just tried it out because I want to play this in the near future. I downloaded a random version from the internet and dragged the DM2.BAT into dosbox. Works with music so far. I didn't bother with the sound setup though.

Edit: oh wait

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I've found it's easiest to use D-Fend Reloaded for my DOSBox games. No need to fiddle with paths and CONF files, but you may have have to manually change the setup and play files.

Martyr

Arcane
I made some sort of progress, the game's still not working though ...
in DOS I wrote:

mount d: d:/dm2
d:
setup

which brought up this:
x5UcmD9.jpg

I let it Auto Detect, it played a melody I could hear clearly.
then I saved the configuration and got back to the normal DOS screen. after the setup was done I typed "install" next. there it says that I have to type the drive I want the game to be installed to, plus a ":". however, doesn't matter if I type C: D: or E:, pressing Enter does nothing. if I type C, D or E without the ":" it says that's an illegal command. as soon as I type the ":" I can not progress any futher.

9q5NwZv.jpg

any ideas?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
did you forget to mount c before you tried to install something on it?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
alternately you can just make an image of the CD and mount like this

mount C C
imgmount D "CD\dungeonmaster2.cue" -t iso -fs iso

then go to d and install from there to c

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
what does your directory where dosbox is located looks like?

you need to mount specific directories as drives

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Don't mount your real C drive as C.
I don't even think DOSBox allows you to do that. Make a separate folder that you'll use as the "virtual" C in DOSBox.

Jeez, a supposed codexer clueless about DOSBox and DOS in general. You need to hand in your badge. Sorry.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I don't even think DOSBox allows you to do that. Make a separate folder that you'll use as the "virtual" C in DOSBox.

Jeez, a supposed codexer clueless about DOSBox and DOS in general. You need to hand in your badge. Sorry.

yeah Martyr, you need to make two directories, lets call them C and D
then you can mount directory C as C and D as D
into directory D you put your CD-files of DM2 or the cd image, depending on what you have

Martyr

Arcane

my experience with DOS Box comes down to gog games with pre-installed DOS and abandonware games, which work if you drag and drop. I'm still pretty young. :?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

my experience with DOS Box comes down to gog games with pre-installed DOS and abandonware games, which work if you drag and drop. I'm still pretty young. :?

don't worry, once you've done it once you'll remember and we all had to figure it out in the beginning

FeelTheRads

Arcane
here's an example from one of my config files:

mount c d:\games\oldgames\dosboxece\games
imgmount d "d:\games\oldgames\darksunwakeoftheravager\cdcompressedmusic\ravager.cue" -t iso
c:
cd ravager

C is a folder where I keep the games. On D I'm mounting an .iso directly.

Read this page:
https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/MOUNT

Martyr

Arcane
Use D-Fend Reloaded already! It makes mounting so much easier.

thank you so much, I figured it out myself, the game runs flawlessly !
love.png

EDIT: upon restarting the game crashes.
rating_negativeman.png
but I've come farther with D-Fend than with plain Dos Box, so there is hope.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom